What is the status of your old corps sponsor?

Tried to start this on a FB Forum and no one responded. Wasn't thinking of starting here but the direction of another thread kicked e a bit to start one here.

My background is I belonged to a city church that has been going downhill for years. Was on that churchs council for a few years (as VP for a bit yet :wow:) and went to seminars on why city churches are in decline and hat could be done. More I listened the more I realized a lot could be applied to the decline of corps over the decades. A full explaination would take a lot of key strokes so won't go into detail now.

My Sr corps was self supporting so I didn't run into this but for the folks who belonged to a corps that was sponsored by an AL, VFW, Church or other, what is the current status of that sponsor. IOW better or worse sine they sponsored....

Dang John I cant give you a like.....

It might be worth talking about the sponsors who helped save corps over the years. I'm especially thinking of Beef-A-Roo, the Illinois burger restaurant chain that helped Phantom Regiment when they came back from the dead in the fall of 1967 (several years after folding the corps). Beef-A-Roo was new themselves in 1967, so for them to come up with financial support for an organization that was gone for several years showed real guts.

As I understand it, Beef-A-Roo stayed on as a Phantom sponsor for decades.

seriously, a quick run through in my mind of all the corps sponsors in SWPA over the many years, most are gone themselves - VFWs, Eagles, PALs, church parishes. and the few fire departments who sponsored corps back in the day are doing all they can to keep themselves in operation with the decline in volunteerism, funding cuts and increase in FF requirements.

small wonder our activity is where it is.

Found a Conn ad on eBay years back from a 1929 American Legion magazine. Pic of the Post band for AL Post #27 of Harrisburg, PA (not to be confused with Post #272 which is still around). Showed to my folks and asked where #27 was located. Sure as Hades they got into an argument if it was uptown or downtown. Then there was VFW Post Earl Aurand whose Privateers won a late 50s Sr Class at VFW Nats and Post closed in the 60s. Finally fund where that was when visiting the Fire Museum in Harrisburg. There was a plaque in the odds and end part of the museum about a fatal fire 100 years before. Card below that had that the plaque was found in the remains of Aurand Post at (address). Sis googled the address and not a section of town you want to be in today... day or night.

Philadelphia PAL is still around but they pulled funding from the corps in the mid-80's - 1985 I think. I remember going to a few rehearsals in the Spring of '85 after I made the Crossmen and playing some of our exercises and opener for them, but I think they folded before the season started.