Cadets 2016

Tobias

Not everyone judges design by its impact on placement. Not everyone even cares that much about placement.

It was a cool show idea and I'm glad they had the guts to do it.

It seems that some Cadets fans have become a bit more fixated on placement than entertainment factor lately

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4

It seems that some Cadets fans have become a bit more fixated on placement than entertainment factor lately

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am really entertained by this show, it's deep (maybe too deep?) and makes you think in a way. But the other top 4 shows are really, really, really, really freaking good. Like, good.

I am just glad we're getting a ton or good shows this year.

• Like 1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually I don't think many of us have been fixated on placement. Now that the show is improved we just want to corps to perform well.

We expect a lot of the Cadets. AND that's ok. They have a long history of 20+ national/world titles and a history of innovation and influence. When fans of corps with 1 championship ever get a little upidty it's ok we smack them down a rung.

Cadets are a very improved corps from 2 weeks ago. We are asking for a fresh look from the judges. The results in Annapolis alarmed me frankly as SCV was pretty weak that night. Cadets 2 pointed them. So it gets concerning to see the scores fall into a pattern no matter what.

• Like 1

How are the crowds reacting to the Cadets show?

The crowd in Atlanta was totally behind it. Great reception, especially the big musical moments. If I remember correctly, it was the first time that day where people started to stand before the show was completely over.

The crowd in Atlanta was totally behind it. Great reception, especially the big musical moments. If I remember correctly, it was the first time that day where people started to stand before the show was completely over.

Awesome!! Heard they got a great reaction in ATL.

Actually I don't think many of us have been fixated on placement. Now that the show is improved we just want to corps to perform well.

We expect a lot of the Cadets. AND that's ok. They have a long history of 20+ national/world titles and a history of innovation and influence. When fans of corps with 1 championship ever get a little upidty it's ok we smack them down a rung.

Cadets are a very improved corps from 2 weeks ago. We are asking for a fresh look from the judges. The results in Annapolis alarmed me frankly as SCV was pretty weak that night. Cadets 2 pointed them. So it gets concerning to see the scores fall into a pattern no matter what.

As much as I love their show musically this year, the same thing that held them back last year seems to be holding them back again (at least in the area of GE): the staging of the guard.

It was a problem last season, and it is worse this year. Their staging is disjointed, and they far too often go from form to form via scatter drill that has no rhyme or reason. It's distracting, and it takes away from moments that could have quite an impact. The other problem is the lack of variety in how the guard designers approached the creation of impact. In most of the show, they decided to either create effect via a roll off/ripple, or a high toss. Couple that with the disjointed staging, and moments that could push the overall show design to a higher level come off as "flat", and it affects the entire corps performance.

• Like 2

As much as I love their show musically this year, the same thing that held them back last year seems to be holding them back again (at least in the area of GE): the staging of the guard.

It was a problem last season, and it is worse this year. Their staging is disjointed, and they far too often go from form to form via scatter drill that has no rhyme or reason. It's distracting, and it takes away from moments that could have quite an impact. The other problem is the lack of variety in how the guard designers approached the creation of impact. In most of the show, they decided to either create effect via a roll off/ripple, or a high toss. Couple that with the disjointed staging, and moments that could push the overall show design to a higher level come off as "flat", and it affects the entire corps performance.

To me it all comes from a poorly conceived show concept. When you begin with a concept that is so fundamentally problematic, everything you do doesn't seem right, even if you are doing it at an elite level.

It was a thrill for me to see Cadets in Nashville. The activity wouldn't be what it is without them, and frankly might not even be in existence at all. They are doing the best that can be done, under the circumstances, and now it's time for the kids to have some fun. They have earned it.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4