Non-standard instrumentation configuration through the years?

Teal Sound.... utilized Rock Guitars in the World Class Division DCI Field competition for the first time, a few years back. That was a first, imo. I have no idea how the Rock Guitar performance execution is judged, nor what caption judge judged the playing that season, nor what the judges training, qualifications are on the proper playing technigues, sound quality, to come from the Rock Guitar instrument and from the Corps Rock Guitar performers. My guess, nobody else here can say for certain either.( haha!). Its a leap of faith when it comes to DCI judging and how they do their thing. Same as it ever was. But Teal Sound's utilization of Rock Guitars was " unexpected " for me. Heck, I did not even know DCI had approved this musical instrument for Field competition, until I saw it being judged on the field that season. Thats how " unexpected " it was for me as a long time fan when I saw it for the first time out there.

They were judged as part of the front ensemble and they fell under Music Effect & Percussion performance. It was quite a risk using them but we had so many great and not-so great comments about it that I am glad we were able to put it out there for all to either enjoy or hate!!!

They were judged as part of the front ensemble and they fell under Music Effect & Percussion performance. It was quite a risk using them but we had so many great and not-so great comments about it that I am glad we were able to put it out there for all to either enjoy or hate!!!

Additionally they were judged under music ensemble as well (in fact, that caption was where we got the most helpful commentary in 09 and 10).

Can't speak for horns, but off the top of my head -

Cadets' 14 tenors in '91, for sure (though they were criminally underused - MORE TENOR!)

Madison added 4 grounded tenors for Funny in '91 too (so sad that all the PBS broadcast caught was them almost falling over)

Cavaliers in '92 added 3 basses during the drum feature (so they had 8)

Madison in '96 had 8 tenors for the entire show (I don't know if it was IBM's recording, but those were the quietest 8 tenors ever...)

Madison '98 moved the battery around throughout the show - tenors moved to snare in the opener, snares moved to tenor in Remembrance.

Les Etoiles... can't remember the year... also moved their small battery from instrument to instrument through the show

Boston 2003 put the tenors on snare for the intro to Malaguena.

Stretching my memory here, but didn't Crown move the entire hornline to soprano/mello in '14 for part of Out of This World? And Phantom '06 moved everyone to baritone during the ballad?

Mike

IIRC Star did not march a snare line one year, and instead mounted 'popcorn snares' onto their tenors and marched a large "tenor" line. Seems like a cool idea, but I think they only did it one year, and I think I heard they were...uncomfortable to carry. Of course, I've also heard stories from CBC snares in 91 about how not-super-comfortable the snares or tenors were to march

IIRC Star did not march a snare line one year, and instead mounted 'popcorn snares' onto their tenors and marched a large "tenor" line. Seems like a cool idea, but I think they only did it one year, and I think I heard they were...uncomfortable to carry. Of course, I've also heard stories from CBC snares in 91 about how not-super-comfortable the snares or tenors were to march

I think you're thinking of the '89 (British Invasion) show, and they did create teeny snares for the toms, but it wasn't the whole line. You can hear them pretty well on the recordings during Fantasia on the Dargason.

Mike

1978 Kilties got a bit ahead of the percussion curve. They started the season with a lot of non-standard drums: 14" snares with 12", 13" and 15" toms attached. No tenor line. 7 bass drums mounted horizontally. Grounded tympani with just one player (not sure how they got away with that), and marching octobans.

Apparently, the judges of the day were not as keenly appreciative of innovation as their modern-day brethren. Mid-season, the drum line switched back to "traditional" percussion. Sic transit gloria octobani.

Scouts pit marched timbales for a few bars in 95. Also they marched the conga in 94 for a few bars as well. And then there was the yellow floor toms that were used in 93.