Cadets 2016

Tobias

The bass #2 timing is so strong. I'm a big bass #2 guy. Bass #1 is key, but bass #2 timing is EVERYTHING.

agree, tho anymore it's top to bottom

...the musicality at 2:32...Watch them pass the rhythm up and down the snare line, "lifting" the strokes out of the drum...

(and anybody who know flams before that, OMG, that progressive flams left to right are UN-GODLY!..

And I am such a brass geek that, as I look for what you point out, I miss it the first two times getting caught up in the triplet ascending mello figure that precedes that section!

It's the alternating pattern drum to drum. You'll see some are not hitting the head while others in the line are hitting the head. The stroke is heard in the stands (and by the field judge) but the visual is misleading - only the field judge knows what's happening...

The point is that you can't tell the difference. Even with all those "ghosted" strokes the musicality never falters - the drum parts make perfect sense re: the horn book. It's flash in the most intimate way.

And the timing...to the execution judge it's nearly impossible to hear the difference but you can SEE the ghosted strokes even as you're hearing the perfect phrasing of the musicality.

Honest to God, it's one of the most difficult things to do well, but this line does it like it's no big deal. A clear sign of amazing maturity, clarity, and musicality of the line.

If Jeff Prosperie is judging this year, I guarantee that he'll spot what's going on and award the much-deserved points to execution scores.

Incredible talent in this line...

Thanks for the explanation. Being more of a brass guy, I guess I need some sort of comparison to fully understand it.

I can wrap my head around it being difficult and needing crazy timing and whatnot, but if it's not affecting the musicality at all and basically just going to be noticed by a field judge, it just seems like difficulty for difficulty's sake. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's one of the things I like about the Cadets is that sometimes they just do crazy #### just to show that they can.

But honestly... unless you pointed it out on that video where the camera is fixed on them, I never would've seen it. And on the move in a football stadium, I sure as hell wouldn't have noticed.

Certainly not trying to be a stubborn ### about this. I honestly dig your posts and have certainly gained more appreciation of the battery from them. I just don't get the "why". (And maybe there doesn't need to be one.)

Thanks for the explanation. Being more of a brass guy, I guess I need some sort of comparison to fully understand it.

I can wrap my head around it being difficult and needing crazy timing and whatnot, but if it's not affecting the musicality at all and basically just going to be noticed by a field judge, it just seems like difficulty for difficulty's sake. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's one of the things I like about the Cadets is that sometimes they just do crazy #### just to show that they can.

But honestly... unless you pointed it out on that video where the camera is fixed on them, I never would've seen it. And on the move in a football stadium, I sure as hell wouldn't have noticed.

Certainly not trying to be a stubborn ### about this. I honestly dig your posts and have certainly gained more appreciation of the battery from them. I just don't get the "why". (And maybe there doesn't need to be one.)

Yes, I wouldn't do something like that for guard where it don't be noticed up top but percussion is so competitive. If it can put s smile on the field percussion judge's face and help with a better score, then yes yes yes.
  • Like 1

I never had the privilege of auditioning or marching there. I was on staff though for many, many years.

Cadets will be better in Guard this season as Rosetta Stone has been brought in their Caption Head, and she's reportedly very good. ( I think thats the name I heard anyway... Stone something or other.., anyway... its all so confusing to me. )

Edited by BRASSO

Cadets will be better in Guard this season as Rosetta Stone has been brought in their Caption Head, and she's reportedly very good. ( I think thats the name I heard anyway... Stone something or other.., anyway... its all so confusing to me. )

And the guard will be required to speak Latin. Don't all statues?
  • Like 1

12322597_10154282645921349_2721286697896

God I love ST. Love the drill. The staging, movement, artistic interpretation is exquisite.
  • Like 1