Cadets 2016

Tobias

Nah we're good!

Cadets show is melodic enough for my tastes, but falls victim to chop 'n' bop to a much greater degree, specifically in Pines of Rome. Just compare to Star's rendition, even with its own small drum break (1). I miss having each delineated production hold my attention from beginning to end.

Seems to me this is the direction we have been heading in for the last 10 years. The DCI directors change the sheets and what gets rewarded. When you look at the sheer number of tunes BD is playing this year it's easy to see that melody isn't important. Variety and Visual trumps music and has been for several years. I would love a show like 2000 or 2001 again but will likely never see it.

• Like 2

Seems to me this is the direction we have been heading in for the last 10 years. The DCI directors change the sheets and what gets rewarded. When you look at the sheer number of tunes BD is playing this year it's easy to see that melody isn't important. Variety and Visual trumps music and has been for several years. I would love a show like 2000 or 2001 again but will likely never see it.

Ironically this is the most melodic BD show in years

• Like 2

It's different than it used to be, but in many ways it is better. At least in my opinion. You have so many more kids, with so many different interests and skills, coming together to make a show. And fwiw for all of the contributions BD has made, it is the manner in which they have approached guard shows and teaching those skills that is most impactful. And by skills I don't mean twirling and spinning, but dramatic acting and interpretation.

There is a lot of melodic content on the field this summmer. Crown, Cadets, Regiment, BK, SCV, many many others...

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

There is a of melodic content on the field this summmer. Crown, Cadets, Regiment, BK, SCV, many many others...

George, to me, it is the seriousness of the quality of the show, from pre-show to finish, from brass to battery, from flags to weapons to dance, that is evolving in amazing ways. There are shows that won't make finals that would be considered eye-popping and ear-shattering achievements worthy of a medal even 10 years ago. But even more so, you see corps like Academy doing things that are just flat out awesome, followed by Blue Knights doing something so different but equally awesome. Phoenix and Denver? Why not.

It's a great time to love the marching arts.

George, to me, it is the seriousness of the quality of the show, from pre-show to finish, from brass to battery, from flags to weapons to dance, that is evolving in amazing ways. There are shows that won't make finals that would be considered eye-popping and ear-shattering achievements worthy of a medal even 10 years ago. But even more so, you see corps like Academy doing things that are just flat out awesome, followed by Blue Knights doing something so different but equally awesome. Phoenix and Denver? Why not.

It's a great time to love the marching arts.

I completely agree. It doesn't always "work" - but the variety has never been better. Frankly in the 80s and early 90s when every corps was chasing Cadets symphonic literature with crazy drill - most fell way short, and some of the competitions were really boring with one flat attempt after another

The talent and design level now is light years ahead

I was in Allentown Thursday night and every corps was different. Loved it.

I completely agree. It doesn't always "work" - but the variety has never been better. Frankly in the 80s and early 90s when every corps was chasing Cadets symphonic literature with crazy drill - most fell way short, and some of the competitions were really boring with one flat attempt after another

The talent and design level now is light years ahead

I was in Allentown Thursday night and every corps was different. Loved it.

I understand why some lament the good old days of drum corps, but what I see happening now is far more exciting. The future promises some truly amazing evolution. When corps were blindly chasing Cadets, let's face it, it was a lost cause. Now, you have seemingly limitless ways to win the night without trying to beat a corps at their game.

I hope it doesn't lead to wood winds being accepted, but who knows maybe we would be surprised at the outcome.

I understand why some lament the good old days of drum corps, but what I see happening now is far more exciting. The future promises some truly amazing evolution. When corps were blindly chasing Cadets, let's face it, it was a lost cause. Now, you have seemingly limitless ways to win the night without trying to beat a corps at their game.

I hope it doesn't lead to wood winds being accepted, but who knows maybe we would be surprised at the outcome.

woodwinds won't be voted in unless all the voting members start having problems filling their ranks - TRUST ME

right now corps like Crossmen have 400-700 folks trying out... many many full sized corps that won't even make Semi

And I agree - BD is quite different from Coats and Coats are quite different than Crown. Our top 3 corps are each unique. Throw in shows like BK/SCV style and others like Crossmen etc etc and you have a real party

Nah we're good!

Cadets show is melodic enough for my tastes, but falls victim to chop 'n' bop to a much greater degree, specifically in Pines of Rome. Just compare to Star's rendition, even with its own small drum break (1). I miss having each delineated production hold my attention from beginning to end.

What you call "chop n bop" might also be called "using the parts of the music score desired to tell the story we want to tell", as opposed to just playing long sections of pieces as was done by most corps back in the day.

By the way, back in 1971, my corps played a LOT of tunes and pieces of tunes to tell our story...not all that different from today...

Yankee Doodle

Chaconne from the Holst Suite in Eb

A Minuet by the low brass

A Hoedown by the sopranos

Silent Night

Cruel War

Chester

Rule Britannia

Variations on America (the Ives piece)

Battle Hymn

Profiles in Courage

Yankee Doodle reprise