DCA Championships - How to Fix the Competition Problem

While I agree with most things, I'll break the ice on responses.

I'm not fond of the "Grand Champion" idea. I understand it prevents a monopoly of who is on top, but that can almost literally kill a corps at the same time. For those that like to compete, who wants to march with the corps that isn't being scored? Who's going to invest the money and time into being a "competitive exhibition corps"?

Back when the corps were plentiful, you always had your "trophy chasers" that would go from corps to corps each season trying to catch the one that would be on top. Well, if you have a Grand Champion that goes into exhibition status for a season, you're essentially telling your talent to go elsewhere and hope that you can keep a core group around for the following season. Sure, it's fun to see what other corps are like, but it shouldn't happen because your corps is going into an exhibition status.

Also, I'm okay with the idea of the defending champion going on first, but how about an invert system? This year there were 3 different groups of corps. Class A, Open Class 1 and Open Class 2 essentially (if you go by intermission to intermission).

I would keep prelims exactly the way they are now. Line the scores up and the lowest is on first and highest on last... The change I would make is at Finals.

Example:

This year looked like this after prelims:

1 .Buccaneers 97.23
2. Cadets2 95.78
3. Caballeros 95.20
4. Minnesota Brass 94.98
5. Kidsgrove Scouts 92.35
6. Atlanta CV 91.80
7. Fusion Core 90.70
8. White Sabers 88.83
9. Sunrisers 86.35
10. Hurricanes 83.58

So instead of having it run in reverse order from 10-1, why not have 6-10 jumble and 1-5 jumble. So the starting order could've looked like (and this is just an example):

White Sabers, Hurricanes, Atlanta, Fusion Core, Sunrisers then have intermission #1, come back and have the Class A jumble, go to 2nd intermission then come back and have Cabs, Cadets2, Buccaneers, Kidsgrove and MBI.

This then makes the corps have to put on their best because there shouldn't be any advantages and it would also force the judges to have to go off of what's really there. Class A in the middle of the 2 Open Class segments also gives them a crowd to perform to.

To wrap that part up, there'd be no use in trying to "predict" the jumble as it could easily be done by corps directors picking numbers or using a computer randomizer to mix the 5 up.

Edited by ErieSopMike

That seems like a lot of trouble to go through. The best corps would still win.

But the best corps can't win every year. That's not good for attendance....only if the best corps didn't win the previous year can the best corps won every year

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of trouble to go through. The best corps would still win.

And with the current judging system... allowing the judges to revisit their numbers after a block of corps has performed... a "jumble" really would not.. or should not.... mean anything, in terms of "shaking up" the scores.

There was a separate thread here on these forums that discussed that judging system in great detail.

Wow... once again I am agreeing with VO Reason.

Getting soft in my advanced years. :tongue:

But the best corps can't win every year. That's not good for attendance....only if the best corps didn't win the previous year can the best corps won every year

My head hurts.

It's interesting that in the DCA forum we have a call for effect to take more precedence over execution, while in the DCI forum we have a call for "adult generated" effect to take less precedence over "student performed" execution.

And with the current judging system... allowing the judges to revisit their numbers after a block of corps has performed... a "jumble" really would not.. or should not.... mean anything, in terms of "shaking up" the scores.

There was a separate thread here on these forums that discussed that judging system in great detail.

Wow... once again I am agreeing with VO Reason.

Getting soft in my advanced years. :tongue:

exactly. the jumble would do nothing.

let's look at the recap of prelims for a second.

not competitive? you had a corps placing anywhere from 1-5 on the recap. corps outside of the top 4 placing in the top 4 in captions.

now finals.Cv was 3rd in a caption. 2nd in 2 captions! yet they were 5th overall. Other corps in various places.

the judges judged their sheet and the show of the day. CV was on fire that night....and on sheets that covered that, they did well.

It's interesting that in the DCA forum we have a call for effect to take more precedence over execution, while in the DCI forum we have a call for "adult generated" effect to take less precedence over "student performed" execution.

i'm still waiting for someone to truly explain this communication caption

• Like 1