Star 1993 Has Been REPLACED

What do you folks think was the last big musical evolution of design? Star 1993 or Cavaliers 1999/2000ish, or BD recently are easy to maybe pinpoint as influential and evolutionary fundamental design trend shifts, but what do we think was the last huge music design revolution?

Bluecoats 2014 was FAR more evolutionary and revolutionary in music design ( imo ) than 93 Star, Cavs 99/ 2000 were. Bluecoats 2014 took marcher created brass playing into a new realm that coupled MM created musical playing with adult created musical effects that had substantial bearing on the performance scores. While '93 Star staff had off the field impacts on their MM's performance/ execution levels on the field, the '93 Staff's actual creative effects did not actually go out onto the field of competition with them those Star years. Bluecoats adult created musical effects however DID actually & literally go out onto the field of competition with them in 2014 ( and 2015 ) and it created a most positive placement movement for the corps as well. As a result, ( imo ) Bluecoats 2014 & 15 is far more revolutionary in its Drum Corps activity impact than anything '93 Star ( or '99/ 00 Cavies) did with the Music put out onto the field of DCI competition.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I disagree. The show that will be most fondly remembered this year will be Crown. Listen to the audience reaction at the end of Tilt vs the end of Kinetic Noise, a huge drop in hype. Crown got the biggest ovation this year by a large margin (like Bloo did last year), and that is telling as to which show will go down as memorable and special.

I disagree. The show that will be most fondly remembered this year will be Crown. Listen to the audience reaction at the end of Tilt vs the end of Kinetic Noise, a huge drop in hype. Crown got the biggest ovation this year by a large margin (like Bloo did last year), and that is telling as to which show will go down as memorable and special.

and I disagree with the statement that Crown will be remembered. The roar you heard was the whining about how Crown came in 2nd:)...Go Bloo!!!

• Like 1

They were both awesome shows, and will most likely both be remembered for a long time, as is often the case for medal winners.

93 has always been vastly under rated. Cadets and Star, Phantom charging into 3rd after 92's disaster, BD and Madison jazzing up and Cavies regrouping after losing Brubaker. Don't forget SCV started out SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWW, then you had Crossmen w/Songs for planet earth 2....Coats and BK, and man what a fun show BK had...then Glassmen and Colts breaking in for the first time!

I've always really dug BK 1993. I was at a percussion clinic Ralph Hardimon put on that summer, and he was talking about the drum solo (Steve Vai's "Little Green Men,") and as he described the meter changes, drum licks, etc. he kept saying, "It's a space thing, man: a space thing."

Such a wildly entertaining show.

And I agree that 1993 has aged well, so-to-speak.

Also, how about Colts: in 1992 they were 20th, and in 1993 made Finals! Fairly unprecedented turnaround for the modern era

Edited by perc2100

Considering I absolutely despised just about everything about the Bluecoats *this* year (2013 and prior they were one of my favorites), you might be right.

In which case, I mourn

Considering I absolutely despised just about everything about the Bluecoats *this* year (2013 and prior they were one of my favorites), you might be right.

In which case, I mourn

I have never despised any show, even if they don't click with me. That's too bad that you feel that way.

Edited by ajlemm

I have never despised any show, even if they don't click with me. That's too bad that you feel that way.

I've never hated a show as much as I hated Kinetic Noise.

Well performed? No doubt about it, there's a reason the Bluecoats are and have been in the top 5 of all Drum Corps for a decent while now, but man, just couldn't do it this year haha.

I wasn't a fan of TILT, but this year the show literally annoyed me somehow. I don't know.

• Like 1

Well performed? No doubt about it, there's a reason the Bluecoats are and have been in the top 5 of all Drum Corps for a decent while now, but man, just couldn't do it this year haha.

I wasn't a fan of TILT, but this year the show literally annoyed me somehow. I don't know.

Wow. Such a great show - too bad you didn't enjoy it.

Wow, you're hard to please!

Question: did you see it live, or is your disdain based entirely off of viewing it in a movie theater or online or something?

Just curious. I've been told their show is a lot harder to "read" or appreciate when viewing via online or on video or something and MUCH cooler live. For me personally, I never saw the show live, and it's more of a production that I 'appreciate' seeing it via computer than I "like."