DCI Audio/Video

But if the alternative to digging in those heels is for DVDs to, say, double in price?

Then we will definitely see if the costs associated with procuring all necessary rights to sell archival videos is worth it to the fans/members/parents. I think at this point we honestly don't know that answer to that definitively

• Like 1

We don't, but DCI might have done some market research.

Just checked the DCI Store. It seems that they have quietly launched a sale on all physical media. Looks to be about 15% off on all CD's, DVD's and Blu-Rays from 2014 through the Legacy Collection. Not their best sale ever, but the words that caught my attention in the banner ad (once you get to the DC Store) was the phrase, "While Supplies Last."

This combined with the previous quote from Music for All on the discontinuation of their DVD product is causing me to consider an investment to complete my library.

Just checked the DCI Store. It seems that they have quietly launched a sale on all physical media. Looks to be about 15% off on all CD's, DVD's and Blu-Rays from 2014 through the Legacy Collection. Not their best sale ever, but the words that caught my attention in the banner ad (once you get to the DC Store) was the phrase, "While Supplies Last."

This combined with the previous quote from Music for All on the discontinuation of their DVD product is causing me to consider an investment to complete my library.

When I purchased a Legacy DVD a few years ago at Indy, the clerk thought they were sold out, and implied once they were gone, they'd be gone, so not replenishing supplies may not be related to the current issues. They probably have to have enough copies to make it worthwhile, and as those of us who attended shows in the 70's and 80's purchase the DVD's, the demand decreases. However, now is the time to complete collections. I get so much enjoyment watching the whole slectrum of shows, from the fragments from 1974 to 2014.

My understanding through this has always been that the problem lies in both the sync rights and the streaming media rights. If that is correct, why no 2015 CD's yet? Are we looking at that format also disappearing forever?

My understanding through this has always been that the problem lies in both the sync rights and the streaming media rights. If that is correct, why no 2015 CD's yet? Are we looking at that format also disappearing forever?

Maybe, but remember that the art that is at issue here is the music or sound (i.e. narrative (think Cadets 12.25 with the movie clips)). While there is of course some vaule in syncing visual art with music, the real value to the copyright holders is in the performance, arrangement, and recording of the music (and use of samples, etc.). That's where the problem lies.

I agree that "While Supplies Last" suggests that they are at least flirting with the idea of not replacing any media that goes out of stock.

But I'm not sure this is really "a sale" as suggested. Those of us who have been checking the DCI Store daily, hoping against hope for a release of 2015 shows on media, will have noticed that the prices on media covering the two previous seasons dropped on about October 1st. But this happens every year. I believe the other prices are where they have been.

Note that the banner ad mentioned may not be visible if your browser has an ad blocker installed. I had to disable mine to see it.

my hunch is we're screwed going forward, but I don't blame DCI for the most part. I blame the mega company trying to rewrite the rules and the courts for letting them

• Like 1

my hunch is we're screwed going forward, but I don't blame DCI for the most part. I blame the mega company trying to rewrite the rules and the courts for letting them

Yep.