Cadets 2016

Tobias

Nah, the Bluecoats unis work very nicely. Their effect is otherworldly.

run and gun doesn't win anymore. it barely makes top 4. :(

the cadets have to choose a trend (narrative like crown/bd or conceptual like bloo) and break new ground with it using the modern visual vocabulary that gets rewarded.

they've done it many times before. see 93, 05, and 11 for the most recent examples.

i'ts been 5 years since they've won, and they STILL attract the best of the best talent-wise.

personally, i think they're maybe a season or 2 away from a standard-setting show for the next decade. just a gut feeling. b

Not necessarily talking about strictly run-and-gun. I mean look at Crown. Their music is intense, especially the opener, and the entire show draws you in. Cadets would be wise to develop an intense show concept with great music and drill that is modernized for today's drum corps.

• Like 3

Not necessarily talking about strictly run-and-gun. I mean look at Crown. Their music is intense, especially the opener, and the entire show draws you in. Cadets would be wise to develop an intense show concept with great music and drill that is modernized for today's drum corps.

i agree completely

in that case, you're talking about a more narrative approach with modern vocab, which is what they attempted to do this year. i could definitely see the cadets taking that, and breaking new ground. just go with something off the wall and make it amazing.

they could do the same with a more conceptual show. that's the magic of the talent this corps attracts. and i think even the attempt to try something different this year combined with mr. hopkins frankness is a harbinger of good things to come.

on a side note, i'm very upset that a corps that sounds like poo is beating the cadets. that's about as negative as i'll get about any corps ever, but it' show i feel.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

I really enjoy this year's show (for multiple reasons) but I agree. Something that can get the crowd back on our side is needed.

This is just me thinking out loud but I do think part of the tepid response is the brass writing. Don't get me wrong, I love it and think they have an excellent music book this year. But I do think the brass writing itself sounds... Dated. When I hear it, I associate with "old style." If I had better musical vocabulary, I'd be able to describe it better.

Their brass writing just doesn't sound very modern when you compare them to the likes of the rest of the top 12 (except maybe Phantom). It's very distinct and very Cadets, but I'm not sure if it's "in" anymore.

• Like 1

I couldn't have said it any better. There never was a CLEAR concept for this show.

This is just me thinking out loud but I do think part of the tepid response is the brass writing. Don't get me wrong, I love it and think they have an excellent music book this year. But I do think the brass writing itself sounds... Dated. When I hear it, I associate with "old style." If I had better musical vocabulary, I'd be able to describe it better.

Their brass writing just doesn't sound very modern when you compare them to the likes of the rest of the top 12 (except maybe Phantom). It's very distinct and very Cadets, but I'm not sure if it's "in" anymore.

I think it just needs to be more complicated. Listen to how many times Medea has been played and compare it to this year's edition Crown is playing. It's just absolutely fantastic.

…I liked the show this year, it just felt stale. Like the Cadets weren't sure what story they wanted to tell. Why were the statues coming to life? Why did one push the other off the platform? Just felt really cloudy. I hope they can get a clear concept going next year. And maybe not a show concept that was done the year before by someone else

Whatever happened to that Pearl Harbor idea George kicked around a couple years ago?

• Like 1

The design clearly fell through the floor this season. They need to add some spice and risks to the mix! Update the sound slightly and go for a risk taking, yet fun design.

it feels to me like it was a visual first approach to this show.

and it was a bit of a mess. never clearly articulated to the rest of the staff because it was never fully conceptualized.

bocook is a genius, and it looks like the indecisiveness/obfuscation of the visual approach baffled him.