Cadets 2016

Tobias

You mean like blue devils do?

I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not, but it is discouraging and concerning to me how adamantly some of the hard core cadets guys are defending the status quo. It's not my place to say what cadets should aspire to, in any area, but I don't get why the second most awarded corps in drum corps history is willing to sit through so many gut wrenching seasons.

Maybe I don't have enough experience in drum corps culture to know how these things are playing out behind the scenes, but as an outsider it sure looks like an emotional disaster zone.

I can tell you that you do not know Cadets well enough if you think they're primarily looking for rings every year. They may be looking to produce great shows year after year, but not everyone can be as great as BD can. It isn't just about status quo. It's also about with whom would you replace him. So many are calling for his head but I haven't seen one suggestion about who would be a good replacement to propel Cadets to 1st place every year.

I did not use the words "no alumni".

Ok "the age-outs" which also sounds like just as much of an absolute statement as "no alumni."

I'm not trying to be mean, really I'm not, but it is discouraging and concerning to me how adamantly some of the hard core cadets guys are defending the status quo. It's not my place to say what cadets should aspire to, in any area, but I don't get why the second most awarded corps in drum corps history is willing to sit through so many gut wrenching seasons.

Maybe I don't have enough experience in drum corps culture to know how these things are playing out behind the scenes, but as an outsider it sure looks like an emotional disaster zone.

Is your definition of a gut wrenching season one where they don't win gold?

Not sure I have all the answers, but I do know when I asked why the board doesn't push for his removal or for major changes, I got the following answer....He picks who is on the board and if someone challenges him then they are kicked off the board and replaced. The checks and balances system is way off and if not fixed soon many believe it will destroy the corps.

Well, of course it is subjective. We all know I haven't been silent about my issues with the Cadets this year, but when I watch the live feeds I always watch the Cadets, and almost never watch the Blue Devils. While I will agree BD never seems to have any shortcomings, their shows just do nothing for me (since 2008). I'd much rather watch a faulty Cadets show than a 99.65 Blue Devils show (with the exception of '06, '08 and '10 Cadets). Normally, I love the Cadets.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

Not sure I have all the answers, but I do know when I asked why the board doesn't push for his removal or for major changes, I got the following answer....He picks who is on the board and if someone challenges him then they are kicked off the board and replaced. The checks and balances system is way off and if not fixed soon many believe it will destroy the corps.

Let me guess, you got that answer from someone else who also dislikes him?

But the Cadets should be up there and be just as great

I completely agree with you. But I am also realistic that it hasn't been the trend throughout their existence. Doesn't mean they always are terrible. Sometimes it means other corps have better shows than they do. But it doesn't always mean the director should be replaced.

• Like 3