Brief moments...not shows...that stick out in your mind.

Far and away... and its not even close in my mind....... Chien Kuo.

It was a seminal moment in the activity, far beyond anything ever produced before on a competition field in the last 50 years, imo. 8/ 6/ 2015. Remember the date for you history buffs here.

It was a first. And probably not even noted by most followers of the activity at the time either. Chien Kuo utilized Brass & Woodwinds ( ie Clarinets, Flutes, Saxophones, Trombones, etc ) to effectively best 6 other DCI units in the DCI Quarterfinals. The day we were told would never happen in DCI Field Competition, ( clarinets, flutes, various woodwinds, etc in DCI Field Competition ) not only happened, it happened, then passed with neither a wimper from anyone. It was a truly an amazing seminal moment in DCI Field competition, imo. I felt a bit bad for the 6 units that lost to this Band that did not avail themselves of the full spectrum of marching band instrumentation that was available to themselves this season. Had they utilized the broader Band instrumentation that Chien Kuo utilized at DCI Quarterfinals this year, then perhaps they might have topped this unit in the all important DCI Quarterfinals. But... we'll never really know for certain now, of course.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Far and away... and its not even close in my mind....... Chien Kuo.

It was a seminal moment in the activity, far beyond anything ever produced before on a competition field in the last 50 years, imo. 8/ 6/ 2015. Remember the date for you history buffs here.

It was a first. And probably not even noted by most followers of the activity at the time either. Chien Kuo utilized Brass & Woodwinds ( ie Clarinets, Flutes, Saxophones, Trombones, etc ) to effectively best 6 other DCI units in the DCI Quarterfinals. The day we were told would never happen in DCI Field Competition, ( clarinets, flutes, various woodwinds, etc in DCI Field Competition ) not only happened, it happened, then passed with neither a wimper from anyone. It was a truly an amazing seminal moment in DCI Field competition, imo. I felt a bit bad for the 6 units that lost to this Band that did not avail themselves of the full spectrum of marching band instrumentation that was available to themselves this season. Had they utilized the broader Band instrumentation that Chien Kuo utilized at DCI Quarterfinals this year, then perhaps they might have topped this unit in the all important DCI Quarterfinals. But... we'll never really know for certain now, of course.

I may be mistaken, but I believe they were only competing in International Class, even though all the scores were presented in placement order. Jubal comes over every several years and competes, but they march members that are sometimes in their 40s, like DCA. If one of the corps, or bands in this case, happens to beat a World Class or Open Class corps, they don't take a placement away from another corps. If Jubal would place 25th or higher, then 26 corps would advance to semifinals, as their corps does not compete using all the sames rules as DCI corps. Now if Jubal, or Chien Kuo competed and were following all the criteria in DCI, then I believe they would/could take a placement from another Open Class or World Class corps.

It is always great to see corps/groups from other countries coming to DCI finals. I love seeing how different/similar their shows are. I was impressed by all the international corps this year, and over the last decade. It is a shame we don't get more International corps to help fill out that I in DCI.

I may be mistaken, but I believe they were only competing in International Class, even though all the scores were presented in placement order. Jubal comes over every several years and competes, but they march members that are sometimes in their 40s, like DCA. If one of the corps, or bands in this case, happens to beat a World Class or Open Class corps, they don't take a placement away from another corps.

Unless I'm mistaken, no Marching Band ( even one self identified as a " Marching Band " ) has competed in ANY division in DCI Field Competition with flutes, clarinets, saxophones. This was a first. They competed with all the other units, and were scored off the same judging sheets, judging criteria, same judges, etc. They were judged compared to all other DCI units, and the other units with them. The fact they were announced as " International Class " is a sidebar only to this historic DCI Field Competition event for its first time allowance of multiple flutes & clarinets ( woodwinds ) into DCI Field Competition. The fact this historic event took place at Championships ( Quarterfinals ) is fitting. Its far better to have this historic event happen at Championships, than a local show. Years from now, fans will be asked in trivia questions who was the first DCI unit to be judged in DCI Field Competition with the utilization of woodwinds in instrumentation and when did it occur. The answer will be Chien Kuo..... 8/ 6/ 2015 ( DCI Quarterfinals ). It was not a North American unit to do so, but thats beside the point as well. This DCI Field competing unit has ushered in a new chapter in DCI. One that can never be taken away from them either, no matter where they placed last month, nor where they might place in the future either, should they return to compete.

Edited by BRASSO

I'll start from 2000 onwards,

Cadets 2000: Trumpet player playing on each other's horn.

Cavaliers 2001: the closer and ,"pig out"

Cavaliers 2002: Fight club scene.

Cadets 2002: Boogie woogie bugle boy.

Cavaliers 2003: their post ballad esque section.

Cadets 2005: drum feature via voice

Cadets 2006: white rabbit drum feature, the original prop jump that tilt used 8 yrs later

Crown 07: Intro

BD 2008:Sweeney Todd

Cadets 2008:Closer

Crown 2008: Opener

Cavaliers 2008: That Drum Break

BD 2009: Opener

Bloo 2010: The Closer is my favorite Bloo closer still(baritone solo mmm)

Cavaliers 2010: This is my rifle segment

Cadets 2011:Angel and demon drum battle

Cavaliera 2011: Upside down drum major and quints.

Madison Scouts 2011: Tuba solo and brass impact are ear shatteringly amazing

BD 2012: Jazz sections, I'm not sure of the name

Crown 2012: Opening statement

Cadets 2012:Company front towards end of show

Cadets 2013:Trumpet feature that splits into multiple parts with intense articulation

Cadets 2015: Final 30 seconds always make my heart race

BD 2015: Push to the end after 10year old appearance.

If I missed it, I apologize, but for me one that I haven't seen mentioned is SCV '88! OK, so the Phantom disappears on the last note (kinda expected that since I was familiar with the show), but then the WHOLE CORPS disappears...and then the Phantom RE-APPEARS ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE FIELD!!! Look, I know they are simple "smoke and mirrors" tricks, but I can only imagine what that was like to experience it live for the first time.

1981 Seeing Gail Royer conduct Send In The Clowns after SCV completed their victory encore in Montreal.

• Like 1

1992 cavaliers - drumbreak and the last moments of the show

1995 blue devils - that closer

2000 cavaliers the closer impact and the spinning diamonds

2000 cadets - tenors.

2001 cavaliers - love the opener melody

2002 cavaliers - closer

2003 cavaliers - trumpet solo in the closer

2003 blue devils - those cymbals.

2003 cadets - drumbreak.

2004 cavaliers - every single very "007" moment

2005-2006 cavaliers - i like it all

2008 cavaliers - drumbreak and closer

2008 phantom regiment - "LIVE OR DIE?"

2008 carolina crown - crown set -end

2010 cavaliers - pre-opener and this is my rifle movement

2010 bluecoats - opener

2011 cavaliers - upsidedown parts and closer

2011 carolina crown - all of it except the paint it black section.. i like it buuut i kinda dont

2013 cavaliers - every moment in the hoods

2013 carolina crown - all of it up until the ballad

2013 blue devils - snare opening into the drumbreak

2013 santa clara vanguard - drumbreak

2013 bluecoats - the tenors destroyed that break. amazing.

2014 boston crusaders - one of the all time favs

2014 carolina crown - high brass feature

2014 blue devils - trumpet feature

2014 bluecoats - no explanation needed

2014 cavaliers - marimbas on the field

2014 santa clara vanguard - opening impact and drumbreak

2015 ( haven't seen a bit of shows or i dont really have any opinion standing out atm, shame on me)

2015 cavaliers - run boy run section, i like it, but i wanted more

2015 carolina crown every single hit and impact

EDIT: a little bit too long of a list im now noticing :bigsmile:

Edited by Onekindle

Barb Maroney-1984 Cadets...............the note. Nuff said

You took one of mine. Serves me right for being such a chicken not to post my own. But thanks...just opens up another slot for me. :colgate:

Not sure where you draw the line on old school and current. But I see a lot of people saying before 2000 and after post 2000. So pre 2000

You're entirely correct. With all the "old school" / "new school" philosophies constantly being a somewhat common occurrence on DCP, I completely forgot to set the parameters...IF, that is, any of a totally concrete nature actually exist. I suppose I was leaving it up to the individual poster -- for without the concrete parameter, then any dividing point cannot be argued against. But as I said, you are correct. Thank you for clarifying. :colgate: (Which, by the way, begs the question: can the heretofore unquantifiable be quantified?)

Edit: I just realized that the question of "At what point would the change from "old school" to "new school" have happened in Drum Corps?" might make for a heck of an off-season discussion. But I'll leave that up to someone else to generate. Then again, maybe it simply doesn't matter.....

Edited by HornTeacher

That low brass rumble and chord progression leading up to "Bottle Dance." A canonical drum corps moment that still gives me shivers 37 years after first witnessing it live (from the backfield, in the rain).