How Bout Some Different Music for 2016?

Hi All,

While surfing around on this cloudy weather day I stumbled on to this one.

How bout we ditch some of the classical, symphonic and wind ensemble stuff (We can use a depature a bit...can't we?) and rip in to some really different styles and pacing of music with a style this... :cool:

Beginning to 1:05 and then check out 2:06 onwards....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qV2EgzkgD0

By the way, Arturo S. is my all-time favorite trumpet player.... :cool:

• Like 1

To be successful in DCI it needs power chords by the brass accompanied by chromatic runs in the pit.

For the love of God...don't forget the double and triple-tonguing, cross-handed playing, and a line of notes so solidly black that they actually form a dark streak, wafting across the field like a flock of diarrhetic doves of peace wafting across Lebanon with olive branches in their beaks. Oh...and the semi-squats resembling a baby with poopy drawers (is that the move that many refer to as "bug smashing"????). Oh...that isn't "musical." Which, by the way, is my point exactly.

But...while I'm on here...yeah....something similar to Brady (not Tom...Jim...the one with the expansive sound, not deflated) and the Bridgemen screaming "Spanish Dreams" definitely wouldn't be met with disapproval...in this mind, at least. Ok...call me simple and perverse. But I know what turns me on...and what doesn't quite "do it" for me.

Edit: Sorry...forgot...you said "new" music. My mistake. Never mind (tum-de-dum-de-dum.....)....

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

I'm waiting for the day someone decides to to this as their ballad, but maybe it's a little too "bando"...not that there's anything wrong with that (Seinfeld reference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3R_sO91-iU

• Like 1

If it weren't so, um, repetitive.

Maybe drum corps arrangers can change it up.

I think the arrangers could pick out the right parts and make it drum corps friendly. Again, maybe not this exact piece of music but something in this genre or style with a different feel. Also, some would say that drum corps music is not repetive enough....which makes something memorable.... :)

I'd like to hear a WC corps tackle the Moody Blues...for those that don't know, many of their tunes are quite lush in their arrangement. I don't think anyone but Crown could pull off "Nights in White Satin" complete with the "Breathe deep, the gathering gloom" spoken-word sonnet, massive crescendo and mega-gong crash at the end. For the younger DCP readers, the tune came out about two years after Quisp Cereal was introduced.

The sound you're now hearing is a thousand fingers Googling "Moody Blues" and "Quisp". :silly:

The Scorpions