Blog Posts are Killing DCA, not the Reading Buccaneers

I have a suggestion.

When the Buccaneers win the 2016 DCA Championship, which they will - and 350 fewer fans and two fewer corps show up to DCA, I hereby propose that we simply cut and paste this thread.

I'll do the same with my blog, that will save everyone a lot of time, which we can all spend watching competitive sports on television.

says you,............

• Like 2

Did I somehow get on that #### FB group where I keep reading who killed drum corps.

Yeah remove a corps from competing that would really increase interest in competition.

..nm the rest,,, RAMD gripe......

In 2015 we should be happy there still is drum corps competitions around! As the years go by we lose more than we gain. No one is ever happy with competition of any kind, whether it be sports or marching band or drum corps. The sheets were designed by the corps, now what corps designed them you'll have to see the minutes, but it's NOT DCA or DCI's fault. Years ago while marching with a Rochester corps, we saw the same 2 to 3 corps at every show. Very rare to see the eastern corps. Our own show saw those same corps every year. Talk about turning off the fans. Now if Cabs, Bucs, etc were there, then we had a crowd.

Darn, did I go off topic? LOL

In the last 10 years, this had to be one of the best show lineups:

July 30, 2005 Winston-Salem, NC

1. Buccaneers 89.013

2. Bushwackers 84.563

3. SF Renegades 84.475

4. CorpsVets 76.688

5. Hurricanes 73.913

6. Carolina Gold 73.325

7. Heat Wave 61.850

The show was in North Carolina and had corps from the Northeast, Southeast and the West.

IMHO, I think it'd be neat to have a corps go over and compete in DCUK finals. Kidsgrove has been able to come over here, so which corps would you want to see go over the pond? Is it a super stretch? Yes. Jobs and school would both be obstacles, but it'd be neat to see a DCA corps or 2 go over and pay Kidsgrove a visit on THEIR turf.

:ninja:

Fans in ANY region will show you love..

Pat

I'm easy to find in the stands with my MBI hat, an 8 pointed star pin with the "C" in the middle and the Kidsgrove Fleur-di-Lis pin as well. :wink:

Three of the top 6 this season were "outliers". IIRC, also CV's best placement ever at Finals.

But, they were also the three Open corps I missed this season, which I find internally aggravating as a fan. :wall:

Take it as a heartfelt compliment as well that I really wanted to see all three teams and have found them all well worth watching and inspiring.

The issue with fewer corps competing and attendance has nothing to do with Reading's success. It's like that quack British Doctor claiming years ago that vaccines caused Autism. Period. No connection. None. No real research nor proof. All retracted later for a lack of any real underpinning of well-researched facts.

Sounds more like someone's bitter for several reasons and needs to periodically scream at the clouds because they occasionally rain on them, they like the attention and they also consider it part of their particular style of performance art. A style that was never fully embraced as much as they thought it should have been in terms of scoring, in terms of what they felt should have been thought of as utterly superior, game-changing, and the best solution to the challenge. It's a risk one takes when one goes counter to the Meta. When one does things like this, one should realize it may not be likely to win, it may not change the game as much as they hoped, it may not be the superior solution to the problem nor the only solution in what is an arena of ideas.

Obviously, one organization has figured out how to come up with the best solution for some time. How? They adapted when the rubrics and system have been changed, in some ways ostensibly to be moved specifically against them. They constantly improve the quality of what they present. They developed an organizational infrastructure and culture that enables them to be successful. I sense more a snide and smug "I know what's best for everyone, just ask me" envy emanating than any legit discussion of real solutions- mainly because there's no real connection between the problem at hand and the supposed cause of said problem.

More Macbeth, Act Five, Scene Five at hand.

• Like 3

I have a suggestion.

When the Buccaneers win the 2016 DCA Championship, which they will - and 350 fewer fans and two fewer corps show up to DCA, I hereby propose that we simply cut and paste this thread.

And how will removing another corps from the contest help with either of those issues?

For that matter, why do you conclude that there is any link between repetitive winners and sagging attendance? Attendance did not drop like this when Brigadiers were on top, or for the first 7 or 8 recent Reading wins - only the past couple of years. And what is different about those years? For one thing, a certain evil drum corps from California has been absent...

I have a suggestion for you. Instead of trying to remove a top corps from competition, do something that will bring more corps (one more, at least) and fans to DCA. Bring back the Renegades!

• Like 4

More Macbeth, Act Five, Scene Five at hand.

Not what you were referring to of course, but other lines from that scene:

As I did stand my watch upon the hill,

I look'd toward Birnam, and anon, methought,

The wood began to move.

inspired J.R.R. Tolkien to create the episode later translated to film as this:

Although my favorite film adaptation of the Scottish play's ending is this one:

In honor of this kooky thread title -- which I love -- after seven years, I have changed the official tagline of my Blog.

Every time I log on DCA forums now, I chuckle. It's the coolest most unbelievable thing. Your activity is dying, many fans and corps have walked away, the historical record of Buccaneers winning the DCA Championship is unprecedented in modern competitive "anything", other than maybe hot-dog eating. Which by the way, became competitive again when they threw out the #1 Japanese guy for not signing a contract. Kinda ironic.

But, here we are. All of that is going on in DCA right front of you -- and my blog is causing the downfall of Western civilization.

That's awesome.

Edited by drumlaw80
  • Like 1

In the last 10 years, this had to be one of the best show lineups:

July 30, 2005 Winston-Salem, NC

1. Buccaneers 89.013

2. Bushwackers 84.563

3. SF Renegades 84.475

4. CorpsVets 76.688

5. Hurricanes 73.913

6. Carolina Gold 73.325

7. Heat Wave 61.850

The show was in North Carolina and had corps from the Northeast, Southeast and the West.

IMHO, I think it'd be neat to have a corps go over and compete in DCUK finals. Kidsgrove has been able to come over here, so which corps would you want to see go over the pond? Is it a super stretch? Yes. Jobs and school would both be obstacles, but it'd be neat to see a DCA corps or 2 go over and pay Kidsgrove a visit on THEIR turf.

I do not think a non DCUK corps is allowed to compete under their rules and protocols; exhibition yes...competing, I don't think so.

No Lee some of us chuckle when we see your latest missive.... You try to come across as being the only one who knows how to do something and you do make some good points. But then you slam anyone who doesn't totally agree with you. And for those of us with long memories there were threads that make some of us leery of what you write now. Starting RAMD threads to try to rile up someone you had problems with (and had problems herself) and then complaining that you were only defending yourself when people called you on it. (How is it defending when you start the thread.)

Edit: Removed second point as found a statement from Lee clearing things up....

Wasn't going to reply but tired of the arrogance. If you want to discuss then discuss, this posting your ideas and then sitting back and waiting to flat out INSULT anyone who disagrees does not help. Do you really want a discussion or just looking for attention?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 5