Cadets 2016

Tobias

Don't understand how cadets are only 5th in music.

• Like 1

I appreciate every single thing George has done for drum corps. The list is amazing. DCI might not even exist today without him.

But I want to see cadets dominate this idiom and I'm sorry but the organization deserves a better design direction. Just go to one of these TOC shows, it is obvious. Heck Scouts have a better show design than Cadets. Give cadets that show and they medal every single time.

You may be right. It's just ironic to follow the Scouts thread and hear pretty much the same complaints. That the Judas/JCS show is ill conceived and holding back the talent of the members. Maybe it's true in both circumstances. Not my call to make. It's just funny that you chose the Scouts to use as a comparison. The similarty of the sentiments about the respective show designs and corps identity issues across the two threads are remarkable.

• Like 1

There was a poster on here who said that he suggested to Mr. Hopkins to get some color in the silks, and he said that he got a response from Mr. Hopkins right away.

For the critics on here, why don't you write GH with what you want to say? If you know it better, let him know. Please, take the effort from posting here and make it worth something.

I wrote him early last fall with a suggestion for a show. He responded. No, it's not the show they picked, but he listened, he offered his opinion and he was extremely considerate that I took the time to write.

I shot off an email to GH about the Rocky Point thread one Sunday morning in March I think. I figured he'd read it sometime during the week. He emailed me back 15 minutes later. I felt bad bothering him on a weekend! Never met the man. But given his FB posts, this is clearly a guy capable of self-reflection. Now change.... that's another thing.

Calling on GH to step down as Director - very bad idea. Grass is greener syndrome. Should he be less involved in program design? The evidence may be building.

I shot off an email to GH about the Rocky Point thread one Sunday morning in March I think. I figured he'd read it sometime during the week. He emailed me back 15 minutes later. I felt bad bothering him on a weekend! Never met the man. But given his FB posts, this is clearly a guy capable of self-reflection. Now change.... that's another thing.

Calling on GH to step down as Director - very bad idea. Grass is greener syndrome. Should he be less involved in program design? The evidence may be building.

I think this is correct. GH should absolutely be in charge. However, as the designs become so much more involved (and frankly "cutting edge" in that they are driven by the latest design philosophies indoors) it takes someone with their finger on the pulse of the design element. And YEA continues to grow and grow (to Hopkins' credit) which is more and more demanding. There are only 24 hours in a day. You have to delegate and trust. It isn't easy when you care. It isn't easy when you know mistakes will be made.

You must hire carefully and then delegate the responsibility, not the task, of show design and coordination. Hire someone you trust. The answer may be closer than you think. It could be a recent alumni, or a show designer from the activity from a lower tier corps, or a top group from the WGI or indoor world...

• Like 1

I think this is correct. GH should absolutely be in charge. However, as the designs become so much more involved (and frankly "cutting edge" in that they are driven by the latest design philosophies indoors) it takes someone with their finger on the pulse of the design element. And YEA continues to grow and grow (to Hopkins' credit) which is more and more demanding. There are only 24 hours in a day. You have to delegate and trust. It isn't easy when you care. It isn't easy when you know mistakes will be made.

You must hire carefully and then delegate the responsibility, not the task, of show design and coordination. Hire someone you trust. The answer may be closer than you think. It could be a recent alumni, or a show designer from the activity from a lower tier corps, or a top group from the WGI or indoor world...

He hasn't demonstrated any of those traits

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 3

He hasn't demonstrated any of those traits

actually - he did a lot a the beginning of the season and really stepped back (wasn't even at training camp when they were staging the ballad etc)

thing is - you have to hire the right person THEN step back

the drill guy needing replaced was a "Surprise" this year due to family matters, that's one of the big issues they've faced in 2016

actually - he did a lot a the beginning of the season and really stepped back (wasn't even at training camp when they were staging the ballad etc)

thing is - you have to hire the right person THEN step back

the drill guy needing replaced was a "Surprise" this year due to family matters, that's one of the big issues they've faced in 2016

Thanks for making my point. He stated until you get fired in one of his FB videos from Ada. Guess what happened

I have worked with, for and around dozens of organizations that were founded and run by entrepreneurs. Pretty common in Nashville. What I have seen, over and over again, is that entrepreneurs are almost always the worst possible people to run their own companies. They just cannot let go and let other people potentially ruin what they built with so much of their own blood, sweat, tears and money. They would rather ruin it themselves than allow someone else to do it---and as a result, almost without exception, that is precisely what they do.

I could literally list two dozen companies I have worked with and for that have fallen into this cycle of frustration and decline. All of them had the same type of singular, focused, mercurial personality at the top.

It is so hard to take an organization from one level to the next level, and maintain what made you successful while changing to become something bigger and, potentially, better. It takes hiring the right people, and then allowing them to execute their own version of your vision. Very very few people who somehow managed to become successful can do that. It is so hard to make it to the first level of success, that you just cannot let go and allow someone else who has invested so much less than you potentially change things and, possibly, ruin them.

Or worse, make the company successful in a different direction. That is so so painful to watch for the entrepreneur.

The book The E Myth has really transformed how I think on this topic.

• Like 2

Don't understand how cadets are only 5th in music.

GH is not a very liked man. Staff have difficulty with him, volunteers leave and there is absolutely no love for Cadets from the judging community, This 2016 has its design issues but musically they should be very close to the top.
  • Like 2