DCA Championships - How to Fix the Competition Problem

Interesting...coming from a person who is out of the DCA scene and just assumes people aren't coming to shows/championships because of the Bucs.

Because it can't possible have anything to do with the fact that championships is in one of the worst areas inside a city that is so far geographically removed from almost every corps home area. I've driven several times to Wildwood and Reading - both a 3 hour drive. Both shows are important to me - start of the season, and last regular season show/homeshow. I however would NEVER go the 6 hours required to stay in a place that offers almost nothing else to do to see drum corps for 2 days.

If it was closer like NY, PA or CT - absolutely would I go for both 2 days.

• Like 1

Championships are in Rochester for a reason. DCA wouldn't have made the arrangements if there wasn't. Does that mean they will be there forever? Probably not. What they need are options, and I am fairly sure that options are being considered. Give Allen and the rest of the DCA staff some time to work through the options. We are committed to Rochester for two more years, I believe. Let's wait and see what's in the cards after that.

Dan

Also, I have a habit of always going to the local DCI and DCA show held about 20 minutes from my house. This year, there were 3 shows held there.

I only went to one of those shows this year.

Why?

Because had I went to each show and got the best seat possible each time - I would have had to shell out $180.

Which show did I go to - the one with the best value. $20 for a seat on the 50 yard line. The other 2 shows that I did not go to - the cost was $80 per seat!

I also wanted to take my wife with me to a show, but since she was busy during the cheap show, add another $80.

Now, if I didn't want to get the best seat - I would have had to pay $35 to sit way out in and not get any sound coming to me.

My entire trip out to Reading - food, gas, tolls, and ticket did not equal $80 and that show is 3 hours away.

So here I am, I'm a guy who basically wants to give my money to drum corps and I decided against it.

• Like 3

Championships are in Rochester for a reason. DCA wouldn't have made the arrangements if there wasn't. Does that mean they will be there forever? Probably not. What they need are options, and I am fairly sure that options are being considered. Give Allen and the rest of the DCA staff some time to work through the options. We are committed to Rochester for two more years, I believe. Let's wait and see what's in the cards after that.

Dan

Beginning to think the answer to "Why Rochester?" is "They will put up with it".

BITD it was one day and Sunday at that with was kinda dead at one location day before Labor Day. Now 2 full days and how ever long I&E ties up Friday with set up, traffic control etc at a additional location. Lets face it DCA hogs up the entire weekend so maybe expanding DCA is hurting it.

My corps won communication most of the year, and not even we had any idea what it rewards or how it's numbers are allocated.

did t all the corps caption heads sit in a room in Baltimore for a day and emerge with it?....I would guess they should know since they are the ones that came up with it

Stunned that communication caption still exists. A set of criteria woven into ge language and giving two judges 60% of the outcome. Yet to see a result where the ge caption winner did not also take communication caption. 3 years of over weighted scores and A sheet that is removed far enough from every other band or corps sheet as to be irrelevant. Sad.

i'm still waiting for someone to truly explain this communication caption

Me, too.

• Like 1

I am surprised that a corps especially out of the NY/NJ/PA/CT area doesn't do a 2 year plan. Make the most technically difficult show possible and just go to one or two shows the first year of the show, get your butt handed to you in scores, and get good critiques, but don't do it in front of the crowd that will be at DCA the next season. Then that off season start camps in September perfecting the same show and in June everyone will be chasing you all season even if you lose half your practice time that season on bus rides to DCA territory, which would be paid for by the money you saved not going to Rochester the previous year. With 2 years to work on it you should have a technically brilliant very difficult show mastered.