Cadets 2016

Tobias

Reading a lot of these posts has me saying "be careful what you wish for." So many people wanted a change in their direction. They've changed direction and look what happens. So many people were excited about this show and here it is June 24th, the first day after the first show and it seems people are questioning a lot of the choices. Ahh well.

Here's to the rest of the season. Good Luck Cadets.

I can't speak for everyone, but my questioning stems from the lack of focus the show has right now. The double-edge of being so open throughout the off-season is that there's more information to question and scrutinize.

There's no question that their show lacks clarity right now.... and that's okay!! As a matter of fact, it could be a good thing from a judging standpoint as the feedback they get early in the season can help guide the design team to make smarter decisions on how to bring the product into focus without having to do too much rewriting.

As a fan, I don't like seeing them closer to Cavies than to Crown, but I still feel this show has a great amount of potential. Their biggest changes this year (drill and color guard design) are solid and IMO, are helping, not hurting, the overall product. Brass and percussion will clean up as the show becomes more familiar.

But I am gonna' continue to question things that don't make sense to me. :)

• Like 2

I can't speak for everyone, but my questioning stems from the lack of focus the show has right now. The double-edge of being so open throughout the off-season is that there's more information to question and scrutinize.

There's no question that their show lacks clarity right now.... and that's okay!! As a matter of fact, it could be a good thing from a judging standpoint as the feedback they get early in the season can help guide the design team to make smarter decisions on how to bring the product into focus without having to do too much rewriting.

As a fan, I don't like seeing them closer to Cavies than to Crown, but I still feel this show has a great amount of potential. Their biggest changes this year (drill and color guard design) are solid and IMO, are helping, not hurting, the overall product. Brass and percussion will clean up as the show becomes more familiar.

Funny think is that 10 years ago, being closer to Cavies than Crown was a good thing

• Like 2

Funny think is that 10 years ago, being closer to Cavies than Crown was a good thing

That was then

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense to me. I watched a recording of Bluecoats' show this morning before I went to work, and I give them a lot of credit for what they're doing. But it is essentially a WGI show. I don't want my comment to sound negative, but that's really what I see in it. If that show wins, I'll be just as excited for them as I was when Crown won their first ring, but there will be no line between what is drum corps and what is WGI (in my opinion, of course).

• Like 1

Historically they have been. 2006, 2013, 2014, 2015,

The stage is a stage and the podiums will be covered

Cadet's brass and percussion uniforms are *dark* black with the marble sash. And the hats are black with the white plume. Combine that with a black wedding cake and Pines of Rome and the other selections of music, it just doesn't (to me) fit together.

Something is off on the entire "Feng Shui" of this entire show. Yes I know it's only June.

• Like 1

So...

Gap between Cadets and Crown tomorrow night? Any guess on the over or under? I'd also include Bluecoats but we've seen nothing...

Any predictions?

Cavies was the real question..

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense to me. I watched a recording of Bluecoats' show this morning before I went to work, and I give them a lot of credit for what they're doing. But it is essentially a WGI show. I don't want my comment to sound negative, but that's really what I see in it. If that show wins, I'll be just as excited for them as I was when Crown won their first ring, but there will be no line between what is drum corps and what is WGI (in my opinion, of course).

BD has been pushing the activity that direction for years.

Bluecoats just called their bluff and then some. In regards to the WGI/DCI line, I guess it depends how you define drum corps. IMO, the only dramatic thing that Bloo's doing different this year is swapping a traditional uniform for a specific "costume".

They're still marching. They're still playing. They're still spinning.

(And doing them pretty well for June, I might add.)

I agree with you the style is fresh and honestly this year is even more WGI than last, if Cadets came out with another traditional Cadet show, not sure they'd even have a chance. I think musical book is strong and balanced very well. Visual has good concepts but need to develop and through judge critiques they will. My biggest concern is the dirt. Does this new team have the ability to clean and are just starting now or are they not up to it. Thinking the former as GH said they were working on development and not going back to clean (new approach). We will see.
  • Like 1