Cadets 2016

Tobias

I'm getting some serious Cabaret Voltaire vibes from this show

Agreed. Looking forward to it clean. Should be a real powerful product.

I agree that the guard still is dirty in moments. However, what those kids are being asked to do compared to what the Coats guard is being asked to do both choreographically as well as design wise is far more demanding. Not taking anything away from Coats guard, however, their book doesn't have nearly the meat that the Cadets guard book has nor do the Coats guard perform like the Cadets guard. That is where you will see the difference. The Cadets guard will get cleaner everyday. The Coats will eventually plateau, IMO.[/quote

I couldn't disagree with this sentiment more. Bluecoats written guard book is so much more creative and interesting and musical compared to Cadets right now. Cadets seem to spin for spinning sake and interpret every hit point with a toss. I would imagine that Coats are beating Cadets in guard by some margin right now and will continue to do so. Cadets are getting better but I'm not sure have the book or talent (in the guard) to compete with the other top 4 guards this year.

If you think that the Cadets hit every hit point with a toss, I'm curious what you think about Crown's guard? They toss far more than any other guard out there. As a guard person, I realize the challenges the Cadets guard have been given choreographically. They are doing much more intricate choreography than the Bluecoats which is why is the main reason they are dirtier.

If you think that the Cadets hit every hit point with a toss, I'm curious what you think about Crown's guard? They toss far more than any other guard out there. As a guard person, I realize the challenges the Cadets guard have been given choreographically. They are doing much more intricate choreography than the Bluecoats which is why is the main reason they are dirtier.

I agree Crown tosses way too much and they do it extremely well. The reason BD has won guard for the past 8 years and will win again this year is quite simply they have more variety in their writing, are so well staged and of course are super clean. They don't feel the need to keep repeating skills as other do and find differrnt ways to interpret the music.

We will have to agree to disagree on Coats book v Cadets and see how it plays out but whilst I think Cadet's guard are vastly improved over last year, I don't think they will beat Bluecoats guard this year - even when clean (& to get clean they need to improve their technique).

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

I agree Crown tosses way too much and they do it extremely well. The reason BD has won guard for the past 8 years and will win again this year is quite simply they have more variety in their writing, are so well staged and of course are super clean. They don't feel the need to keep repeating skills as other do and find differrnt ways to interpret the music.

We will have to agree to disagree on Coats book v Cadets and see how it plays out but whilst I think Cadet's guard are vastly improved over last year, I don't think they will beat Bluecoats guard this year - even when clean (& to get clean they need to improve their technique).

At least you two are civil and agree to disagree. Cadets guard will be better than last year. If they can stay relatively competitive in the end ( not over 1 point down) and not bleed into GE and VP, I think there'll be deemed successful for this year. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

I really dislike the name change. It's like Crown's show being called "basic revenge spaghetti western" or bluecoats being called "slides"

I thought Crown's show was being changed to "Corpse Ride" and BlueCoats' show was being changed to "Chutes and Ladders".

Same argument as "too many notes". Anyone who's actually watched Crown's guard would recognize the variety and the demand. Variety is hardly a weakness. (unless you count really poorly executed rhythmic gymnastics skills -- yeah they don't do that). And I've never seen a Crownguard performer break at finals and take literally 30 seconds to get back in.

As for why the BD guard has won 8 straight Zingalis -- well I won't comment but there is a reason and it's pretty clear to those who know where to look.

Sorry Cadets fans -- I'll leave this topic for another day. But I could not let the "variety" fallacy go unchallenged.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I really dislike the name change. It's like Crown's show being called "basic revenge spaghetti western" or bluecoats being called "slides"

the name change is ridiculous. Awakening is perfect. Most of the changes they've been making have been smart, but the name change (and the huge synth moment going into the final wedge push) are ridiculous. They are reworking the end music of the show this week so hopefully at least that odd electronic moment that complete interrupts the musical flow (and ruins that biggest moment in the entire production) will vanish

• Like 1

Same argument as "too many notes". Anyone who's actually watched Crown's guard would recognize the variety and the demand. Variety is hardly a weakness. (unless you count really poorly executed rhythmic gymnastics skills -- yeah they don't do that). And I've never seen a Crownguard performer break at finals and take literally 30 seconds to get back in.

As for why the BD guard has won 8 straight Zingalis -- well I won't comment but there is a reason and it's pretty clear to those who know where to look.

Sorry Cadets fans -- I'll leave this topic for another day. But I could not let the "variety" fallacy go unchallenged.

Seems like you're implying BD shouldn't be winning guard- that there is something else in play? Yep they know how to write to the sheets and that's why they win. I would love Crown to win guard (they are definitely a guard persons guard) and their technique is flawless (they should be, they pick the creme of the crop) but sadly I doubt it will happen this year.