Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

I rarely post in these threads and mostly observe, but I feel an aspect of this conversation isn't necessarily being discussed and I believe needs to be.

With all the talk of "how to beat the Buc's" or anything like that one key aspect of drum corps is being completely overlooked by these blog posts...

Drum corps is not all about winning championships.

Here's a few examples,

Example 1,

I've been fortunate enough to have marched Bluecoats 2014. You know what part of that I take away as the greatest success? Not that we got 2nd and were the highest scoring Bluecoats ever (although I would be stupid to say that wasn't awesome too). But that score will be beaten, (hopefully) one day that placement will be beaten. What I take away from that year was I marched in a show that made and will make countless of younger people want to march in that organization. I participated in a show that inspired other's to join this activity. Does that happen in DCA? absolutely it does. Does it happen on as large of a platform or reach as many people? No not really, but that's because of so many other factors.

Example 2,

I have marched 10 years with the Connecticut Hurricanes. In my opinion one of the greatest years if not the greatest year in current history is 2009. After Prelims we were tied with Minnesota for 2nd. Finals we were passed by Empire and landed in 4th. Heartbroken? Yeah. Did everyone want to come back the next year and try again? Heck yeah. Just because we didn't win that year doesn't mean that we didn't all love every single second we spent on that field. In fact it fueled us to come back. I'm seeing the exact same fire, family atmsophere, and positive views from the people I know who marched Cabs this summer.

Example 3.

This season for the Hurricanes was a particularly special one. Why? Everyone though we were dead. People on this website though we had folded. We put together a corps, put together a show, and made finals. Was it our best show in history? Did we think we were going to win a championship? No. Did we end the season with a greater love and appreciation for the corps, the activity, and each other? 100 times yes. People forget what this activity is about. Some people paint it as a lesser DCI, some people paint it as anything else entirely. Yet what a lot of people don't realize this circuit is about, is for the people IN the organizations. This activity is our hobby, this activity is our break from the 9-5's. This activity is one where we can get together with friends and play, spin, march, or whatever. That's always what it's been about, communities. A lot of people can't afford to go over to Reading, they live too far away. So they join a corps closest to them and they become part of a family. Sometimes your family wins, sometimes it doesn't.

That's why the Bucs aren't killing DCA, I don't even think it's dying. With a stronger top 10 then there's been in a little while, the fact that we still have two thriving classes, corps from oversea's competing, DCA is fine and everyone needs to stop worrying about who should or should not win and advocate for DCA for the right reasons.

amen brother. i sat in a hotel conference room in October 1994 and listened to the bottom line being the Westshoremen were done. Folding.

2 months later, the corps was larger than it had been in a decade, and had a season of many incredible moments ending up in 2nd and winning percussion. We never thought we'd catch Cabs. We just wanted to be up there somewhere. A year later win it all.

we won't go into the years after in this thread

rehearsing harder does nothing.

you have to rehearse smarter

Yep... members spread all over the place and only together day or so a week (no idea anymore).... drill and music more complicated.....

Look at Cadets2 after they got a guy who has been with DCA forever (Templin) and has worked with this..... 2nd place.....

rehearsing harder does nothing.

you have to rehearse smarter

Yep... members spread all over the place and only together day or so a week (no idea anymore).... drill and music more complicated.....

Look at Cadets2 after they got a guy who has been with DCA forever (Templin) and has worked with this..... 2nd place.....

I caught it somewhere along the way that practice doesn't make perfect, but that perfect practice makes perfect.

• Like 2

In 2015 we should be happy there still is drum corps competitions around! As the years go by we lose more than we gain. No one is ever happy with competition of any kind, whether it be sports or marching band or drum corps. The sheets were designed by the corps, now what corps designed them you'll have to see the minutes, but it's NOT DCA or DCI's fault. Years ago while marching with a Rochester corps, we saw the same 2 to 3 corps at every show. Very rare to see the eastern corps. Our own show saw those same corps every year. Talk about turning off the fans. Now if Cabs, Bucs, etc were there, then we had a crowd.

Darn, did I go off topic? LOL

In 2015 we should be happy there still is drum corps competitions around! As the years go by we lose more than we gain. No one is ever happy with competition of any kind, whether it be sports or marching band or drum corps. The sheets were designed by the corps, now what corps designed them you'll have to see the minutes, but it's NOT DCA or DCI's fault. Years ago while marching with a Rochester corps, we saw the same 2 to 3 corps at every show. Very rare to see the eastern corps. Our own show saw those same corps every year. Talk about turning off the fans. Now if Cabs, Bucs, etc were there, then we had a crowd.

Darn, did I go off topic? LOL

Exactly.

...annnnd the travel issue raises it's ugly head once again. It is what it is and we move forward. It's a given down here. Is it fair...no. Does it put an unfair financial burden on those outside of the Northeast...yes. Is it going to change...no. We all have our burdens to bear. I just want to keep getting better.

Dan

• Like 1

...annnnd the travel issue raises it's ugly head once again. It is what it is and we move forward. It's a given down here. Is it fair...no. Does it put an unfair financial burden on those outside of the Northeast...yes. Is it going to change...no. We all have our burdens to bear. I just want to keep getting better.

Dan

:ninja:

Dan'l - Between your group and ours, not too many folks can appreciate the "other world" and having that monstrocity looking you in the face, year after year and yet - come Labor Day weekend(and the occasional early season trip) - there we are..

And it still stumps some folks within DCA that the QUALITY and the QUANTITY of both the Class A and Open Class corps from 'outside' the... No - from THE "outside" regions can actually make a statement and create a little buzz by their presence at Finals.

You got the motive correct - gotta get better, regardless of scores.. Fans in ANY region will show you love..

Pat

Fortunately the North East corps have had it made as they can travel in and around Jersey, CT and Eastern PA. Rochester corps and Canadian corps (at the time) competed together. The Rochester/Syracuse/Canadian corps had to travel to CT, NJ and eastern PA to be able to compete with the other corps. On a rare occassion Cabs would come up to a season show in Rochester. I remember back in the 1970's a show in Lockport, NY with Crusaders, Yankee Rebels and maybe Guelph Royalaires. There may have been others too.

Minnesota might make a trip to Jamestown show as did Heatwave one year. CV would try to make a NE show too.

Now, the far corps have to wait till Championships to meet

Dan

if the fan base down there grew enough to have enough bodies to replace those that wouldn't travel, I think it's a no brainer.

We saw just from going from Rochester to Annapolis then back people in one region wouldn't travel to the other and vice versa. You move it down there or out west, you'll have people from both regions that won't go. So, do the regions have enough bodies coming to their shows now to make up the difference?

Some thought Winston Salem would just turn out because...locals, you name it, at $40 a pop.Plus they thought they'd get DCi fans that knew nothing of DCA.

and i'm pretty sure that stadium wasn't coming free, and they have a tenant that would want to use it that weekend from time to time

I have a suggestion.

When the Buccaneers win the 2016 DCA Championship, which they will - and 350 fewer fans and two fewer corps show up to DCA, I hereby propose that we simply cut and paste this thread.

I'll do the same with my blog, that will save everyone a lot of time, which we can all spend watching competitive sports on television.