Cadets 2016

Tobias

I agree the fist fight is a little over the top and unexpected. If you catch the couple interaction during the ballad it does make more sense. In the ballad the male is being tempted to the statue side and she is pulling him toward human side. Those twould have a conflict of their own then. She runs away upset and he is presented the statue robe by the adonis. He then makes the decision human is better and the fight at the end happens.

Edited by George Dixon

Oh come on, it's almost never that. Far more often, it is older people who are being bashed, devalued, and demeaned on DCP.

When does respect for experience start?

I explained that I was on tour and saw the 91 Star finals performance and Cavaliers 92 finals performance live. Saw both those corps probably 15 times live those two seasons. They were not particularly dirty corps. When I explain that the answer should be "thanks for the context, I can accept that as I was not there" , instead we get a dismissive "ok!"

Same with my comment regarding SCV from Tuesday. I was there. With a bunch of extremely experienced musicians. I've been around dci judging way too long to not see the pattern many times that a particular corps will drastically improve and it takes several contests for the judges and scores to catch up.

A great example of this was Crown 2009 and possibly also Crown 2012. Semifinals and finals night they were rapidly improving and the scores never quite caught up.

As far as dirty champions, there are a couple recent examples with visual dirt, Cadets 2011 and Crown 2013.

You simply can't dismiss us as being agest. Or biased. There's a ton of experience and wisdom here among the contributers

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

You obviously were not there. The 92 cavaliers were NOT dirty. It is frankly ridiculous that you also listed Star 91. You need to stop basing things on old YouTube videos and realize a lot of us were around that entire season in person. I was on the 91 and 92 tours all summer. Those were not dirty corps.

Jeez.

• Like 2

When does respect for experience start?

I explained that I was on tour and saw the 91 Star finals performance and Cavaliers 92 finals performance live. Saw both those corps probably 15 times live those two seasons. They were not particularly dirty corps. When I explain that the answer should be "thanks for the context, I can accept that as I was not there" , instead we get a dismissive "ok!"

Same with my comment regarding SCV from Tuesday. I was there. With a bunch of extremely experienced musicians. I've been around dci judging way too long to not see the pattern many times that a particular corps will drastically improve and it takes several contests for the judges and scores to catch up.

A great example of this was Crown 2009 and possibly also Crown 2012. Semifinals and finals night they were rapidly improving and the scores never quite caught up.

As far as dirty champions, their arespective a couple recent examples with visual dirt, Cadets 2011 and Crown 2013.

You simply can't dismiss us as being agest. Or biased. There's a ton of experience and wisdom here among the contributers

Does that mean I have to agree with your assessments? I personally don't think so. I acknowledge you have more experience than I do (not sure why you need an explicit recognition of that but here you go), but I can choose to stick to my opinions. That doesn't mean disrespect.

Btw my "okay" was more of a "agree to disagree," sorry if it came off as anything else.

Does that mean I have to agree with your assessments? I personally don't think so. I acknowledge you have more experience than I do (not sure why you need an explicit recognition of that but here you go), but I can choose to stick to my opinions. That doesn't mean disrespect.

Btw my "okay" was more of a "agree to disagree," sorry if it came off as anything else.

Nope you can certainly believe whatever you wish. Even when what you believe is based on zero first person experience.

• Like 1

Nope you can certainly believe whatever you wish. Even when what you believe is based on zero first person experience.

That's all I ask.

• Like 1

You obviously were not there. The 92 cavaliers were NOT dirty. It is frankly ridiculous that you also listed Star 91. You need to stop basing things on old YouTube videos and realize a lot of us were around that entire season in person. I was on the 91 and 92 tours all summer. Those were not dirty corps.

I was there in 1991 and 1992. I don't remember much of Cavies '92 performance, but I can comment on Star. While I wouldn't say they were dirty, there were definitely visual moments that were not sparkling clean. Hence the 4th and Field Visual and 3rd in Ensemble Visual. 1991 Star is one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time. What the members were doing from a music standpoint, while marching that drill, was simply unmatched then or now. It was nothing short of incredible. I was just floored at '91 finals seeing that performance. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. The fact that they finished 3rd in visual, despite that insane musical book and drill, is a testament to the high level of talent the corps had, and their amazing staff. I do, however, think they should have won GE and Brass outright (despite how absolutely amazing BD's hornline was that year).

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

I agree with George. It is impossible to grasp a performance from video vs being there in person. '91 will go down as one of my favorite championships ever, mainly because of Star. I may be in the minority, but after Star my 2nd favorite show was the Cadets. I just love their '91 show.

• Like 1

As far as dirty champions, there are a couple recent examples with visual dirt, Cadets 2011 and Crown 2013.

In all fairness, I don't think '91 Star was any cleaner than '11 Cadets or '13 Crown. They all three were really crazy visual shows from a demand standpoint. Personally, I would take less sparkling clean for more demand, because to me it is just more thrilling. If you could have seen '91 Star live Cappybara, you would just sit there trying to scrap your jaw off the ground. It was unbelievable.

• Like 4