Chart you want to hear now with electronics

Actually, hearing those pieces as you describe would be great on the field in DCI! :devil::starwars:

I'd be OK with the former as long as the strings had to march.

Harmonium

I no more want to hear a particular piece that originally had electronics done for that reason with electronics in drum corps than I want to hear a corps play Barber's Adagio for Strings with actual strings or Ticheli's Blue Shades with a clarinet solo. The originals already exist; what I want is to hear how they translate to the medium of drum corps.

The medium of drum corps has included electronics now for, what, a decade? I think taking a prog rock trio like Rush and adapting it for horns, drum line, grounded percussion, and electronics is a HUGE departure from the original and would indeed be the medium of drum corps. Adapting Pat Metheny Group for drum line, huge brass 'choir' & front ensemble instruments that typically are not found on PMG albums.

I'm sure what you meant to say was "traditional" drum corps instrumentation, but of course that has changed a myriad of times over the years.

I guess I'm with you in the sense that I don't care about straight adaptations of music (why I liked the 2010 Crossmen version of PMG music that strayed very far from the source material, for example)

• Like 1

The medium of drum corps has included electronics now for, what, a decade? I think taking a prog rock trio like Rush and adapting it for horns, drum line, grounded percussion, and electronics is a HUGE departure from the original and would indeed be the medium of drum corps. Adapting Pat Metheny Group for drum line, huge brass 'choir' & front ensemble instruments that typically are not found on PMG albums.

Teal Sound did something like this, but with the music of Dream Theater and Coheed & Cambria in 2010. It was their first year in World Class, and was received *very* well by audiences all over the country.

Here's a short clip from a DCI Spotlight a couple of year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I really don't want to hear anything else featuring electronics. Bluecoats 2014 was a great show, but Bluecoats 2015 was just dreadful. Way too much synth. But after hearing close up videos of the hornline this season, I can see why they tried to cover it up with synth. Check out the videos on youtube, and you'll see why. Ouch.

• Like 2

I've thought it could be cool to have a stage in the center of the field with a grand piano shell with a synth. Audition and find a concert pianist and build a show around Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F featuring the piano player dressed in a tux and tails.

I'll be honest, I really don't want to hear anything else featuring electronics. Bluecoats 2014 was a great show, but Bluecoats 2015 was just dreadful. Way too much synth. But after hearing close up videos of the hornline this season, I can see why they tried to cover it up with synth. Check out the videos on youtube, and you'll see why. Ouch.

I thought it was just me. Could not agree more.