Cadets 2016

Tobias

Late to the party again, but daaaaaaamn did they sound and look amazing. I'm so excited for 2016. So excited!

• Like 1

And the $34 spent during the Date was more enjoyable.

Oh Com'on Ghost, wouldn't you be more interested in knowing if he got lucky, then the fact that he spent 34 bucks ?

Edited by BRASSO

Hmm legitimately curious here: why is Hopkins so vocal about donations? I'm sure the Cadets are no worse off than other corps, right? Or maybe I should re-frame my question: why aren't more corps more vocal about donations?

I was thinking the exact same thing about your re-framed question. I think the Cadets do a good job of being up front with fans - "we need your money." I suspect that's much of the reason that George is so open about the corps and it's progress - he wants to feed fans, who might then be more willing to fork over some dough.

My favorite corps, the Phantom Regiment, seems to be not nearly as good at it. Perhaps they don't need or want to be, but I think they could do some things differently (e.g., take a look at the Cadets website, the Cadets media presence, the way that the Cadets frame giving).

• Like 1

I was thinking the exact same thing about your re-framed question. I think the Cadets do a good job of being up front with fans - "we need your money." I suspect that's much of the reason that George is so open about the corps and it's progress - he wants to feed fans, who might then be more willing to fork over some dough.

My favorite corps, the Phantom Regiment, seems to be not nearly as good at it. Perhaps they don't need or want to be, but I think they could do some things differently (e.g., take a look at the Cadets website, the Cadets media presence, the way that the Cadets frame giving).

Agreed. If it could help Phantom out, I'd love to see them try it

I'm not gettin' the slurred glis out of the bones at the end of Appian way. Way too much pandering with the instrument for me - cheesy. "Hey look! We have trombones!", instead of just letting that haunting sound do the talking.

There ain't no glis in the original and the harmonization of the original arrangement, though simpler, was just as obvious and more tasty, IMO.

Edited by garfield

And GH needs to STFU if he wants me to donate. I'm not paying for 12-yard wide, up close crotch shots of sweaty male guard, muddled sound, GH-speak and I don't care what time of the season it is. If this was a tease for money and a tease of the show, only one of those came close to working.

I'll spend my $34 on gas to Ada and tickets to the theater, thank you very much.

Honk

I'm not gettin' the slurred glis out of the bones at the end of Appian way. Way too much pandering with the instrument for me - cheesy. "Hey look! We have trombones!", instead of just letting that haunting sound do the talking.

There ain't no glis in the original and the harmonization of the original arrangement, though simpler, was just as obvious and more tasty, IMO.

Agreed. I never liked that addition. Easy to remove and with 3 weeks until first show, who knows. I was disappointed in no camera was set up upstairs giving us at least the visuals their doing which are great and field coverage expansive. Sound over a phone is what it is but if you're pushing for days to get money, at least reward us with an adequate set up. Hoping once they're in Ohio in a better facility, we'll see some "better" quality vids and obviously the show done. Closers make or break the show!

BUT I dig the show. A lot. Lots of emotion, lots are great brass and percussion stuff and the guard looks mature, expressive and certainly featured more. Excited to see it with the new unis. Last night was old unis.,Still waiting for the lighter accents that match guard and of course the guard statue costumes which are light and will really open up the look of the show

There is no honest purpose for using trombones in drumcorps other than for "shtick"... which inevitably means glissando. Same goes for the horns. It's not as if replacing the bassoon in a ww quintet with a bass clarinet would be a necessary or arguably artistic decision (the idiom calls for a bassoon).

The only reason for doing these substitutions in drumcorps is simply because drumcorps in its very nature is "shtick". The sooner fans appreciate that reality, then the sooner they can just enjoy the programs.