Cadets 2016

Tobias

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense to me. I watched a recording of Bluecoats' show this morning before I went to work, and I give them a lot of credit for what they're doing. But it is essentially a WGI show. I don't want my comment to sound negative, but that's really what I see in it. If that show wins, I'll be just as excited for them as I was when Crown won their first ring, but there will be no line between what is drum corps and what is WGI (in my opinion, of course).

I agree with you on this. My other thought after watching last night was that if you took Crown's guard (who is amazing btw) out of the show, or even toned them down, what visually do you remember about the corps? I truly enjoyed crown but after watching them, I left thinking "man that was like a guard show with a corp addition". Don't get me wrong, they were great but man is the bulk of the effect created from the guard alone. And the corps spends the majority of the time in the front half of the field. I'm sure that as the summer goes on that will change but I feel Crown was like a WGI show as well. Maybe it's a sign of the times.........

• Like 3

If you remember, 1987's show was a bit of a mess and required quite a few rewrites before it became a champion.

2016 has potential. Like 2011, the statues (characters) need to be sold to the audience, so we can suspend disbelief. I would like to see LOTS more color in the visual palette when the statues "awaken." Still love the music especially the Mackey.

Honestly, there's a lot of deserved positive talk about the Bluecoats. It could be their year to finally break through.

My advice is to be patient. This transition to a new style may take more than one season to figure out. It may be painful at times, but if the Cadets want to remain relevant and, most importantly, viable in the drum corps community then creative allowances will have to be made. If I had my way, I would want to see running and gunning every year, but that's not the direction DCI is taking. We're in a SGI (Summer Guard International) mindset. Time to hold our nose and take our medicine.

• Like 1

Cadets really need to open up a strong 2 or more point gap on the cavaliers tonight or thats the judges sending a strong message about Cadets 2016 show. Will be interesting to see how this goes. Hopefully bass 1 is in, guard has been cleaning and brass gets their feet a little more under them. Also balance improved with amplification so the solo aren't jarring and the horrible electronic noise before the final big push in the closer is removed.

• Like 1

Cadets really need to open up a strong 2 or more point gap on the cavaliers tonight or thats the judges sending a strong message about Cadets 2016 show. Will be interesting to see how this goes. Hopefully bass 1 is in, guard has been cleaning and brass gets their feet a little more under them. Also balance improved with amplification so the solo aren't jarring and the horrible electronic noise before the final big push in the closer is removed.

I'm not so sure of that. Let's give them more than 48 hours to clean, adjust, and focus the show before committing to any strong messages. Music captions will be bolstered as they clean and GE will rise as they refine and add to the show. Not all of that will have happened between Thursday and tonight.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure of that. Let's give them more than 48 hours to clean, adjust, and focus the show before committing to any strong messages. Music captions will be bolstered as they clean and GE will rise as they refine and add to the show. Not all of that will have happened between Thursday and tonight.

Oh not giving up. I'm just making the point that this is the second read from another set of judges. A similar read to the other night (that Cadets are closer to Cavaliers than the top bunch) sends a clear message on "the show" - then wholesale changes, vs. cleaning etc, will be necessary

I'm mostly talking about GE and the overall music scores which include rep -- we need to see a jump. Or there's trouble. JMO

Oh not giving up. I'm just making the point that this is the second read from another set of judges. A similar read to the other night (that Cadets are closer to Cavaliers than the top bunch) sends a clear message on "the show" - then wholesale changes, vs. cleaning etc, will be necessary

I'm mostly talking about GE and the overall music scores which include rep -- we need to see a jump. Or there's trouble. JMO

Maybe, maybe not.

I think Cavies have a really solid vehicle this year. Definitely their strongest since Gaines left. We've gotten used to seeing them in the bottom half of the placements in Indy over the past few years, but that doesn't mean they'll be staying there this year.

• Like 2

GE was close to Crown. The music and visual was not. Lots of the issue is dirt. Some rewrites but for them that's not a big deal. They do it all the time,

Also, they listen to tapes and know what needs to be done.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

I guess I just disagree. Need to see Cadets at least up on Cavaliers 1.5 points or more tonight or the show is an issue and needs major rewrites

Cadets can't settle for second tier and that 2+ point gap the other night alludes to that as the reality

I guess I just disagree. Need to see Cadets at least up on Cavaliers 1.5 points or more tonight or the show is an issue and needs major rewrites

Cadets can't settle for second tier and that 2+ point gap the other night alludes to that as the reality

I'm just saying maybe give them a week or two to iron things out before prepping the coffin with nails. :)

• Like 1

I hate when I write out a post of some length, and then accidentally lose all the text ... so this is probably an abbreviated version:

Of all the shows I've yet heard, I think the Cadet's show is the most enjoyable overall form a musical perspective. And for me, that is the most important thing.

I know that the Cadets still have much planned on the visual side, so I look forward to seeing that unfold. I had started to make one visual comment about something I didn't think worked as well, but really - they don't need my suggestions.

• Like 1