Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

Let's not forget that Jon Vanderkoff was the mastermind behind both shows.

Funny, in conversations with members of the music design team, that would be a false statement.

So are you basing this on conversations or assumptions?

Granted, the visual for both years has been very enjoyable, but I hear more people discussing them musically than visually.

nah. In my view the 2014 show was a good show with one (well, two) great moments. The 2015 show is a masterpiece of design from start to finish. Not relying on a single bit WOW. JMO of course.

I disagree with "one, two great moments" for 2014. There were many more than that. Starting with the tilting of the field, the opening drill/music statement, the choreographic movement, tilted company front, Hymn, spectacular use of props, percussion feature... and, of course the greatest ending in the history of drum corps. The music of 2014 was far better than 2015 and much easier to the ear. No knock on 2015, but Bloo '14 year was better. No, the 2015 Bluecoats is not the 1993 Star.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

I agree completely. This show was ground breaking and not given it's due. You can tell by a few of the comments here on how little is actually understood of what they pulled off from a mic, delay, and sound augmentation standpoint. They broke new ground on how they had to set this up in terms of cabling, repeaters, etc. From talking to a few members, the listening requirements on the field were pretty ridiculous at times.

This video helped open my eyes to the complexity of what they were pulling off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxYtu9j3gZA

I can't wait to see what they do in 2016. I hope they push this more.

Edited by mj3004
  • Like 1

so - to define the word being used here: (sounds to me like it refers more to uniforms that change color, sashes that light up, big banners of fabric - there's nothing wrong with those but Coats was more of a complete "approach" than a "trick")

gim·mick
ˈɡimik/
noun
  1. a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Lets get down to brass tacks here-Bluecoats found a way to fight their way to the top 3 whether it was 'electronics incorporated into the show, change of use of the spheres and ending changes, you have to know what works and what get the judges and audience on their feet. The music was brilliant! Bon Iver, genius!, Their look, their execution, their use of the field all worked. If you stay scrappy and pay attention all things pay off.

You could have the electronics and have a terrible show, Agreed?

Bluecoats pulled this one out-BIGTIME!

• Like 1

Funny, in conversations with members of the music design team, that would be a false statement.

So are you basing this on conversations or assumptions?

Granted, the visual for both years has been very enjoyable, but I hear more people discussing them musically than visually.

Didn't know you were so well connected at the Bluecoats! Let's just say I know things.