Brief moments...not shows...that stick out in your mind.

2011 Regiment's "Elsa's Procession"

Glad it's not just me. I've been rewatching that ending for the last two weeks. No matter how many times I watch it, it still gets me.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

The tie in the early 80's at DCM between Phantom and Madison and they did their shows again for a winner!

• Like 1

Phantom '93: Fire of Eternal Glory. It builds and builds---the hornline stops in the wedge, there's a quick cutoff (to breathe) and 14 G contras lay the rug for that gorgeous C-major chord. Like running through a carwash.

My favorite BD guard moment. Ever: 2002, halfway through the show. The horns segue into that lay-down jazz section while the silks do a windmill-like arm/flag spin. Holy wow!

Live:The ribbon set at the end of Crown's 2013 opener at a TOC show in Illinois. They literally shook the stadium. This was the first show I had ever seen live, and the difference between what I was hearing and YouTube audio was unbelievable. I had full-body chills and I was fighting back tears...super weird for me at the time. That was the moment I decided I HAD to march.

In video:The brass hit at the end of Flower Duet in Phantom '07. The way the battery cuts out leaving only the brass holding that chord was and is still one of my favorite effects a corps can create.

Wow...great moments all!!! Thanks, everyone, for contributing. And keep 'em coming!!

ok... gimme 2 from 91...

VK sop solo to open "I feel good"

Overly suggestive guard at hit in Phantom ballad transitioning to closer. (seriously changed my life)

After that...

92 VK semis wherein the announcement was made they won the chili cookoff right as they were taking the field (also shark moment finals night WHOA)

02 Cadets when they raised the flag dressed as firemen back field and the emergency crews turned their lights on

97 scouts company front when the drum major turns around and takes a pic of the crowd

and since I didn't see anyone else say it... 11 Scouts... ESOM

few more here and there I'll just tuck away.

Edited by sacrificialclown

Off the top of my head (I'm sure I'll think of more later) -

1989 Cavaliers - very beginning of the show, circle and triangle rotates and then the yellow flags come out - great moment!

1992 Madison Scouts - Funny (the finale/drum feature) snares with the cymbals up behind them. That's what Madison is about.

1992 Crossmen snare feature - yeah. Oh yeah. (found the sheet music a few years ago online. Oh, oh yeah.)

1996 Phantom Regiment - the major chord resolution in the closer right before the finale. Builds and builds and builds and then... perfect.

1997 Madison Scouts - the pirate fight on the drum rack - that pretty much sums up that show...

2000 Cadets - the tenor feature. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you clearly haven't seen the show. Go watch. We'll wait...

2001 Cavaliers - right after the first melody in the drum feature, the whole horn block moves left while the alternate files rotate within - the music's not blasting, and it's a totally subtle yet "holy crap" moment of drill.

2003 Blue Devils - the first snare soli in the opener. As a drummer, my jaw hit the floor for some of that stuff. There's a great YouTube video of the battery practicing that while in an arc, and you can clearly see what each person is doing. Amazing stuff.

2005 Phantom Regiment - End of the opener, and I realized I spent the entire song watching nothing but the one guy guard member, who totally carried the show on his own. Never been quite so taken with a single guard performance as that one.

2008 Phantom Regiment - stab stab stab. I will always be proud to say I was there for that.

2011 Madison Scouts - Empire State of Mind - yeah, the slow build again, but wow - that bit jams.

2013 Carolina Crown - first blast of the full horn line in their opener (not the preshow) - ff and total horn runs. Brilliant! Totally set the stage for what the corps was all about (and still is).

Mike

1981 2-7: The marching tymp feature in Crown Imperial as the hornline plays the backfield chorale...simply a 10, and if DCI were in a perfect world those 4 players would be inducted as an ensemble into the DCI HOF. (added bonus: watch a video of the tymp guys during New Country (the '81 drum solo), and watch how they pull off the glissando before the snare feature.)

1987 SCV: The high mark time at the end of RCM...in your face, no apologies drum corps.

1988 Suncoast Sound: the last drill move and horn impact that ends the show.

1993 Star: The feature where the hornline is in a wedge shape, and the brass has a simple "Bop...Bee dah" phrase...on the "bop" each member does a rocking motion/leg lean in an opposite direction from the member in front, then on the "bee dah" they switch and lean the other (opposite) way. Hugely effective when combined with the stark uniforms on a green field.

2004 SCV: The opening 16 bars which made me sit back and say, "Wow, they CAN play loud."

2013 Crown: opening statement...would love to see Crown revisit Also Sprach Z but do so in the same fashion that Brazilian keyboardist Eumir Deodato did in 1972 with his famous jazz arrangement of the piece (available on Youtube, turn it way up.)

A previous poster mentioned the Tenderland hit in '84 SCV...thanks, it was a pleasure to play.

• Like 2