Cadets 2016

Tobias

One tuba spot and one baritone spot now open at Cadets. Contact john molloy at Yea.

Seems as they've had about 8 drop out after being selected during auditions. Luckily vets usually jump into these spots.

Universities changing when required (or other courses) are offered, QPIs and GPAs not being where one would hope, parental unemployment and health crises, inability to generate sponsorships to cover transportation costs and tour fees by set deadlines, and failure to remain proficient and current with Smartmusic assignments between camps are all some of the reasons why awarded spots are suddenly vacant. Unusual internship opportunities and injuries during Spring Training (from lack of proper physical readiness, etc.) plus lower than anticipated course grades usually are why spots open just previous to tour. For the Cadets, the late change announcements by colleges in rotation of engineering courses and nursing and engineering required field work is why a number of tried and true suddenly aren't marching. While some may see the opportunity of the few seasons before aging out as a lifetime experience not to be missed, others must weigh this against the equally heavy financial investment for education, the multiple facets music people must have to gain employment in scholastic education, and the obligations and moral duties for the family's best good.

One of the most amazing behind the scenes stories of the '83 Cadets were the 8 or so deaths of parents, siblings, or grandparents living with the family which occurring that season, yet these folks returned to Garfield's tour which ended with the Miami victory.

They fill the spots so fast but just curious to why people drop out after going through that audition process. I thought young would plan better.

They fill the spots so fast but just curious to why people drop out after going through that audition process. I thought young would plan better.

checks bounce and/or summer school or summer job dashes the dream

Cadets seem to use the opportunity to try to fill the lone spot with an even stronger individual. If you think about it they are now recruiting for 1 person (vs. 72)

As far as "young planning better" - I have little respect for today's young to "plan well" - they want FREE this and that, not hard work or delayed gratification. JMO

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

checks bounce and/or summer school or summer job dashes the dream

Cadets seem to use the opportunity to try to fill the lone spot with an even stronger individual. If you think about it they are now recruiting for 1 person (vs. 72)

As far as "young planning better" - I have little respect for today's young to "plan well" - they want FREE this and that, not hard work or delayed gratification. JMO

I always find it interesting when one generation insults another as if baby boomers were the absolute perfect generation.

Anyway, I almost dropped out of Cadets in 1999 because my high school graduation date was not until the 28th of June. Fortunately, they compromised with me and i attended spring training on the weekends and learned as much as I can. Sh&t happens. Things aren't as perfect as they appear in November.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

I am thankful for so much of what younger generations offer. We are so different between generations but if we take the time to actually listen to what they say and what they have inherited from us, we just might understand them a lot more.

• Like 1

I always find it interesting when one generation insults another as if baby boomers were the absolute perfect generation.

Anyway, I almost dropped out of Cadets in 1999 because my high school graduation date was not until the 28th of June. Fortunately, they compromised with me and i attended spring training on the weekends and learned as much as I can. Sh&t happens. Things aren't as perfect as they appear in November.

I'm not a baby boomer.

Your experience was similar to most and what I posted. It's unfortunate so many obstacles interfere with drum corps participation. That's why a variety of corps are needed with difference budget and time obligations. Unfortunately the boomers running dci destroyed the regional championships and local, part time corps as worthless.

I am thankful for so much of what younger generations offer. We are so different between generations but if we take the time to actually listen to what they say and what they have inherited from us, we just might understand them a lot more.

Thanks for the lecture. I employee hundreds of young adults. Scratch that, thousands. Believe me I'm closely attuned to their priorities and work ethic.

Drum corps kids are certainly an exception these days

• Like 3