Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

Dont hate the player hate the game..thats why its called a competition.

I love the Coats, its not just the 'electronics'.. listen here...How about their show design, music, the 'electronics; just enhances what is already a brilliant combination.

Nothing about it was lame.

It left you wanting more and got you out of your seat at the end didnt it?

Youre lying if you said it didnt:)

Love you Coats!

Bring on 2016

• Like 3

To the OP: no.

Not a fundamental shift in the activity.

Cool? Yes.

But I'm inclined to use the "g" word for a lot of it.

We'll see where it goes.

where it goes? They came in 2nd in DCI..hahhahahha!~

A better argument for 2014 as the gamechanger could be made. Far better show...

nah. In my view the 2014 show was a good show with one (well, two) great moments. The 2015 show is a masterpiece of design from start to finish. Not relying on a single bit WOW. JMO of course.

• Like 1

To the OP: no.

Not a fundamental shift in the activity.

Cool? Yes.

But I'm inclined to use the "g" word for a lot of it.

We'll see where it goes.

Agreed "we'll see" - but changing the entire way the drum corps idiom is orchestrated isn't really a "gimmick" - a gimmick (for example) is a great big fabric banner. JMO

• Like 1

Yes. It's a gimmick. Kudos to them for figuring out how to record and place speakers, I guess that's Earth-shattering.

It was an approach across the board to the musical design and arrangement of the voices and sections. Not a "gimmick"

A "gimmick" would be 2015's SCV sashes lighting up, or 2014 Cadets cumbers changing color for each tune. JMO

• Like 1

How so?

Pre-recorded music played through speakers, timed out to fit a performance, it's a gimmick.

well- that's not what they did. They approached the entire design of sound in more of a "sound field" way (like a 7.1 channel surround system) - whereas prior design was mainly in 2D (stereo)

Agreed "we'll see" - but changing the entire way the drum corps idiom is orchestrated isn't really a "gimmick" - a gimmick (for example) is a great big fabric banner. JMO

But they haven't done that.

They've done that for their last 2 shows, but the activity as a whole hasn't done that.

Whereas Star 93 incorporated innovations that started being used in 1994 and are still being used today.

That's the difference and it's too early to know if the Bluecoats have had that influence, my thought will be no though.

so - to define the word being used here: (sounds to me like it refers more to uniforms that change color, sashes that light up, big banners of fabric - there's nothing wrong with those but Coats was more of a complete "approach" than a "trick")

gim·mick
ˈɡimik/
noun
  1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
  • Like 2