Brief moments...not shows...that stick out in your mind.

Cadets 2007 opening hit and company front. Gives me chills every. Single. Time.

Phantom 2012 hit into the company front for Nessun Dorma

Phantom 2003 hit into the closer. Not sure how anyone can not get goosebumps from that. Really amazing arranging.

Blue Devils' 2015 closer's final statement after the "I wish." That hornline can play.

• Like 1

1987 Garfield - dissolving company front

1984 SCV - the hit during Tender Land/Promise of Living with the mellophones coming in and jumping up a perfect 4th. Goosebumps still.

2014 Crown - the opening trumpet runs in Vitae Aeternum

1984 BD - the trio to start to La Fiesta

2014 BD - opening trumpet feature and then the low brass entrance.

Edited by frachel

1999 SCV: Ballad

2000 Cadets: Brass playing each others instruments

2001 SCV: Beginning of the closer

2002 Cavaliers: "Fight Club" segment

2003 Phantom: Canon refrain to the end

2004 Blue Devils: "Train leaving the station" sounds with accel in the closer

2005 Cadets: Drumspeak feature

2008 Phantom: Every note the snareline played

2011 Cavaliers: Upside down tenors

2014 Bluecoats: Jump at the end

2015 Bluecoats: Snareline using the top snare unit within the musical rhythms

Crown 2009- the somewhere WSS/OTR where only the bells are playing. So beautiful.

Crown-2012 most of that show.

Cadets 2015- French horn section

BD 2007 that last push.

Cadets 2011- the zipper drill move towards end of show.

• Like 1

Some particulars.

Guard: 2000 SCV. The supermegalongtoss of a rifle right at the release of tension in Adagio for Strings.

Brass: 2014 Blue Devils. The hits at the end of La Strada. Early July in Ft. Wayne they hit these with attacks and releases that were so clean. Loud but gentle. And since it was outdoors in a smaller stadium, there was no dome echo. The silences between seemed to suck the air out from all around you then let you breathe when they hit. That was the moment my brain said, "I know Bloo just gave a heck of a performance and I love that show, but no one is touching BD this year." I was surprised the spread was only a point. I think that was as close as anyone got.

General Efrdct: 1988 Madsion. As others said. Fade, turn, roll, BOOM. Nothing fancy. Everything special.

Drill: 2010 Phantom. The snap into the chevron, marching it diagonally across the field and heel kick stop. Perhaps the most effect use of the chevron ever.

Percussion: have to think a bit more on this. 2910 Phantom Regiment of course but that's a "whole show" effort. If there's one moments that stands out, it's more about the judge tape reaction "OMG basses!" thab the actual moment in the show. Edit to add: Now that you folks have reminded me...yeah Cadets 2000. That tenor madness on the sideline. Watching it again reminded me of just how much I was jumping up and yelling that night. Some really bonkers moments in that show, but the deal with the tenors was all that and more.

Edited by KVG_DC

Santa Clara plays "Dark Orchid"

Buckeyes march off from retreat (Rochester,NY) going back of everyone and the soloist giving the judges the BIRD!

Charioteers playing "March of the Charioteers"

I call this the 'surprise and delight' moment. Every great show has at least one. Four come instantly to my mind, things I saw, heard or felt that blew me away (I've been a drum corps fan for only five years).

On video: Phantom 2008 "I am Spartacus!" (The drama of that moment has not been matched in any other show I've seen.)

In person: My first time to Indy, 2011 - Madison's rotating company front - first one I'd ever seen. Sublime!

In person: Troopers 2013 - that sunburst definitely surprised and delighted me (I loved how the crowd anticipated it)

In person: Crown 2012 - many awe inspiring moments: brassiliciousness coupled with gravity defying drill.

Dare I add a fifth controversial one, because it has nothing to do with marching or playing: Tilt's pitch bend WAS a brilliant GE innovation.

Edited by luv4corps

I think in 1991 some of the helicopter effects in SCV's show blew me away live, and still make me smile. The opening thing, as well as the "Fall of Saigon" near the end are incredibly staged, very innovative music design, and performed awesomely! I think that is one of the most important innovations in music/percussion orchestration of the modern era.

Crossmen's percussion feature in 1992: the absolute BAMF swagger of the battery!!

Crossmen's opening phrase in 1996, with the toms on the field & the brass using flags. As a drummer, it was such a great attention-getting opener with cool writing and fun drumming.

Cadets 2000 tenor feature + sop feature: what a really fun moment I wish I could've seen live

Garfield 87 end, of course - one I don't think I'll ever tire of watching on Blu-ray

• Like 1