Cadets 2016

Tobias

This show is extraordinary because it's the first time, if memory serves, that a drum corps has completely and totally reworked the narrative of a show, with brand new drill sets and brand new choreography, over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, each week. The Cadets have presented nearly an entirely different show each week during this entire season!

The show's focus is one hundred percent different. We have been watching a live storyboarding process.

On the one hand, that's an unbelievable technical feat for a corps to learn new drill and choreography every week, sometimes 50 percent new, and still, the corps has garnered huge technical numbers, with eye-popping precision.

On the other hand, what in living hell is going on with this design team? What in God's name has been going on behind the scenes to garner a continual change in focus, change in the narrative, and shift in theme, continually over the period of three months? There is no way that a judging panel can look positively on a corps completely shifting its focus, thematically and visually multiple, multiple times monthly without sensing some weakness in vision. It's almost as if the design team could not decide on the staging, or the meaning they were trying to convey. When you change your set pieces with such frequency, you're telling the judges that none of the set pieces you've invested in so far took that much time to perfect. You're revealing that your drill sets, and visual set pieces are a dime a dozen, being cranked out of a doughnut machine, with no personal investment, and no stakes, and an uncanny ability to produce near perfection with some drill moves that are only hours old! That indicates that their talent level is surpassing the difficulty level, which is already shockingly high.

Look at this enormous number of changes that this corps has taken on, perfected, and then discarded, as if they were in a Hana Barbara animation storyboard facility in the 1950's:

--Stoned?

--Statues Awakening?

--Now just "Awakening?"

--What happened to the platform?

--What happened to being animal like?

--What happened to being child-like?

--What happened to the statues coming alive for the first time?

--What happened to the capes? How did the show's focus change without them? Were they a critical component, or just an afterthought?

--Who does the new male dance soloist represent? Wasn't his part bigger two weeks ago?

--What do the full length smocks represent? Sophistication and advancement? If they're human, why do they choose a marble like pattern for their outer-wear?

--What do the new fabric extensions tied to the feet represent or evoke?

This is only a partial list.

I fully believe that this corps could produce an entirely new drum corps show each week for the entire season. This opens up possibilities for the advancement of the art form to include weekly episodics, or weekly chapters in a saga. Cadets could perform all the major works for a single composer in one season. Or they could focus on one impossibly hard drill, where all the guard members stand on each other's shoulders and march 160 bpm, and where the horn players do backflips while playing.

Not sure I agree. An evolving outcome throughout the season can certainly keep members and judges engaged. Honestly, for a judge viewing each group maybe 4-6 times throughout the summer, maybe an evolving show is the new direction of DCI programming. Of course, the talent of membership must be stellar to digest and clean an ever changing show.

Hop was just live on FB

Corps looking much much much cleaner!!

Heck yeah! They did look a lot cleaner from the floor. I hope that it shows and is recognized throughout the next few days. Keep pushing Cadets!

Not sure I agree. An evolving outcome throughout the season can certainly keep members and judges engaged. Honestly, for a judge viewing each group maybe 4-6 times throughout the summer, maybe an evolving show is the new direction of DCI programming. Of course, the talent of membership must be stellar to digest and clean an ever changing show.

I was actually thinking about this this morning.

Has anyone ever produced a show that had multiple endings, and you didn't know which one you would get? Sort of like Clue? That would be an incredible concept that could have an as yet unseen ending at Finals. Pretty freaking cool if you had the right concept!

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about this this morning.

Has anyone ever produced a show that had multiple endings, and you didn't know which one you would get? Sort of like Clue? That would be an incredible concept that could have an as yet unseen ending at Finals. Pretty freaking cool if you had the right concept!

Cadets originally talked about letting the angels win some and the demons win some, but the angels proved too popular.

Oh Poppycock

It's a first tier corps with a second tier visual design, first tier music and first tier talent.

100% first tier corps, first music and first tier talent. Some of the BEST music on the field this year. Maybe 2nd tier visual. You can win them all every year. Believe it or not, there will come a time when even BD slides. I would have called you a fool before the 2012 season if you told me Cavies were going to come in 8th. It happens to the best - sooner or later.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

i know that i'm in the extreme minority, but i think this is a good building year for the corps. they used more choreography/body movement than ever before.

IF they have a unified design staff next who commit to using more choreography/body movement like they started using this year, then i like their chances of running with it, and breaking new ground.

that's a big if, i know.

Saw some more hush hush video of cadets

Looking much cleaner

Guqrd starting to really click and perform!!

The drums sound so good

Ending is tweaked a bit more!

Hope they have a stellar run tonight!

• Like 2

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..looking through Georges suitcases for the hush hush videos. :devil:

Wondering if I can get my butt to Lucas in time to buy a ticket and see the Cadets tonight. Flight lands at 7:45pm. Definitely going to give it a try!