Cadets 2016

Tobias

Not me. They just played parts of it in 2014, and they turned it into a cheese-fest. Just stop. It's not possible in modern DCI to improve on Garfield 1987. You can only tarnish the memories.

Please move on, to some worthy music we haven't heard before, to visuals and movement that match the best in modern DCI, and to a well-conceived, well-coordinated program that is effective on June 1st.

Amen. Garfield 1987, to me, was a once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece of epic proportions. For it's time it was perhaps THE best show I'd ever seen, even up through 1997 or so. That goes for SCV 1987, too. Through the rest of the 80s and all through the 90s those 2 shows were my GOLD standards. Only star 1991, 93, and BD 94 were as good or close. They had design, effect, staging, great music, and excellent performance. No need to go back to older shows that were perfect for their day.

What drum corps ought to do more often is go back and fix the shows you screwed up. :). Not that Garfield's 1986 show was a screw-up, but that boxer show (On The Waterfront) with all Bernstein music would be a treat to see and hear again with modern staging, props, and arranging. How about that, Cadets? Please!

Edited by jwillis35

black & gold?

I'm usually for the "always go forward" but after the past 4 years I could use a little "tried and true"

I would be happy with black and cream as long as the pants are cream. After these past two seasons I've realized that's what always set them apart for me. I'd actually prefer the stripe too but know that's probably asking for too much.

With all the digital printing being done for uniforms now perhaps they can have a maroon and cream base and add something that changes (like the Cavies uni this year.).

As much as I liked 1987 I do agree that Copland has been beat to death on the field. Now Bernstein however has had somewhat of a hiatus. Chichister Psalms is one I've wished for a long time they would do. You could match that music with its spirit, percussion and beautiful ballad to just about any theme or motif.

But we digress. Go Cadets! Get a solid 4th and scare the bejesus out of the 3rd place corps.

If I can be blunt without fear of hurting feelings, I generally don't like the Bocook re-writing of Cadets and SCV standards, particularly those made famous by Prime, Klesch, or the Vanguard team over the decades.

Somehow the oomph and verve gets lost to all the technicalities demanded by the third valve and today's preferences. Whether it be Rocky Point, App. Spring, Procession of the Nobles, Dance of the Tumblers, it never seems to me as great GE wise as the original. The My Favorite Things show disappointed me in the same way as 2012.

I do like when he takes previously unknown or works not done previously by Cadets and makes them his/their own. His writing of the Mackey works is a positive example of his talents.

Perhaps because I am an old codger I get set in my likes and memories. Whether it's the first kiss or the first time one has tasted a great wine, it is never exactly the same experience after in imitation.. To each their own I guess.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Yeah... I'd like to see a modern interpretation of Rocky Point. Along with a narrative that tracks the glory of the amusement park, its violent demise, and ultimate resurrection as a tranquil wooded park by the sea (true story, btw). There's nothing creepier than an abandoned amusement park - it's like evil clowns! But in my heart I know it's not the right thing to move the group forward and continue to be competitively relevant.

• Like 2

Yeah... I'd like to see a modern interpretation of Rocky Point. Along with a narrative that tracks the glory of the amusement park, its violent demise, and ultimate resurrection as a tranquil wooded park by the sea (true story, btw). There's nothing creepier than an abandoned amusement park - it's like evil clowns! But in my heart I know it's not the right thing to move the group forward and continue to be competitively relevant.

Actually that's kind of a cool theme. I might have to steal it for a winter program....lol

Amen. Garfield 1987, to me, was a once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece of epic proportions. For it's time it was perhaps THE best show I'd ever seen, even up through 1997 or so. That goes for SCV 1987, too. Through the rest of the 80s and all through the 90s those 2 shows were my GOLD standards. Only star 1991, 93, and BD 94 were as good or close. They had design, effect, staging, great music, and excellent performance. No need to go back to older shows that were perfect for their day.

What drum corps ought to do more often is go back and fix the shows you screwed up. :). Not that Garfield's 1986 show was a screw-up, but that boxer show (On The Waterfront) with all Bernstein music would be a treat to see and hear again with modern staging, props, and arranging. How about that, Cadets? Please!

Like that idea!

If I can be blunt without fear of hurting feelings, I generally don't like the Bocook re-writing of Cadets and SCV standards, particularly those made famous by Prime, Klesch, or the Vanguard team over the decades.

Somehow the oomph and verve gets lost to all the technicalities demanded by the third valve and today's preferences. Whether it be Rocky Point, App. Spring, Procession of the Nobles, Dance of the Tumblers, it never seems to me as great GE wise as the original. The My Favorite Things show disappointed me in the same way as 2012.

I do like when he takes previously unknown or works not done previously by Cadets and makes them his/their own. His writing of the Mackey works is a positive example of his talents.

Perhaps because I am an old codger I get set in my likes and memories. Whether it's the first kiss or the first time one has tasted a great wine, it is never exactly the same experience after in imitation.. To each their own I guess.

Agree as well

I would be happy with black and cream as long as the pants are cream. After these past two seasons I've realized that's what always set them apart for me. I'd actually prefer the stripe too but know that's probably asking for too much.

With all the digital printing being done for uniforms now perhaps they can have a maroon and cream base and add something that changes (like the Cavies uni this year.).

As much as I liked 1987 I do agree that Copland has been beat to death on the field. Now Bernstein however has had somewhat of a hiatus. Chichister Psalms is one I've wished for a long time they would do. You could match that music with its spirit, percussion and beautiful ballad to just about any theme or motif.

But we digress. Go Cadets! Get a solid 4th and scare the bejesus out of the 3rd place corps.

I like it!

• Like 1