Cadets 2016

Tobias

Oh and the show is very cool

agreed - very very cool - should be very popular on tour this year and grow well - of course, time will tell

just the ballad alone is OMG - and I LOVE the closer; got to see the very end of the show on a donor video today, very strong

the thing the critics don't "get" is that the guard gets its work with its drill - and mistakes are VERY visible

plus a few BD "fans" and Crown "fans" were among those commenting - and lord knows those guards wake up clean on June 1

I love an early season hot mess of a guard.

It (hopefully) shows potential.

• Like 2

I love an early season hot mess of a guard.

It (hopefully) shows potential.

Well that's a good way to look at it!
  • Like 1

I remember in high school they made half of the piccolo section learn to do some guard work (we had an enormous band but very small guard) for a bit of the show in order to get a greater effect at one of our impact moments. Needless to say, it was a total mess and we still didn't have it down cleanly by the time the season was over. The biggest challenge was coordinating your leg movements and marching with all the spins. After that experience, I have the utmost respect for colorguards and hate it when they get criticized for not being squeaky clean midway through the season. Cleaning that stuff takes arguably more time than the hornline because it's so much more exposed and each mistake is much more obvious.

• Like 3

I remember in high school they made half of the piccolo section learn to do some guard work (we had an enormous band but very small guard) for a bit of the show in order to get a greater effect at one of our impact moments. Needless to say, it was a total mess and we still didn't have it down cleanly by the time the season was over. The biggest challenge was coordinating your leg movements and marching with all the spins. After that experience, I have the utmost respect for colorguards and hate it when they get criticized for not being squeaky clean midway through the season. Cleaning that stuff takes arguably more time than the hornline because it's so much more exposed and each mistake is much more obvious.

You're correct. Learning drill while dancing, lunging turning and then throw in equipment work! And it's all learned in ST. Definitely takes a few weeks into the season before they settle in BUT since most of them in Cadets did WGI winter guard, they'll settle in fast. Just finished show last night so a week to clean up a little bit before DCI Event and and 8 days before first show, Edited by Tobias

agree with the 2000 comment - I was thinking early 1997 show which I saw around this time in Gettysburgh at a preview night - might have been a week later

some of the best shows look the "worse" early on - this year's program has so much "energy" and potential - should make for an exciting season

You picked my all-time favorite Cadet show! (Well, except maybe one of the shows I marched in :tounge2: )