Cadets 2016

Tobias

Clearly, we are forgetting it had been 4 years between the time they won in 1993 up until they won again in 1998. We dropped to 4th in 1999 and won in 2000. After that, they hadn't won again until 2005, then hadn't won again until 2011. This happens with Cadets all the time. Just because they're not winning as often as YOU think they should doesn't fire GH make. When the Cavies director left, how many people were disappointed because of the fact that they hadn't won and championship SINCE 2006; 10 YEARS?!?!?! There is clearly a lesson to be learned. We can't just call for a director to leave who has been there for over 30 years and think that a brand new person will get Cadets where you think they should be in a short amount of time. It's time to think logically and stop leading with emotion.

I agree. Everyone has up and down years. GH isn't going to come up with something great every single year. I LOVED last year's show. The theme beat us over the head a little bit, but the music was great and the drill was fantastic. The music this year is great as well. Will it be his time to go at some point? Probably. But, I don't think it's time to throw in the towel yet. I would KILL to see Madison and Regiment in 5th or 6th place, but I do miss the Cadets being in the very top.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

You guys are being ridiculous. Tell me, who would you recommend take over the corps if Hopkins leaves?

Blue Devils were the ones that were smart enough to get him.

True leaders develop their replacements. Hop makes it so the best people to walk in the door from staff to admin to volunteers want to leave and not come back. Heck, you don't even see the ageouts come back to volunteer on tour.

• Like 2

Next year Cadets need a 2003 favorite things type show....maroon and gold traditional uniform and do about 3 classic charts start to finish...go old school and fans would eat it up.

If you could choose 3 or 4 songs to play, what songs would you choose?

• Like 1

Blue Devils were the ones that were smart enough to get him.

True leaders develop their replacements. Hop makes it so the best people to walk in the door from staff to admin to volunteers want to leave and not come back. Heck, you don't even see the ageouts come back to volunteer on tour.

False. I have seen many go back to volunteer as well as some who have gone back to teach.

Hop makes it so the best people to walk in the door from staff to admin to volunteers want to leave and not come back.

I guess Gino and Colin must not be the best people, since they're still with the Cadets. :doh:

• Like 1

A few have yes, but not many as compared to other corps.

Have you? I have.

I have not. I am in the military so I couldn't even if I wanted to. But this has nothing to do with MY volunteering. You made the false statement about no alumni going back to volunteer. I just challenged you on it.

Next year Cadets need a 2003 favorite things type show....maroon and gold traditional uniform and do about 3 classic charts start to finish...go old school and fans would eat it up.

If you could choose 3 or 4 songs to play, what songs would you choose?

Pretty sure some people complained THAT year about it coming in third place.

I agree. Everyone has up and down years. GH isn't going to come up with something great every single year.

You mean like blue devils do?

I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not, but it is discouraging and concerning to me how adamantly some of the hard core cadets guys are defending the status quo. It's not my place to say what cadets should aspire to, in any area, but I don't get why the second most awarded corps in drum corps history is willing to sit through so many gut wrenching seasons.

Maybe I don't have enough experience in drum corps culture to know how these things are playing out behind the scenes, but as an outsider it sure looks like an emotional disaster zone.

• Like 1