Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

Lee (and the people who support his crazy theories) don't even know the current emphasis in the judging system. I laughed out loud until I realized he was serious. What was more shocking was the people who commented in support of his views. People need to figure it out. Also, some people should not bite so quick without thinking about what they are putting in print. You may want to go back and re-read your comments. :shutup:

To be fair to Lee and any other bloggers, I don't think they're "killing" DCA any more than the Bucs are.

• Like 1

Lee (and the people who support his crazy theories) don't even know the current emphasis in the judging system. I laughed out loud until I realized he was serious. What was more shocking was the people who commented in support of his views. People need to figure it out. Also, some people should not bite so quick without thinking about what they are putting in print. You may want to go back and re-read your comments. :shutup:

Well, to be fair, there are times when the judges don't know the current emphasis of the judging system either.

:devil:

• Like 1

the problems in DCA, IMO, are far from the on field product. This past year was the best top 6 I can remember since 87 ( I know people say 72, I was 3 and don't remember it at all) and the best top 8 I ever remember.

• Like 1

6) This is really a terrible idea. If a staffing team has figured out a formula that works they should not be punished and forced to break up. Not to mention, many people out there have different teaching/design philosophies. There is no guarantee that two people who have done amazing work on their own or with their own teams will work together. There style may be too different and cause the entire corps to suffer. Also, how would this be enforced? What's to stop someone from quitting because they were drafted somewhere they didn't want to go? Or am I completely missing the point of this idea?

Wow ... I completely misread what he wrote. I originally read it as simply having staff members from the top groups consult lower-ranked groups (if they want). Completely glossed over the "draft" part. Yeah, horrible idea.

7) From what I've seen the problem isn't in the judging, but in the judges. I haven't seen the language on the judge sheets for DCA but I'm guessing it's not much different than that for DCI and WGI. Most comments I've heard from various staffs are that the judges are terrible. I've heard plenty of tapes to back up this position as well. Many judges will give stock answers to seem like they know what's happening without actually addressing what is happening on the field. I've heard judges make comments about DCA and DCI corps separate from the corps that is on the field. If so many people agree that there are problems with the numbers then the judges need to be fixed. Having training courses every year or two would help keep judges up to date on new trends so corps are being rewarded for pushing the envelope and using new rule changes instead of being penalized for it. Or DCA could institute a committee of selected staff members from each corps that review tapes after the season to discuss which judges are missing things or making poor comments. Of course it seems like the best solution would be to actually get new judges. We need some new blood who actually understand the state that DCA is in today and not what it was in 80s.

Agreed. The problem is that many judges interpret the sheets differently, which can leading to dramatic bumps/drops.

Wow ... I completely misread what he wrote. I originally read it as simply having staff members from the top groups consult lower-ranked groups (if they want). Completely glossed over the "draft" part. Yeah, horrible idea.

No to mention you'd have a hard time getting any staff to agree to that.

I work where I do because I like the people, don't mind the drive, and a host of other reasons. The list of corps I'd be willing to move to would be a short one, and I suspect that's true for many others who teach in DCA. Anyone seriously bandying about terms like "staff draft" better be willing to put up a giant truckload of cash to convince folks to actually teach where they are "drafted" or learn a new term: No.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

the problems in DCA, IMO, are far from the on field product. This past year was the best top 6 I can remember since 87 ( I know people say 72, I was 3 and don't remember it at all) and the best top 8 I ever remember.

I agree.

The 1972 top 5 still tops my all-time list.... hey, I was a bit older than 3 that year and went to Finals...LOL...

But the top 8 this year? Terrific. And 9 and 10 weren't too shabby, either. :tongue: Neither were the non-finalists.

Edited by Fran Haring

I love the title of this post, the most genius and funny thing I have ever seen in rebuttal to a blog post, in the history of Drum Corps Planet.

Bravo. Clap clap clap.

However, to disagree with an objective assessment of the state of DCA based on the historical records is misguided. It's like the people who insist the Earth is flat. You are potentially dooming all-age drum corps through intentional ignorance of the facts and inaction.

And for the record -- the solution for DCA is not to make the Reading Buccaneers lose. That would fail in misery. The solution for DCA is to give every other corps else an equal chance to win. And if the Buccaneers still win then - genius, they are better competitors. But right now, DCA is not competitive at all.

Not because I said so, because the historical record says so. Once a year, everyone gets together and gives the Buccaneers big shiny trophies, tells them how great they are. And less people show up to watch it. Where is the competition? There is none. Why should anybody who loves to compete march in the Cabs, Renegades, Bushwackers, or any other corps who does not fit that model of success? Don't bother, if you ever want to win DCA - forget it. That goal is laughable, in fact, based on the last decade of your life. Form a soccer or softball team instead if you want to compete. You will not find it in DCA.

Like I said, it's funny. But sad, at the same time. Like a mime.

I agree.

The 1972 top 5 still tops my all-time list.... hey, I was a bit older than 3 that year and went to Finals...LOL...

But the top 8 this year? Terrific. And 9 and 10 weren't too shabby, either. :tongue: Neither were the non-finalists.

I was there. I just don't remember it and it's not a drinking related memory loss lol

• Like 1