My Allentown review

G, you are priceless!

You take Boston to task for using and executing crowd pleasing moves as re-hashed (even though the stated design of the show is a continuation of the 2000 'Red' show) but you do not see the same in other corps including your beloved Blue Devils. What you see as a re-hash, I see as signature moves.

Also, if, as you suggest, Boston's show design is at best a 6th-8th place show AND Boston is now finishing in 6th, doesn't that make the case that Boston should tie for the title as they are executing their show to the absolute maximum it can be performed?

After all, the designers are not on the field. Shouldn't corps be adjudicated based on how well they perform their own show? Shouldn't those that perform their show to its' maximum effectiveness be awarded the top prize? If so, only corps that perform their own show to it's maximum performance level, should be awarded the title, no? (Such abherrent thinking actually could actually make the case for the twelve way tie!)

For the record, my 'fact' (read: opinion) is that it's NOT only a sixth place design.

Edited by strutta

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if, as you suggest, Boston's show design is at best a 6th-8th place show AND Boston is now finishing in 6th, doesn't that make the case that Boston should tie for the title as they are executing their show to the absolute maximum it can be performed?

After all, the designers are not on the field. Shouldn't corps be adjudicated based on how well they perform their own show? Shouldn't those that perform their show to its' maximum effectiveness be awarded the top prize? If so, only corps that perform their own show to it's maximum performance level, should be awarded the title, no? (Such abherrent thinking actually could actually make the case for the twelve way tie!)

For the record, my 'fact' (read: opinion) is that it's NOT only a sixth place design.

I respectfully disagree.

The designers may not be on the field, but the sheets do also call for the judges to determine a score for repertoire in many of the subcaptions. A corps, with a more complex show, that performs it to the max should beat a corps, with a less complex show, that performs it to the max. Otherwise, why wouldn't ever corps stand on the field and play well for a perfect score? Or march extremely simplistic follow-the-leader drill while playing well for a perfect score?

I admit that I'm not an expert on the tick system (although I've been trying to learn over the last few weeks), but it seems even then, when the nature of the system was more towards executing a flawless show, there was still room for judges to determine, which flawless show deserved a higher score.

Nikk's article on the evolution of judging in DCI explains what I'm trying to get at much better. Just read that! :beer:

to clear up a few thigs.

I do feel that the Cadetsare a good corps, just not where thwy are now score wise. fso, if in my view that comes across as negative, sorry. people on here ##### they dont see honest reviews, then i go and give one i labored over for an hour, and people ##### at the honesty.

no offense cadets fans but your drumline did get a gift.

this is why people fear doing reviews. the aggravation isnt worth it.

Woobie, yell at Wiesey, i dont have your number(hint)

by the way...i have seen cell phones sold in a lot of places, but this was a first....this wireless place who is a reseller for AT&T, Sprint and TMobile set up shop in the souvie area....spend mad $$ on ads too. whoever runs the place, kudos and contact Cingular.

to clear up a few thigs.

I do feel that the Cadetsare a good corps, just not where thwy are now score wise. fso, if in my view that comes across as negative, sorry. people on here ##### they dont see honest reviews, then i go and give one i labored over for an hour, and people ##### at the honesty.

no offense cadets fans but your drumline did get a gift.

this is why people fear doing reviews. the aggravation isnt worth it.

Woobie, yell at Wiesey, i dont have your number(hint)

Great review Jeff.....

I hope people reading it understands that it's YOUR opinion, and just that.

I agree that the SCV percussion, esp the battery, is the tops this year. They played GREAT at West Chester. PR also had a REAL nice snare moment that may have been the single best lick of the evening (it was my fave anyway), but overall I agree with your SCV percussion assessment.

Mike

now i am no expert, but i have cleaned a snare line or 3 in my life, and let me tell you, cutting the line, pointing at a kid and saying fix it 20 times is not the way to clean the line. Example......during the whole sit down stand up part, they have a cool thing where they are righ hand on the side of the drum, left hand doing a good old fashioned ballad cup type of motion....cool lick. however, they have like 8/9 different approaches to the drum happening. so instead of taking 5 minutes to get everyones approach on the same page, they just cut and say fix it. no wonder their drum scores are as they are. this is a young line, and that kind of attention to detail should be mandatory, and should happen often, as the younger the player, the more likely they need to do it til it comes to be second nature. i know as part of a senior corps line of experienced players we did it. i know to some my comments are not nice and hurting the kids, but sorry, the sacred green cow is not above some criticism. and what is hurting the kids is not my comments but the staffs in actions.

aside from that bugging me all day, great ensemble rehearsal. nice to see that Cavies are like everyone else in how they rehearse and their is no secret trick to it.

Having seen many a fine drum instructor, one here right beside me for many many years....... I have a new found respect for you, Jeff.

That is NO way to teach. Do it again without further explanation does NOTHING to expand or correct.

You really hit the nail on the head.

THANK YOU!

Edited by TerriDitt57

Well, I respect your opinion and your right to say what you want, so thank you for the nice review. I will state for the record that the Cadets got as much or more audience response than any other corps competing on both days, and they are now one of the cleaner corps on the field. I also believe their drumline not only deserved the title that night, but that they were heads and tails above the competition. It's all a matter of how you look at their parts, their performance, and their technique (which is the best in the business in my opinion). But you are also correct that the Vanguard has an AWESOME line. I could listen to them all day. I think what the Cadets have done with Fanfare and Allegro is amazing and very fun and artistic. Malaguena is top notch, and Rocky Point Holiday is fast, frenetic, and so exciting at the end. The crowd seemed to agree. They are an excellent corps that entertains and performs well.

The crowd didnt give nearly the response I expected for either Rocky Point or the Z-pull..I was embarassed that I was th eonly one cheering when "RPH" started...and nobody "leaped" to their feet until they were finnished...not true for Phantom or Blue Devils...Cadets didnt get the best response of the night and Crossmen received alot more response than Cadets.....

~G~

I respectfully disagree.

The designers may not be on the field, but the sheets do also call for the judges to determine a score for repertoire in many of the subcaptions. A corps, with a more complex show, that performs it to the max should beat a corps, with a less complex show, that performs it to the max. Otherwise, why wouldn't ever corps stand on the field and play well for a perfect score? Or march extremely simplistic follow-the-leader drill while playing well for a perfect score?

I admit that I'm not an expert on the tick system (although I've been trying to learn over the last few weeks), but it seems even then, when the nature of the system was more towards executing a flawless show, there was still room for judges to determine, which flawless show deserved a higher score.

Nikk's article on the evolution of judging in DCI explains what I'm trying to get at much better. Just read that! :beer:

We're actually in agreement Matt. My last couple of sentences point out that I think such thinking is abherrent(sp) and not consistent with the way shows should be judged. I was using G's logic and taking it to it's ridiculous conclusion to make a point.