Cadets 2016

Tobias

LOVE me a good flag feature..............something about 30 something flags moving in perfect unison that is just absolutely mesmerizing. Some of those in the 90s. Woof. Amazing. 2014 had some really great stuff in there, opening with the blue flags, beautiful.

Agreed. Throw me ONE great unison flag sequence ala CADETS 2014 and you can do all your silly dancing, vogueing BDing the rest of the show.

So a bit more from rehearsal yesterday...

The corps has the opener on the field, the second tune (other than last 15 or so sets), and the ballad on the field

So far the show is very "intense" with several dramatic moments and quite a bit of body movement, more of a "modern dance" or "lyrical" style than we've seen from them in the past

The corps is quite loud and puts out some great quality of sound. They were busy working on things such as general dynamics during the ensemble and brass rehearsal I saw. So bigger picture things obviously this time of the year...

There was no violin solo at rehearsal, I would imagine (she) is arriving soon. They have some violin solo playing out of the pit right now in the electronic underpinnings of the show - which if performed live, should sound great

I do think the violin addition suits the program well. Should layer on the emotional nature of the music/staging appropriately

The brass soloist was present at rehearsal. He is a ringer, as expected, with a terrific orchestra quality tone. He is currently being mic'd and amp'd (as are the french horns during their difficult feature on the stage) -- corps needs to work on settings for amplification and reverb, or lose the amplification idea altogether. These are currently very out of balance with the rest of the ensemble and come out of a speaker that also places them geographically (spatially) out of synch with the ensemble. So work to do there...

The music/show is quite dark, sad, there's an underlying feeling of loss or death or betrayal - so in this way, the black cadet uniforms seem to make a lot of sense

The guard is ahead of last year at this juncture. I personally prefer the guard work, staging and choreography. The weapons line seems extremely talented. The guard in general appeared younger than the past couple seasons, but with a lot of talent

The guard is very featured throughout - so hopefully they build on this early potential, as the success of the emotional aspect of the program will depend heavily on them

The weapon and silk work displayed so far (although incredibly dirty and rough as it was just learned) appears to be much more modern and "whole body" vs. utilizing just the upper body

Brass ensemble itself puts out an amazing sound. I'd place them on par with last years line, but I personally prefer this year's arrangements and staging. The tendency is to play in little clusters at standstill during their hardest "featured" moments - ala BD, And like BD, they also have key moments of extreme musical challenge on the move. The drill is allowing them to put out incredible quality of sound and staging them appropriately.

Pit seems improved from last year. Some very musical writing with a bit more electronic underpinnings at this stage than last season. A very movie-like underscore for the entire production. Several keyboard features during the portion of the show I saw yesterday.

Battery is a monster once again. The snares and base line are on par with last year (possibly improved, but too early to say for sure) while the tenors seems a notch above last year as a set. If you remember, that was an area of turnover for the first half of last season - may have cost them the drum trophy in the end

Battery has a wonderful feature right down front during the first 3rd of the program - something missing the past couple years IMO

There are 3 "props" or stages - two on the field as raised platforms for the violin and trumpet soloists. Those were being "recreated" yesterday using stacked "10" boxes from 2015. I'm sure a more permanent stage is in the works. The guard uses these to store equipment and large scarfs/panels they dance with during the ballad. This allows them to switch equipment somewhere other than the sidelines. These field stages are well incorporated into the drill and serve to anchor several features of dance and/or musical features (plus the solos)

The front "stage" is long and very low, runs about 5 yards in front of the front sidelines down the entire field from say 15 yard line to 15 yard line (it wasn't set up last night so a guess on my part). It is about 2 feet high and has ramps connecting it backwards to the field so members can just run up for features

During the opener the the guard (on silk) utilize the front stage.

The second tune sees the french horn solo and weapons feature (some nice rifle work) utilize the stage

During the ballad (as it pushes forward during the build) several brass players (upper/mid) and a few featured dancers use the front stage before they "drift" back as the ballad subsides

The Cadets are using 3 conductors - 1 each on the front 35's and one on the 50 back field

My favorite portion so far is the ballad, very powerful emotionally

Should be a good season for the Cadets, I'm personally quite exited by the design and hard working/talented members

• Like 9

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153620862616911&id=507456910

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen. My body is ready :laugh:

I mildly enjoy the comments underneath as well!

So a bit more from rehearsal yesterday...

The corps has the opener on the field, the second tune (other than last 15 or so sets), and the ballad on the field

So far the show is very "intense" with several dramatic moments and quite a bit of body movement, more of a "modern dance" or "lyrical" style than we've seen from them in the past

The corps is quite loud and puts out some great quality of sound. They were busy working on things such as general dynamics during the ensemble and brass rehearsal I saw. So bigger picture things obviously this time of the year...

There was no violin solo at rehearsal, I would imagine (she) is arriving soon. They have some violin solo playing out of the pit right now in the electronic underpinnings of the show - which if performed live, should sound great

I do think the violin addition suits the program well. Should layer on the emotional nature of the music/staging appropriately

The brass soloist was present at rehearsal. He is a ringer, as expected, with a terrific orchestra quality tone. He is currently being mic'd and amp'd (as are the french horns during their difficult feature on the stage) -- corps needs to work on settings for amplification and reverb, or lose the amplification idea altogether. These are currently very out of balance with the rest of the ensemble and come out of a speaker that also places them geographically (spatially) out of synch with the ensemble. So work to do there...

The music/show is quite dark, sad, there's an underlying feeling of loss or death or betrayal - so in this way, the black cadet uniforms seem to make a lot of sense

The guard is ahead of last year at this juncture. I personally prefer the guard work, staging and choreography. The weapons line seems extremely talented. The guard in general appeared younger than the past couple seasons, but with a lot of talent

The guard is very featured throughout - so hopefully they build on this early potential, as the success of the emotional aspect of the program will depend heavily on them

The weapon and silk work displayed so far (although incredibly dirty and rough as it was just learned) appears to be much more modern and "whole body" vs. utilizing just the upper body

Brass ensemble itself puts out an amazing sound. I'd place them on par with last years line, but I personally prefer this year's arrangements and staging. The tendency is to play in little clusters at standstill during their hardest "featured" moments - ala BD, And like BD, they also have key moments of extreme musical challenge on the move. The drill is allowing them to put out incredible quality of sound and staging them appropriately.

Pit seems improved from last year. Some very musical writing with a bit more electronic underpinnings at this stage than last season. A very movie-like underscore for the entire production. Several keyboard features during the portion of the show I saw yesterday.

Battery is a monster once again. The snares and base line are on par with last year (possibly improved, but too early to say for sure) while the tenors seems a notch above last year as a set. If you remember, that was an area of turnover for the first half of last season - may have cost them the drum trophy in the end

Battery has a wonderful feature right down front during the first 3rd of the program - something missing the past couple years IMO

There are 3 "props" or stages - two on the field as raised platforms for the violin and trumpet soloists. Those were being "recreated" yesterday using stacked "10" boxes from 2015. I'm sure a more permanent stage is in the works. The guard uses these to store equipment and large scarfs/panels they dance with during the ballad. This allows them to switch equipment somewhere other than the sidelines. These field stages are well incorporated into the drill and serve to anchor several features of dance and/or musical features (plus the solos)

The front "stage" is long and very low, runs about 5 yards in front of the front sidelines down the entire field from say 15 yard line to 15 yard line (it wasn't set up last night so a guess on my part). It is about 2 feet high and has ramps connecting it backwards to the field so members can just run up for features

During the opener the the guard (on silk) utilize the front stage.

The second tune sees the french horn solo and weapons feature (some nice rifle work) utilize the stage

During the ballad (as it pushes forward during the build) several brass players (upper/mid) and a few featured dancers use the front stage before they "drift" back as the ballad subsides

The Cadets are using 3 conductors - 1 each on the front 35's and one on the 50 back field

My favorite portion so far is the ballad, very powerful emotionally

Should be a good season for the Cadets, I'm personally quite exited by the design and hard working/talented members

Thanks George.

Great critique

• Like 1

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153620862616911&id=507456910

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen. My body is ready :laugh:

It says here it will cost a $1,000 to be an immovable stone statue all summer for the Cadets. No talent required.

But the Couchmen only charge for the beer and pretzels to sit all summer for them. No talent required either. Which seems the better deal ?