Brief moments...not shows...that stick out in your mind.

A previous poster mentioned the Tenderland hit in '84 SCV...thanks, it was a pleasure to play.

No. Thank YOU. It was our pleasure to experience.

• Like 1

This is surely a brief moment, and probably one that few would consider either momentous or highly innovative, but it is a moment that fully caught my attention and remains for me as one of those neat little gems that make me smile.

2013 Bluecoats opening minute. Military commands, corps in parade block, guard "in the stands", and the parade begins. Quick transition into Paul Simon's "America". First big hit. Then the simple gem: transition into a snippet of Sousa's "Washington Post" played in such a way as to sound like a marching band moving away and heard from a distance.

Nothing earth-shattering, but a nicely thought out and designed opener (especially the Sousa snippet) that just worked for me

• Like 2

Not sure where you draw the line on old school and current. But I see a lot of people saying before 2000 and after post 2000. So pre 2000

87 Cadets dissolving company front.

94 blue Devils The explosive brass sound during the Chick Corea show, right before the ballad. I have to admit I don't remember the name of the piece, but I think it is off of the My Spanish Heart album.

98 Cavaliers I remember it was the show in Ypsilanti Michigan, and I think Cavies had just added a new ending. The last 2 minutes of that show with the stepover the guard, and the guard members playing the cymbals, was enough to leave us breathless. I remember as score were announced, and Cavaliers placed 2nd to BD that night, everyone looked so confused, as we all thought the Cavies had it won that night. One of the most exciting closers ever.

VK 92. While it may have not placed top 6, that show was amazing, and when they brought out the shark during finals week, it was amazing. I am not sure if they added it that week, or earlier, because I don't remember seeing them before finals week that year.

SCV is so hard to pick out of their amazing moments. 94 changing of the colorguard, 85 tunnel change, 87 broom trick, 89 disappearing Phantom, or the year they ended with the last note in the tunnel(I can't remember which year that was now). If I have to pick from these, probably 89 Disappearig Phantom.

Post 2000

BD 2000 Pit Accelarando. Only time I have ever seen a standing ovation for the pit section, and 100% deserved. I am not sure at any point in my life could I move my hands and fingers that fast, and hit the right notes too. And 4 people doing it simultaneously. Absolutely amazing.

08 Cavaliers Without a doubt the best show of the year, with the best moment of the year being the slow motion backbend as the Samarai slashes the sword over his head, which occured right after the exciting double leapovers.

Jersey Surf 04 Take The Penalty. At the time they were a DII-Open Class corps. But that ending where they took a penalty, and jammed out on the track is what is all about. They may not have placed top 3 in Open Class, or may not have placed top 25 if they had competed in prelims, but that ending was awesome, and had the crowd eating out of their hands at Open Class finals that year.

SCV Ballet for Martha. SCV put on an amazing show with Ballet for Martha. When they announed the show, i was not excited, as I am not a huge fan of App Spring, after seeing approximately 120 versions of it on the field over the last 40 years. But when the show built and built, and ended in that amazig company front, it somehow made it one of my favorite shows of the year.

Blue Knights 2002, probably the best use of classical music ever. Deep dark, and amazing. I couldn't believe that show didn't place 9th that year. But that ending is one of my favorite musical moments ever.

One of my favorite moments not in competition, was SCV alumni in 2002. When they got to the bottle dance ending, I don't think I've ever seen so many people in tears, which may have been a little hard to see with the tears welling up in my eyes as well.

• Like 1

The closers to Boston's and The Cadet's shows in 2002.

Just based off this year because it was the first time i saw the top corps live at the end of the season I would have to say when SCV lit up and when the gold fabric went over and Crown formed the crown.

2013 Boston's Closer

And Bloo playing the Boxer during their encores.

Edited by CrownCrusaders

1972, Marion, OH...US Open finals

Blue Rock comes out to the field in this tight block!!! Freakin' AWESOME!!!!!!

OH and I got to hear Anaheim Kingsmen for the first time ever!!!!

Finals, 1997.

The Cavaliers hornline turned to us (Madison) and played their corps song before exiting the field during retreat. They played beautifully, and we were right there in the arc, great memory!

• Like 1

08 Cavaliers Without a doubt the best show of the year, with the best moment of the year being the slow motion backbend as the Samarai slashes the sword over his head, which occured right after the exciting double leapovers.

Oh, man, I loved that part. The Cavaliers have such a mystique about them, but they rarely play up to it on the field. It was a nifty little moment. Kind of funny, too, that as time goes on that Samurai show is the one that DCP fans keep referring back to, honestly, more than BD.

Mike

On recordings (audio or video): The Quartet at the end of Spanish Fantasy in Blue Devils '86. I know most people remember Channel One from that show, but for me that quartet in Spanish Fantasy is still the benchmark against which all other soprano/trumpet solos are measured.

As a spectator (pre-marching): Blue Devils '92 encore after the Atlanta show. When a Man Loves a Woman. sitting in about the 10th row, on the 50. Enough said.

While marching: in '95 Madison, going from the swing set in Malaga through that drum break, soprano quartet, and into the park and blow. I was perfectly positioned to be able to see, and feel, the intensity of first the snares, in that drum break, and then the quartet (which very, very closely rivals the '86 Devils quartet, above) as I made my way to my set for the park and blow...such intensity from everyone, including audiences, at that moment.

my personal favorite:

2012 Blue Devils - The big hit at the very end, where they form up into lines and transfer the shape in a circular motion is visually and acoustically one of the most amazing things ive seen in DCI.

other stick-outs:

2013 Cavaliers - When the low brass is given the melody at the end, and the Tubas do this half time march

2007 Blue Devils - Essentially the first 4 minutes of the show are always stuck in my head

2012 Carolina Crown - A few marimba runs throughout, mainly near the end, i always listen for them

2010 Cavaliers - THIS. IS. MY RIFLE.

2005 Cadets - The Vocal Drum Break

2005 Cadets - "What fun! It's music, now dance! *giggle*"

All I can think of from the top of my head...definitely many many more though