Cadets 2016

Tobias

I'm one of those people who is not bothered by spelling and grammar errors on public forums.

Hilariously snarky comment removed. I wouldn't want to upset anybody.

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I've been looking at the videos that Hop put up of Mechanicsburg's WGI group. To qualify, I'm not a fan of WGI. I just do not enjoy the rolling around on the floor and the over-emoting to a nonsensical theme. It just seems so contrived and artificial. Art should have a sense of reality even when it's abstract in nature. I liken it to a singer that places an emphasis on ornamentation and vocal gymnastics rather than the song's lyrics.

Regardless, I like Mech's equipment work and the randomness of its style. I like the flag work better than the rifle work. Not a fan of the interpretive dance, but I know that's part of the beast now. I will begrudgingly admit this style will help the Cadets' guard scores significantly.

I'm in a wait and see mode, but I'm a bit nervous about the new approach to GE.

• Like 1

I've been looking at the videos that Hop put up of Mechanicsburg's WGI group. To qualify, I'm not a fan of WGI. I just do not enjoy the rolling around on the floor and the over-emoting to a nonsensical theme. It just seems so contrived and artificial. Art should have a sense of reality even when it's abstract in nature. I liken it to a singer that places an emphasis on ornamentation and vocal gymnastics rather than the song's lyrics.

Regardless, I like Mech's equipment work and the randomness of its style. I like the flag work better than the rifle work. Not a fan of the interpretive dance, but I know that's part of the beast now. I will begrudgingly admit this style will help the Cadets' guard scores significantly.

Ah ha!

So George Dixon and George Hopkins are one and the same.

That explains that mutual admiration society. I thought it was just the Kool-Aid imbibing.

But doesn't DCP restrict one person to one screen name account?

cf. post 1759 this thread.

Edited by xandandl

I wish corps were rewarded for what THEY do and not encouraged to follow the "trend in design". Eventually they will all look the same.
  • Like 2

I've been traveling a bunch for work, so I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

But I'm curious if there's been any talk about whether the new show title, combined with the statue theme, could be a reference to the J. Seward Johnson statue in Washington, DC?

124214251_a33167781b.jpg

I've been traveling a bunch for work, so I haven't been keeping up with the thread.

But I'm curious if there's been any talk about whether the new show title, combined with the statue theme, could be a reference to the J. Seward Johnson statue in Washington, DC?

124214251_a33167781b.jpg

Holy crap! I've never seen that and I live in D.C. Where is that?

Ah ha!

So George Dixon and George Hopkins are one and the same.

That explains that mutual admiration society. I thought it was just the Kool-Aid imbibing.

But doesn't DCP restrict one person to one screen name account?

cf. post 1759 this thread.

Maybe you find this amusing, I do not. Obviously not the same people, zero personal or professional relationship. And the Koolaid comment is just you being insulting

• Like 2

Maybe you find this amusing, I do not. Obviously not the same people, zero personal or professional relationship. And the Koolaid comment is just you being insulting

Don't let him bother you. If it means anything, I always like your Cadet posts. They're always spot on as are mine..😉

• Like 3

Interesting that GH on FB was very critical of the WGI push for visual in the music sections (winter percussion was his current example but also DCI). He finds it silly and of no added effect but now mandatory in the eyes of the judges. I guess we will see more of this from the Cadets especially after their poor placement in 2015. (I thought a second place corps certainly not 4th). I think we'll still see SOME gunning though since he's not a fan of all the standing around and posing that wins now.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

124214251_a33167781b.jpg

Holy crap! I've never seen that and I live in D.C. Where is that?

Once at Hains Point (which is where that picture looks to have been taken) it's now at the National Harbor.