Cadets 2016

Tobias

Does anyone have a video of the show in it's current form?

That would also give me a frame of reference when I go see their ensemble this afternoon.

YEA article on the rain out at Nightbeat

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1350-rainout-at-nightbeat

NightBEAT Turned to Meet-and-Greet with BD

After a long delay leaving the lot after DCI's final Southeastern Championship at the Georgia Dome (before the new stadium opens next year), The Cadets finally departed for their next housing site in Clemmons, N.C.

About seven hours later, they arrived at West Forsyth High School around 8 a.m. to embark on a new day of rehearsal before another big show: The DCI Tour of Champions, NightBEAT edition at BB&T Field in Winston Salem....

Does anyone have a video of the show in it's current form?

this is from 3 days ago - there are small changes since then, but this is as close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9WH_IUVFc

(since this video half the guard now stands in the right side end zone mixed in with the statues to start the show... also the front stage is gone, but restaging things continues)

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

I was at the Georgia Dome on Saturday night and was seated at the 50 in the upper deck just above the judges.

The Cadets did experience problems with their electronic speakers toward the early part of the show particularly with the soloists. In the re-adjustments, it went too loud and when corrected made the music after seemed too soft.

I did like the new colors in the silks but still find that beige and burnt gold don't give the guard enough color in the peeling skin work with the guard. (Don't most Italians have olive toned skin???) The show does have a greater clarity. Congratulations for the agility and ease of dismounting the wedding cake and cupcake. The new covers help give a more trim appearence.

The removal of the stage definitely made the stumbling and bumbling of the melllophones, trumpets, and guardsters disappear. That being said, there is a need for some more re-staging of the French horns. I know they want to be up close to the microphones to maximize the beautiful concert tones they render. But the pitch of the Atlanta Dome box from the field makes the front sideline very cluttered. LOS will not be too different. At present one has to search the clutter of the front ensemble area to find where the brass sound is situated. Perhaps putting the FHs back on the field at the sidelines would work both musically and visually particularly if they are given some lateral space.

The PoR new ending block (very reminscent of past Regiment presentations) works to a degree, but because it is slow and deliberate and domes have an internal echo, what is meant to be stately came across as too morbid. It lacked verve.

Overall, I am not sanguine with the staging of the percussion line throughout the second half of the show. They lack the space to showcase such wonderful talent but get buried amidst the moddles.

The lack of any NFL or Atlanta Falcons insignia on the field or on the backsidelines especially made for a neater field appearance for Cadets and others. I would have flipped Crown over BD and Cadets over SCV who should have been given an OT penalty for not clearing and dismantling their "tree" in time out of the sightlines of the public and judges.

Keep working Cadets. The improvements are showing and you were the first corps to get strong crowd reactions.

The noisy and surprised reaction of the thousands of young bandos there when you opened with the Whale wail to start the show set a good tone for what followed.

I know I violated my own rule about commenting about Cadets' performance and show, but some of what I mention I did not see posted elsewhere. The kids are working hard.

• Like 5

All good news here! Looking forward to Indy. I've already started packing.

I have not purchased my ticket yet because I am waiting for some job-related news this week. I am looking forward to seeing their rehearsal this afternoon, although it looks like it may rain and if that happens, I will not be driving down to Annapolis. Can't wait to see what happens next week.

• Like 1

I really like the changes. Great Job Cadets!!!!

I have not purchased my ticket yet because I am waiting for some job-related news this week. I am looking forward to seeing their rehearsal this afternoon, although it looks like it may rain and if that happens, I will not be driving down to Annapolis. Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Good luck on the Job scene. Should we start practicing calling you Admiral Arugula?