Cadets 2016

Tobias

Different seasons have different mixes of members and different years present different variables for tour enjoyment and tour success which isn't the same as competitive success.

It's a challenge to discuss these variables in an objective way without it becoming a blame game or dumping on individuals. But it is a discussion which must take place for MMs, for families and sponsors, for donors and alumni, for faculty and staff, and for the BoD, not just the director/CEO/jack of all trades.

It's a discussion vital to maintaining and growing a tremendous eight plus decade of legacy.

No need to apologize. Opinions differ. We (Cadets fans) all want the same thing, I think, and it starts at the top.

GH needs to step down. As much success as he brought in the 80s to early 2000s, he's destroying the corps. Great staff don't want to work with him, judges hate him, volunteers leave...He needs to run YEA, have the board appoint a young, energetic director and a new head design superstar and stay out of the process. Wishful thinking. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

where are the Cadets playing the "whoa is me" or "DCI hates us" card? It's someone on a discussion forum just frustrated with the pattern. This is some on a discussion forum (rightfully) noticing a pattern of "glitches" - and your wording suggest the Cadets are

My fault. That's what I meant. It's a Cadets fan or other DCI fan that was lamenting the glitches and somehow linking that to how the front office must hate Cadets. I just thought to respond here because this is where you reach the bulk of Cadets fans, and I know 99% of them to be awesome, and that includes this Cadets fan as well.

• Like 1

GH needs to step down. As much success as he brought in the 80s to early 2000s, he's destroying the corps. Great staff don't want to work with him, judges hate him, volunteers leave...He needs to run YEA, have the board appoint a young, energetic director and a new head design superstar and stay out of the process. Wishful thinking.

Agreed that this is the correct path, but I don't think he even needs to run YEA. He's a teacher. He loves doing band clinics and he's GREAT at them.

One big problem with attracting talent is that YEA is based in Allentown, PA. No offense to anyone who lives in the area, but it isn't exactly a desirable place to relocate with your family, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Agreed that this is the correct path, but I don't think he even needs to run YEA. He's a teacher. He loves doing band clinics and he's GREAT at them.

One big problem with attracting talent is that YEA is based in Allentown, PA. No offense to anyone who lives in the area, but it isn't exactly a desirable place to relocate with your family, in my opinion.

You can live where ever you want and be on design and instructional staff. I am pretty sure most of the staff right now doesn't live a commutable distance to Allentown.

Twists and turns on this thread. Fun to read. Some directors stepped aside when it was time. Jerry Seawright. Don Warren. Others stayed on. Gail Royer. Jim Jones. Did they outstay their time? I don't know. Gail's corps won a championship in 89. Did Scott Stewart stay too long? This is a super delicate subject. I've heard it said Hop saved the Garfield Cadets. Don't you think he has a sense of when it's time to move on? I bet he does. I would be very hesitant to touch this topic.

• Like 2