DCI Audio/Video

George Hopkins sent an email out today to all of the USBands High School Band Directors that there would be NO videos made this season for USBands championship shows due to copyright issues...

This issue is going to reach far and wide now that its spreading to HS band circuits. Imagine the frustration of high school seniors and their parents when they find out they won't be able to purchase a professionally made video keepsake of their Senior year performance at championships.

I know many parents just whip out their phones and record anyway, but it will still be a surprising and frustrating issue for those parents and fans of the high school bands who don't follow the marching arts like we do (DCI, BOA, WGI, etc), and are expecting to be able to purchase videos at or after the various circuit championship shows.

I know BOA has still not been able to release the 2014 vids from last fall... sad.

Regarding parents having professional copies of a performance, this could possibly happen. When schools perform plays or musicals, you can usually pay for the rights to record copies for performers and one for archival purposes, but they cannot be sold, cannot be rebroadcast publicly which includes social media sites, and there are all other stipulations inc,using who can and cannot have copies. My thought is the same could hold true for an individual performance but not a full show including the other competitors.

Now if the lawyers or music educators say this is wrong, especially those who may direct the band and the school's drama dept. who have dealt with both say the issues are different, believe them.

Regarding parents having professional copies of a performance, this could possibly happen. When schools perform plays or musicals, you can usually pay for the rights to record copies for performers and one for archival purposes, but they cannot be sold, cannot be rebroadcast publicly which includes social media sites, and there are all other stipulations inc,using who can and cannot have copies. My thought is the same could hold true for an individual performance but not a full show including the other competitors.

Now if the lawyers or music educators say this is wrong, especially those who may direct the band and the school's drama dept. who have dealt with both say the issues are different, believe them.

I've never known this to be true. In the rental agreements with MTI, Tams-Whitemark, etc. the contract says you can't do this, even for "educational" purposes.

If some schools/directors of musicals, plays, etc. allow it, they are risking copyright infringement.

As with any of this, there are certainly going to be exceptions, but it's definitely not a common thing.

I've never known this to be true. In the rental agreements with MTI, Tams-Whitemark, etc. the contract says you can't do this, even for "educational" purposes.

If some schools/directors of musicals, plays, etc. allow it, they are risking copyright infringement.

As with any of this, there are certainly going to be exceptions, but it's definitely not a common thing.

Up until a few years ago, what you say was my understanding and I have signed agreements and contracts for plays and musicals to be performed at our parish school which are similar to what you describe. We do not record but are allowed one copy for archival purposes that cannot be copied or broadcast publicly. My niece attended a charter school that did do what I mentioned and they told me about the extra fee for the recording, which was a hefty price and the fee donated by a parent. Now here is where the exception could be. The shows we do, and the charter school I mentioned, are modified for elementary schools and not the full stage production. They are also not the big name shows, which I've noticed in many catalogues or elementary and middle school are no longer available but were a few years ago. An of course, there is also the possibility that the charter school was incorrect in assuming they could record.

DCI has removed paid digital audio downloads again from Fan Network.

Mike

Maybe...just maybe....this means they're taking steps to "reintroduce" the fan network like they said they were going to do.

Deep down, I don't believe this is the case, but I'm going to enjoy my denial a little while longer.

Maybe...just maybe....this means they're taking steps to "reintroduce" the fan network like they said they were going to do.

Deep down, I don't believe this is the case, but I'm going to enjoy my denial a little while longer.

I feel your pain. Anytime I check the DCI website, I'm hoping against all hope to see that we can preorder the 2015 finals. I suppose I'm in denial too.

I feel your pain. Anytime I check the DCI website, I'm hoping against all hope to see that we can preorder the 2015 finals. I suppose I'm in denial too.

Add me to the list. Maybe we should start a support group.

Too late, someone already created DCP.

Add me to the list. Maybe we should start a support group.

Too late, someone already created DCP.

Hi, I'm losnickes.

"Hi, losnickes."

Every night, I wake up from a recurring dream that I preordered the 2015 DCI Finals Blu-Ray, but then I remember that it's just a fantasy. I suppose it probably goes back to when I thought I'd get a DVD with the Madison Scouts' full 2011 performance, video completely intact. I guess I've never really gotten over that.

Be back later, I have another support group for alcoholics, which I need because I weep over the nonexistent 2015 audio/video.

*APPLAUSE*

Local papers website is reporting Aerosmiths Steven Tyler is asking Trump to quit using "Dream On" at DTs political functions.

Issue is "of permission and copyright"... interesting....

Article I saw had few details so no sense linking.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

George Hopkins sent an email out today to all of the USBands High School Band Directors that there would be NO videos made this season for USBands championship shows due to copyright issues...

This issue is going to reach far and wide now that its spreading to HS band circuits. Imagine the frustration of high school seniors and their parents when they find out they won't be able to purchase a professionally made video keepsake of their Senior year performance at championships.

I know many parents just whip out their phones and record anyway, but it will still be a surprising and frustrating issue for those parents and fans of the high school bands who don't follow the marching arts like we do (DCI, BOA, WGI, etc), and are expecting to be able to purchase videos at or after the various circuit championship shows.

I know BOA has still not been able to release the 2014 vids from last fall... sad.

Even, then, that's a HUGE difference in 'home movies of my kid's band' vs 'professionally shot/edited videos of my kid's band.'

It's a loss for all the parents and fans, really