Darwinian Extinction/ Evolutionary Suicide

This has probably been discussed before in many forms. Having been viewing my legacy DVD's and noticing the changes or evolution of the activity, I began to wonder which can be a dangerous thing.Corps have evolved quite quickly over a relatively short period of time (DCI era). Some changes have been accepted and others have been tried and failed or have been hated by many.

Instrumentation has improved and is more varied and corps are no longer 'Drum and Bugle Corps' in the truest sense. Techniques have improved. Military approaches have been shed in favour of a more artistic approach or interpretation opening up the activity to many that may have otherwise ignored it. Drill has become choreographed. Judging has also changed. The number of corps has diminished significantly and we are left with a comparative few 'giants' who dominate the activity and naturally select the 'creme de la creme' possibly denying the opportunity for the less talented. Some would argue that the diversity and difference which for them made the activity interesting has been lost and shows have become almost generic.

This made me consider the future of the activity and I began to wonder whether the evolution could continue at this pace and whether with the alignment to BOA whether DCI was in danger of extinction. Any thoughts?

:ninja:

Yes, I forget DCP's propensity for spontaneous combustion! :tounge2: I am not critiscising the activity,I am just exploring the possibility of this happening to the activity.

To discuss your question, I'll go point by point:

1) "Instrumentation has improved and is more varied and corps are no longer 'Drum and Bugle Corps' in the truest sense.

As for the instrumentation being improved, I would think that if anything, this would lead to MORE kids desiring to march. It's a heck of lot more enjoyable to perform on a quality instrument than it is to have to fight with an old, out-of-tune, piece of crap. As for what we call the activity, I don't think this has any effect upon potential membership. Kids will simply desire to march...or NOT desire to march. And if nothing else, the name "Drum and Bugle Corps ("in the truest sense")" might possibly be more psychologically limiting to a potential marching member. My feeling would be that this statement is not of basis.

2) "Techniques have improved."

Here again, I would see this as a POSITIVE to a potential marching member. The better the technique, the better (or more successful) each Corps has the potential for being. And the greater the potential for the corps, the greater amount of enjoyment and satisfaction would normally be felt by the members within it. Again, I see no negative effect that this would lend to the current status of the activity.

3) "Military approaches have been shed in favour of a more artistic approach or interpretation opening up the activity to many that may have otherwise ignored it."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, this statement seems to go against your very thesis. How would an approach that "opens up" an activity to many more members lead to a decrease in numbers in that very activity???

4) "Drill has become choreographed."

Incorrect. Drill has not suddenly become choreographed. The activity has always been choreographed. I don't recall many shows, even going back to the earliest of days, where movement was done on a willy-nilly, "as the spirit moves you" basis. Forms have always been forms. Step sizes have always been step sizes. Lines have always been lines, and curves have always been curves. And all of these have always been taught and instructed according to a plan, or "design." Now, if what you mean by this is "Drill now includes a far wider variety of movement and expression," then I don't see how it would suddenly be a limiting factor in regards to membership. Yes, there is more dance than ever before. But this isn't drill...it's a matter of expression.

5) "Judging has changed."

Judging hasn't changed, for the most part. The dictates under which judges operate may have changed. The sheets have changed. The "tick versus build-up" approach has changed. But the judging, by and large (in my opinion, admittedly) hasn't changed. Judges judge. They watch...they listen...they mentally assess...and they provide feedback and, ultimately, numbers. I don't see how this statement applies.

6) "The number of corps has diminished significantly and we are left with a comparative few 'giants' who dominate the activity...."

Ahhhh....your first statement which has some degree of merit. BUT...it is a self-fulfilling statement. It is much the same as saying "The daily temperatures have decreased because it has slowly gotten colder."

7) "...and naturally select the 'creme de la creme' possibly denying the opportunity for the less talented."

First, of course ANY competitive unit is naturally going to select the very best performers from its' auditions. But just because a student is not accepted by the Blue Devils, Cadets, Bluecoats et al. does not mean that the activity is suddenly closed to that student. There ARE other corps...many other corps...who might still accept them. If anything, I sometimes wonder if the real problem here is that some potential members go into the audition process with a "pie in the sky" attitude, overlooking or not accepting his or her own current deficiencies, hoping to join and be a member of one of the best rather than taking a more realistic attitude of "I'm just not at that point yet. I think I'll start elsewhere." I've always felt that there is some degree of truth to a statement of "The greatest limitation and hindrance to human civilization is human civilization." Often times we, more than anyone around us, limit ourselves -- simply by not accepting our current abilities, and proceeding on a realistic course from there.

8) "Some would argue that the diversity and difference which for them made the activity interesting has been lost and shows have become almost generic."

And I might argue that if a potential marching member does their research across the activity, they would find that there still exists a high degree of diversity within the activity. Bluecoats are becoming known for their electronics...Phantom has always taken a "Classical Music" approach (by and large, of course)...Cadets are known for the speed of drill being a major component...on and on and on. Even if you go back to the earliest days, you would find corps and shows which could be clumped into categories. Blue Devils and Scouts (and later, Suncoast Sound) lived and died for years with a jazz or "pop"-centered approach. Vanguard, Phantom, 27th, and Cavaliers tended to take a more traditional approach. Many of the Jersey-centered corps were heavy into the latin. I know I'm speaking in generalities here...but I think the rationale holds at least some degree of truth.

Now, to answer the intended question of your post: I see the greatest effect on the evolution of the activity coming down to one simple word -- economics. Shoddy equipment doesn't work anymore. Shoddy travel equipment (buses, vans, etc.) doesn't work anymore. Shoddy nutrition and menu planning doesn't work anymore. As Fred Morris said in the film "America's Corps" (and I'm paraphrasing here): "It's a business now. A big business. It's not like the old days when everything was done around the kitchen table." A group which wishes to consider itself as being "World Class" (and I would submit that the same would hold true for the "Open Class" corps, which in reality are nothing less than "smaller World Class" entities) must now be "World Class" in every respect. PB&J's don't, and realistically can't, make up the entire summer menu. Corps aren't needing to hitch rides from other corps with regularity due to bus breakdowns. And all of this takes money. Yes, it may very well be a variation of Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest." But then again...isn't life???

And by the way, Freaky...none of this being said was done so as an attack upon you. Your over-riding question of "Where are we going?" is well-founded and apt. All of this was simply my simple response to your question.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 4

To discuss your question, I'll go point by point:

1) "Instrumentation has improved and is more varied and corps are no longer 'Drum and Bugle Corps' in the truest sense.

As for the instrumentation being improved, I would think that if anything, this would lead to MORE kids desiring to march. It's a heck of lot more enjoyable to perform on a quality instrument than it is to have to fight with an old, out-of-tune, piece of crap. As for what we call the activity, I don't think this has any effect upon potential membership. Kids will simply desire to march...or NOT desire to march. And if nothing else, the name "Drum and Bugle Corps ("in the truest sense")" might possibly be more psychologically limiting to a potential marching member. My feeling would be that this statement is not of basis.

2) "Techniques have improved."

Here again, I would see this as a POSITIVE to a potential marching member. The better the technique, the better (or more successful) each Corps has the potential for being. And the greater the potential for the corps, the greater amount of enjoyment and satisfaction would normally be felt by the members within it. Again, I see no negative effect that this would lend to the current status of the activity.

3) "Military approaches have been shed in favour of a more artistic approach or interpretation opening up the activity to many that may have otherwise ignored it."

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, this statement seems to go against your very thesis. How would an approach that "opens up" an activity to many more members lead to a decrease in numbers in that very activity???

4) "Drill has become choreographed."

Incorrect. Drill has not suddenly become choreographed. The activity has always been choreographed. I don't recall many shows, even going back to the earliest of days, where movement was done on a willy-nilly, "as the spirit moves you" basis. Forms have always been forms. Step sizes have always been step sizes. Lines have always been lines, and curves have always been curves. And all of these have always been taught and instructed according to a plan, or "design." Now, if what you mean by this is "Drill now includes a far wider variety of movement and expression," then I don't see how it would suddenly be a limiting factor in regards to membership. Yes, there is more dance than ever before. But this isn't drill...it's a matter of expression.

5) "Judging has changed."

Judging hasn't changed, for the most part. The dictates under which judges operate may have changed. The sheets have changed. The "tick versus build-up" approach has changed. But the judging, by and large (in my opinion, admittedly) hasn't changed. Judges judge. They watch...they listen...they mentally assess...and they provide feedback and, ultimately, numbers. I don't see how this statement applies.

6) "The number of corps has diminished significantly and we are left with a comparative few 'giants' who dominate the activity...."

Ahhhh....your first statement which has some degree of merit. BUT...it is a self-fulfilling statement. It is much the same as saying "The daily temperatures have decreased because it has slowly gotten colder."

7) "...and naturally select the 'creme de la creme' possibly denying the opportunity for the less talented."

First, of course ANY competitive unit is naturally going to select the very best performers from its' auditions. But just because a student is not accepted by the Blue Devils, Cadets, Bluecoats et al. does not mean that the activity is suddenly closed to that student. There ARE other corps...many other corps...who might still accept them. If anything, I sometimes wonder if the real problem here is that some potential members go into the audition process with a "pie in the sky" attitude, overlooking or not accepting his or her own current deficiencies, hoping to join and be a member of one of the best rather than taking a more realistic attitude of "I'm just not at that point yet. I think I'll start elsewhere." I've always felt that there is some degree of truth to a statement of "The greatest limitation and hindrance to human civilization is human civilization." Often times we, more than anyone around us, limit ourselves -- simply by not accepting our current abilities, and proceeding on a realistic course from there.

8) "Some would argue that the diversity and difference which for them made the activity interesting has been lost and shows have become almost generic."

And I might argue that if a potential marching member does their research across the activity, they would find that there still exists a high degree of diversity within the activity. Bluecoats are becoming known for their electronics...Phantom has always taken a "Classical Music" approach (by and large, of course)...Cadets are known for the speed of drill being a major component...on and on and on. Even if you go back to the earliest days, you would find corps and shows which could be clumped into categories. Blue Devils and Scouts (and later, Suncoast Sound) lived and died for years with a jazz or "pop"-centered approach. Vanguard, Phantom, 27th, and Cavaliers tended to take a more traditional approach. Many of the Jersey-centered corps were heavy into the latin. I know I'm speaking in generalities here...but I think the rationale holds at least some degree of truth.

Now, to answer the intended question of your post: I see the greatest effect on the evolution of the activity coming down to one simple word -- economics. Shoddy equipment doesn't work anymore. Shoddy travel equipment (buses, vans, etc.) doesn't work anymore. Shoddy nutrition and menu planning doesn't work anymore. As Fred Morris said in the film "America's Corps" (and I'm paraphrasing here): "It's a business now. A big business. It's not like the old days when everything was done around the kitchen table." A group which wishes to consider itself as being "World Class" (and I would submit that the same would hold true for the "Open Class" corps, which in reality are nothing less than "smaller World Class" entities) must now be "World Class" in every respect. PB&J's don't, and realistically can't, make up the entire summer menu. Corps aren't needing to hitch rides from other corps with regularity due to bus breakdowns. And all of this takes money. Yes, it may very well be a variation of Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest." But then again...isn't life???

And by the way, Freaky...none of this being said was done so as an attack upon you. Your over-riding question of "Where are we going?" is well-founded and apt. All of this was simply my simple response to your question.

Thanks HornTeacher. The mention of business links in with accessibility, product and marketing. I wonder if as I no doubt it already has, it will contribute to where the activity goes in the future.

The question about survival of the fittest may be true in life, but could either lessen the potential gene pool and reduce the variety which after all is 'the spice of life'.

This has probably been discussed before in many forms. Having been viewing my legacy DVD's and noticing the changes or evolution of the activity, I began to wonder which can be a dangerous thing.Corps have evolved quite quickly over a relatively short period of time (DCI era). Some changes have been accepted and others have been tried and failed or have been hated by many.

Instrumentation has improved and is more varied and corps are no longer 'Drum and Bugle Corps' in the truest sense. Techniques have improved. Military approaches have been shed in favour of a more artistic approach or interpretation opening up the activity to many that may have otherwise ignored it. Drill has become choreographed. Judging has also changed. The number of corps has diminished significantly and we are left with a comparative few 'giants' who dominate the activity and naturally select the 'creme de la creme' possibly denying the opportunity for the less talented. Some would argue that the diversity and difference which for them made the activity interesting has been lost and shows have become almost generic.

This made me consider the future of the activity and I began to wonder whether the evolution could continue at this pace and whether with the alignment to BOA whether DCI was in danger of extinction. Any thoughts?

In other words, Blue Devils have killed the activity and Crown should have won last year, right?

:tounge2:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

In other words, Blue Devils have killed the activity and Crown should have won last year, right?

Yes, and Crown is also the new Star, and all-male corps don't have a chance of competing any more on the same level as coed corps.

Oh, and Bob Barker died again during the 2015 season.

• Like 4

Is that what all of this boils down to? I guess I have some things (and people) to learn about... :doh:

Edited by HornTeacher

My only concern with the future of DCI is the cost. Imagine how much more talent the Cadets would receive if it wasn't $4,000 to march. I understand running a drum corps is in no way cheap, but if the price continues to rise, the activity may become even more restricted. The Cadets will probably always have a viable pool of talent, even if the cost is $7,000. It's the smaller, less dominant corps I worry about.

• Like 1