Cadets 2016

Tobias

we were somewhat disappointed with Bluecoats. Some of our various thoughts were that the show seems some what repetitive both visually and musically.

That stems from the source music selected, which in my view was (a) repetitive and limited in range within each piece separately, and also (b) repetitive across 5 of the 6 pieces selected. Just listen to this cross-cut I made a week or so ago of the source materials. No, I'm not saying the source music did not contain any variation at all, but the main melodic thrusts were primarily just repetitive turns, inverted turns, or similar variations. I think the use of ONE of those pieces (probably Ojos de Brujo) would have been effective, but not all of them.

BTW - I was waiting to see whether Cadets would promote the violinist back into more visually prominent spot, and was glad to see that happen. However (and it may already be in the works), I'd replace her simple stool with something like one of these (or several other alternatives found here, ranging from ~$60-200):

Roman%2BCorinthian%2BCapital%2BArchitectRoma%2BBase%2BPedestal.jpg

That second one weighs only 10 lbs. and supports up to 200 lbs.

Also, it looked like both she and the trumpet soloist were wearing black marching shoes - hope those will change to more neutral tones shoes matching the outfits.

I agree that the guard still is dirty in moments. However, what those kids are being asked to do compared to what the Coats guard is being asked to do both choreographically as well as design wise is far more demanding. Not taking anything away from Coats guard, however, their book doesn't have nearly the meat that the Cadets guard book has nor do the Coats guard perform like the Cadets guard. That is where you will see the difference. The Cadets guard will get cleaner everyday. The Coats will eventually plateau, IMO.[/quote

I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more. Bluecoats written guard book is so much more creative and interesting and musical compared to Cadets right now. Cadets seem to spin for spinning sake and interpret every hit point with a toss. I would imagine that Coats are beating Cadets in guard by some margin right now and will continue to do so. Cadets are getting better but I'm not sure have the book or talent (in the guard) to compete with the other top 4 guards this year.