The Cavaliers' Recent Fall in the Standings

They were 8th-10th in all captions, so i don't think it was the percussion section that brought them down.

It was a disjointed program that was executed decently. The illness throughout the corps didn't help either. Opened the door for Phantom and Madison to place ahead of them.

On paper pre-season it seemed that this program could have gotten them back on track and be entertaining/exciting like the 2014 program, but it never gained much traction and ended up being different that I had imagined it would/could be from the program announcement.

Next year will be very interesting to see how aggressive they go. BD, Crown, Cadets, and Coats aren't going anywhere and SCV is a perennial 4th-5th place corps. And the way BK is moving its going to be tough for them to get back in the Top 5. Hope they can, or at the least make 5th-8th a super tight race.

Yeah, that's fair: at finals their Brass was also 10th, so me implying Percussion was a weakness isn't correct.

Out of curiosity, were Cavaliers scoring better mid-season before the illness kit 'em? Obviously if that's the case it's dumb bad luck and maybe we're overreacting a bit

• Like 1

Yeah, that's fair: at finals their Brass was also 10th, so me implying Percussion was a weakness isn't correct.

Out of curiosity, were Cavaliers scoring better mid-season before the illness kit 'em? Obviously if that's the case it's dumb bad luck and maybe we're overreacting a bit

They were ranked higher earlier in the season, but the same could be said about a number of corps. Early season the Blue Stars were scoring higher than Madison and that didn't last, so I wouldn't necessarily blame the fall on the illness.

There have been a number of questionable design decisions since 2010, as well as performance issues in captions that they were historically stronger in.

Will Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Mandarins, Pioneer, et al ever make the DCI Finals Top 12 in our lifetime ? Not even if Science finds a way to have you live 2,000 more years, will it happen under the current Drum Corps system. We all know this here too, if we are honest and frank with ourselves.

well, that's quite a prediction. Since et al means "and others" [from the Latin at alii], I would disagree with your prediction. I do believe there to be several corps that will make top 12 from the "and others", and much sooner than year 4015!!!

• Like 1

I'll echo what most of you have said: when you lose key staff, even if they didn't all leave at once, you still suffer.

The emergence of Bluecoats and Carolina Crown as top 5/top 3 contenders since 2009 has played a role. And as someone noted, BD, Cadets, and SCV are not going anywhere.

As an aside, The Cadets are bringing in a lot of new faces this year (staff), so this might be a time to jump them before their staff locks in. Maybe? But if you know your DCI history in the last 34 years, you will know that the Cadets have only ONE TIME placed lower than top 5 (1991).

Having said that, I've been rooting for the Cavaliers and hope they make it back to being a truly great corps, regardless of placement. It should be perfect for them. Great city (near Chicago), tons of talented HS and college players in that region, and a huge alumni base for support.

My bottom line: the marriage between drill designer, brass arranger, percussion arranger, and guard choreographer is the nucleus that any great show begins with. It's not an easy thing to do, but any truly amazing show begins with these people. Lose any one of them, for whatever reasons, and it's not an easy thing to rebuild.

My bottom line: the marriage between drill designer, brass arranger, percussion arranger, and guard choreographer is the nucleus that any great show begins with. It's not an easy thing to do, but any truly amazing show begins with these people. Lose any one of them, for whatever reasons, and it's not an easy thing to rebuild.

Depends on how you do it. BD transitioned from Wayne doing all the brass arranging to now it being Shawn Glyde (who was a pitster in 84 with me), and John Meehan took over the brass cap head duties a long time ago.

I'll agree that Wayne ScoJo, and Chandler are getting long in the tooth, but they're 1) still producing good, solid, and winning work and 2) if you think they haven't been training their replacements for a LONG time, you're wrong.

They found the formula that works decades ago, and anyone coming up through the instructional ranks will be on board with that.

When the big guys leave, I don't think we'll see that much of a placing issue.

• Like 2

well, that's quite a prediction. Since et al means "and others" [from the Latin at alii], I would disagree with your prediction. I do believe there to be several corps that will make top 12 from the "and others", and much sooner than year 4015!!!

Ok, and thats " quite a prediction too " of yours too as well ( which is fine ). I base my prediction on historical trendlines . its all we got, other than blind faith . Nothing wrong with the utilization of blind faith on any of our predictions here either, of course.

No start up Corps from the last 25 years has made the TOP 12. I don't see any in sight breaking that historical on going trend either. . I made a list of Corps that I believe will never make Top 12 ( they will more than likely fold before they ever do.). Which of these, do you think will make the Top 12 for the first time in the future ?. You mentioned here in your reply that " several " will. Who are they, in your opinion ?

Edited by BRASSO

Depends on how you do it. BD transitioned from Wayne doing all the brass arranging to now it being Shawn Glyde (who was a pitster in 84 with me), and John Meehan took over the brass cap head duties a long time ago.

I'll agree that Wayne ScoJo, and Chandler are getting long in the tooth, but they're 1) still producing good, solid, and winning work and 2) if you think they haven't been training their replacements for a LONG time, you're wrong.

They found the formula that works decades ago, and anyone coming up through the instructional ranks will be on board with that.

When the big guys leave, I don't think we'll see that much of a placing issue.

As much as some will criticize BD for basically anything, they have done things at such a high level, and for such a long period that, that I believe most trying to achieve that sort of consistency needs to look at how things are done in Concord.

Most corps, like most sports teams simply make change for the sake of change when things aren't going quite as well as they hope. And for most, the results never come close to what they look for.

• Like 1

Most corps, like most sports teams simply make change for the sake of change when things aren't going quite as well as they hope. And for most, the results never come close to what they look for.

Can't compare " sports teams" with DCI Drum Corps ( for a myriad of reasons ). All competitive sports in the world have sensible transfer policies in place. DCI has none. As such, DCI/DCA Drum Corps are singularly unique in the world in this regard. As good an organization as BD has been the last 4 decades, could they have won as many titles as they have if they were subjected to the same transfer policies that all sports in the world have ? Of course not. No " team " has dominated a " sport " like BD has in DCI. You can't find such domination by any other " team " in any other " sport " in the world the last 40 years. ( and BD will continue to dominate over the next 40 years in my opinion in this system if unchanged. ) I've resigned myself to this, as the prevailing sentiment sems to be that developing reasonable and sensible transfer policies that all sports leagues have ( from town Little League, Pop Warner, Soccer, etc all the way up to the Colleges and then even to the Pros ) is unthinkable. Ok, so BD's domination of the DCI Titles ( or as Runners Up ) it will be, for the next 40-80 years too. It is what it is, and so it will continue to be, imo. Lets face it, when it comes to DCI Championships ( or Runners up ) its really the Blue Devils................ and then everybody else.

Edited by BRASSO

Ok, and thats " quite a prediction too " of yours too as well ( which is fine ). I base my prediction on historical trendlines . its all we got, other than blind faith . Nothing wrong with the utilization of blind faith on any of our predictions here either, of course.

No start up Corps from the last 25 years has made the TOP 12. I don't see any in sight breaking that historical on going trend either. . I made a list of Corps that I believe will never make Top 12 ( they will more than likely fold before they ever do.). Which of these, do you think will make the Top 12 for the first time in the future ?. You mentioned here in your reply that " several " will. Who are they, in your opinion ?

well, given a 2000 year window of accomplishment you opined, I think odds are in favor of not only one current DCI member [choose any from 13th onward that floats your boat] will attain said status, but I also believe at least another will have a "meteoric" rise of success akin to the 1985 startup from Indiana [10th to first in 6 years, I believe]. Yeah, in 2000 years, I think that will happen. Probably fewer years than that, but that's what my blind faith tells me.