Cadets 2016

Tobias

Hoping the Cadets have a great run tonight.

I'm not sure that the "new directions", the risky new things" were enough. I'd like to see them be bolder with the changes. There were new staff and I'm sure that was difficult. But the major problem came with the initial design with the result that they were constantly in change mode. They ended up in a good place, but it was difficult. This seemed like a "half-way there" season.

The MMs were (are) among the best in the activity and did the best they could. It had to be a difficult year for them.

I'm with Tekk. I don't care whether it is risky or traditional, I just want a show that people can watch, enjoy and get behind. Vanguard is again proving you don't have to have surround sound and tarps to field an amazing program. If you give Cadets a great show concept, they will out execute it ten times out of ten.

The fundamental issue for cadets over the last decade has been the initial show concepts, and the erratic manner in which changes were decided upon and implemented. Both have alienated far too many people, needlessly.

• Like 3

I'm with Tekk. I don't care whether it is risky or traditional, I just want a show that people can watch, enjoy and get behind. Vanguard is again proving you don't have to have surround sound and tarps to field an amazing program. If you give Cadets a great show concept, they will out execute it ten times out of ten.

The fundamental issue for cadets over the last decade has been the initial show concepts, and the erratic manner in which changes were decided upon and implemented. Both have alienated far too many people, needlessly.

That's fair. I have no vested interest in which way Cadets goes, but going in whole hog one way or the other might make sense. This year it looked like they wanted to do something forward thinking and changed staff to accommodate that. But then they also wanted to be traditional Cadets. And show concept certainly didn't help. With apologies to George Dixon, I'm not sure this story of Statues becoming Human and agonizing about it is either interesting or a story worth being told. Even as an analogy. For an analogy to be effective, the base story should at least make some sense. Maybe some brilliant Broadway Director could do it, but I'm not sure the Cadets could. But certainly those are the kinds of issues that should be worked through in the Fall and Winter in the design meetings, not during the summer.

• Like 1

That's fair. I have no vested interest in which way Cadets goes, but going in whole hog one way or the other might make sense. This year it looked like they wanted to do something forward thinking and changed staff to accommodate that. But then they also wanted to be traditional Cadets. And show concept certainly didn't help. With apologies to George Dixon, I'm not sure this story of Statues becoming Human and agonizing about it is either interesting or a story worth being told. Even as an analogy. For an analogy to be effective, the base story should at least make some sense. Maybe some brilliant Broadway Director could do it, but I'm not sure the Cadets could. But certainly those are the kinds of issues that should be worked through in the Fall and Winter in the design meetings, not during the summer.

Extremely well said, imho. Blue devils intentionally does esoteric subject material, so they can surprise you with a ha moments in staging and music. There is always a method to their madness.

Statues coming to life, fundamentally, isn't an interesting idea, and virtually impossible to communicate on a huge football field. There never was a there there, and the longer the season went, the ongoing panic with changes only reinforced it. Reprising Pines was the smartest thing they could have done under the circumstances. But the middle had no heart, no emotion. So at the end, you don't really care whether the statues were happy or sad, were treated well or not. You don't really even know what the heck happened.

And worst of all, you just didn't care.

Smart, talented, creative people are at the heart of cadets, they will figure it out. I expect them to come back with a roaring show next spring.

• Like 1

To any Cadets reading...

The fact that the Cadets... the Holy Name Cadets... are ranked 5 or 6...

Is nothing more than a testament to the leadership of the organization. To do what you do, and place where you are can mean only one thing...

Drumcorps has become extremely entertaining and highly competitive.

This is all thanks to the highly respected forerunner status of groups like the Cadets.

You are nothing less than championship contenders... don't believe me?... then watch the corps slotted ahead of you and take a count of the things that you see and hear on the field that are manifestations of historical Cadet influence.

Listen to your staff... listen to George... stop reading forums.

The forums are for wannabe fans, couch quarterbacks, and washed up has-beens like myself to keep engaged in something that we love but are disconnected from.

Never take criticism from such people as these!

Now go out and entertain like ONLY the Cadets can.

For the kids - thank you....

• Like 1

Do you people realized you have come up with the title idea for the 2017 show? "NEW DIRECTIONS"

• Like 2

Do you people realized you have come up with the title idea for the 2017 show? "NEW DIRECTIONS"

With a door. :tongue:

• Like 2

With a door. :tongue:

Also in 4 parts.

• Like 1

:worthy: Have a great night Cadets!!! Blow the roof off the place !!! :w00t::cheer::whistle::thumbup:

Let's give them a break. I'm sure they are a little frustrated and disappointed and...human.

Is there not a "no response" policy?