Cadets 2016

Tobias

In deference to my sponsorees who have evidently been given some heat from the powers to be when I publicly post some negative criticisms on this site, I'm not going to mention my likes or dislikes relative to Cadets 2016 show. Totally unfair to pressure the MMs thus, and I will take the higher road. Those who wish to PM at some points may get a response or not depending on who you are.

However, it has been the philosophy of the same administration for about a decade that the public, judges, and MMs get tired/bored as the season progresses. To entice the audience more, to challenge the MMs and to engage the judges, some parts of the show are deliberately withheld until later in the season and find their way onto the field or ear typically after San Antonio, after Atlanta, or going into the Allentown-Indy week. Some parts on the show get a staff rating of excellent, be careful, or headed for re-write even before the first contest and are adjusted as judges' comments later influence. Tag endings, final finale, and transitions are usually the most nominated for these categories. 2016 progression doesn't seem to vary from this form to date.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

In deference to my sponsorees who have evidently been given some heat from the powers to be when I publicly post some negative criticisms on this site, I'm not going to mention my likes or dislikes relative to Cadets 2016 show. Totally unfair to pressure the MMs thus, and I will take the higher road. Those who wish to PM at some points may get a response or not depending on who you are.

However, it has been the philosophy of the same administration for about a decade that the public, judges, and MMs get tired/bored as the season progresses. To entice the audience more, to challenge the MMs and to engage the judges, some parts of the show are deliberately withheld until later in the season and find their way onto the field or ear typically after San Antonio, after Atlanta, or going into the Allentown-Indy week. Some parts on the show get a staff rating of excellent, be careful, or headed for re-write even before the first contest and are adjusted as judges' comments later influence. Tag endings, final finale, and transitions are usually the most nominated for these categories. 2016 progression doesn't seem to vary from this form to date.

Don't let anyone censor you, xandandl. Speak your mind and don't pay any attention to DCP users who you probably don't even know.

Atleast, that's the philosophy I go by on here. It's drawn some hate, but I don't let it bother me.

Not sure this differs MUCH from most of the top corps. The understanding that judges will view shows over and over leads most staffs to allow for layering and holding back some great moments for the tail end of season. Also keeps MMs motivated.

Not sure this differs MUCH from most of the top corps. The understanding that judges will view shows over and over leads most staffs to allow for layering and holding back some great moments for the tail end of season. Also keeps MMs motivated.

...but pretty much screws the "...on any given day..." notion of judging the sheets, doesn't it? Judges viewing shows over and over again makes it impossible to be surprised by an outstandingly good or bad show, IMO.

Placeholder tags and rewrites have been a part of the activity since the beginning. Kids get bored - it doesn't matter what one does.

Life is boring. Part of drum corps is learning to put up with boring to be able to grasp the ring when you pass it.

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi 's concept of "flow" states, where performers (including athletes, etc) are complete focused on and absorbed on a task/performance, is highly applicable to drum corps. Some music scholars' interpretations/applications of the concept suggest that flow states are best accessed when the task is in a "sweet spot" where challenge and achievement are balanced; difficult enough to keep performers engaged, alert and on their game, but not so difficult to be unachievable. Of course, even if corps directors and knowledgeable fans like us aren't familiar with the concept, they intuitively know this. I remember good shows (usually when things are FINALLY gelling in the last two weeks) which seemed to just fly by; Gino said his last show at BD in 1984, he didn't remember it at all (not that it isn't an amazing feeling during and afterward). That's why corps keep adding new challenges throughout the season; by the time you can competently perform the base version of the show, the staff are already layering in more responsibilities (sometimes "simultaneous responsibilites") to keep the performers in the sweet spot. Cadets, as many have pointed out, sometimes nail this sweet spot (80s, 1998, 2000, OMG 2005), but sometimes the members aren't able to achieve the balance because the material is so difficult (at the end of the season show in 2013, it seemed like the members were still thinking through that difficult music and drill rather than letting muscle memory and flow take over.

TL;DR: Every corps changes and layers in things to keep the performers in the sweet spot. AKA peaking at the right time. And also edits to enhance pacing and theme

Edited by FTNK

...but pretty much screws the "...on any given day..." notion of judging the sheets, doesn't it? Judges viewing shows over and over again makes it impossible to be surprised by an outstandingly good or bad show, IMO.

Not sure judges need to be "surprised" but I think they do watch a show evolve over the season and "appreciate" a new twist or embellishment in the theme along with the improved performance level...

Such a terrific post and so true. Cadets have had years that this balance has been achieved. Other years just difficulty without purpose or 2013 where it never full came to life. 2005 was a perfect balance

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi 's concept of "flow" states, where performers (including athletes, etc) are complete focused on and absorbed on a task/performance, is highly applicable to drum corps. Some music scholars' interpretations/applications of the concept suggest that flow states are best accessed when the task is in a "sweet spot" where challenge and achievement are balanced; difficult enough to keep performers engaged, alert and on their game, but not so difficult to be unachievable. Of course, even if corps directors and knowledgeable fans like us aren't familiar with the concept, they intuitively know this. I remember good shows (usually when things are FINALLY gelling in the last two weeks) which seemed to just fly by; Gino said his last show at BD in 1984, he didn't remember it at all (not that it isn't an amazing feeling during and afterward). That's why corps keep adding new challenges throughout the season; by the time you can competently perform the base version of the show, the staff are already layering in more responsibilities (sometimes "simultaneous responsibilites") to keep the performers in the sweet spot. Cadets, as many have pointed out, sometimes nail this sweet spot (80s, 1998, 2000, OMG 2005), but sometimes the members aren't able to achieve the balance because the material is so difficult (at the end of the season show in 2013, it seemed like the members were still thinking through that difficult music and drill rather than letting muscle memory and flow take over.

TL;DR: Every corps changes and layers in things to keep the performers in the sweet spot. AKA peaking at the right time. And also edits to enhance pacing and theme

Such a terrific post and so true. Cadets have had years that this balance has been achieved. Other years just difficulty without purpose or 2013 where it never full came to life. 2005 was a perfect balance

2013 was amazing. One of the best musical books of this decade in my opinion (GE music finals judge agrees with me). Their brass was super underrated too.