Cadets 2016

Tobias

Don't get into it George. Her post had a sarcastic overtone. More importantly, I agree with your talking points. I'll be there tonight up top. I do think the intial and final position of guard around non human podium can be done more effectively. They should be erect (guard not Adonis although I'm open for discussion there) in a statuesque poses. Do something with the hair flying around. We need 1-2 statues that remain human at end of show perhaps encircled by brass. (The under message of the show is the statues represent us and how we get stuck in our comfort zones, trapped by our insecurities. We try to break out, this demonstrated in the show when statues start off as infants crawling in first set, move into a playful mode and they dig being human and then until stark retreat back to their comfort zone, statues).

I guess my excitement is there's so much you can do with the show (vs making Xs all over the field).

I see what you did there

:tounge2:

Go cadets!

I don't owe you or anyone else an explanation of my thoughts.

It is common knowledge how poorly many many volunteers and some paid folks have been treated while on tour over the years.

Again, it is all about how you treat people that you come into contact with daily.

Aside from that ( can't really comment how how people might be treated over the years in Cadetsland). Cadets show theme is just dreary and the wedding cake like prop is just a stationary huge prop that just sort of sits there. The Visual design for 2016 is simply not up to Cadets high standards here, and just about everyone that is not a Cadets homer knows it too. The Cadets still have awsome MM talent ( although aside from percussion, it looks a bit thinner in the brass, guard to me ). Cadets all black unis have little to no color contrast, imo... and as result, the darkish costumes we see on the Guard give off an ethos that is dark & foreboding. The closer thematically seems rather depressing to me, as statues that come to life, decide in the end to return to give up a heart and pulse and become stone statues again. Macabre endings like this can work, but this one isn't as the music still seems more upbeat to me than a show with such a dark message would require. Its early, and no doubt they'll be more rewrites here as the Cadets get more judge feedback. Perhaps in the end, GH and staff will have the stone statues decide they like staying human beings afterall, as their theme closer messaging ( wouldn't surprise me that'll be the theme rewrite message by August ) The seasons now are shorter than usual, so it looks like the Cadets will have to essentially ride this showhorse to the finish line. its not a medal show, imo.... but it still brings entertainment, and bottom line, thats what still makes the 2016 Cadets show still an intriguing and compelling one, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Thanks for your updates and critique George. I won't get to see the Cadets until the Houston show in 3 weeks. I expect things to be very different by then.

With a different drill designer, different uniforms, the body movement and the huge emphasis on the color guard, it just doesn't feel like the Cadets watching the tiny videos. I'm hoping I feel differently. You guys know I adore them and root for them every year.

I'm not a fan of all black, and never have been even when Phantom Regiment won with it in the mid 90's. There are so many corps in black that they are all running together for me right now. I'm assuming it's to put them emphasis on the cologuard, which it is definitely doing from what I see. Maybe there will be something added to it?

The guard already seems better than they were at finals last year. I'm no expert on guard, just looks cleaner and sharper.

Having said all that, Go Cadets!

You lost me at statues. Just don't think the seminal show concept translates to a football field. They are beating this show to pieces to try to fix something that I tend to believe just isn't fixable. I really wasn't blown away with TEN, but I would rather watch that show than this one, ten times over, no pun intended. Playing louder and faster, marching faster and quicker, doesn't change the show's GE. Just wish George would cry uncle and cut everything that drags this show down, even if it means the statues/magic mikes go get hot dogs.

I don't mind the statue theme, it will work itself out. Just get rid of that lousy keyboard at the very end in those brass hits and the thing would actually be bada__. As it stands, they've made magic out of a goose egg before, 2001 coming to mind (geez is that 15 years ago!?). This is by no means a goose egg, I'm personally not very interested after the opener at this point.

5:00 ensemble

Thanks. Sorry I was a Dick before to you. Just so much negativity here. It's about the 2016 kids now. The corps is going through huge changes and want them focused on surprising everyone.
  • Like 1

Hard to believe we've only finished one week of the season.

Looking forward to week two starting tonight - hope the thunderstorms hold off.

Edit: I guess technically week 2 started last night.

Edited by Eleran