Troopers 2016

Wow! Looks like an excellent brass turnout! The Long Blue Line!!!!!!!

Anybody who attended camp have any reports?

I think the main question is: Can 1 or 2 sections in Troopers overtake Crossmen or Boston's respective sections? I think Troopers brass created a lot of momentum last season which can really propel them into this year. It will be interesting to see what the retention rate on brass will be and whether the average age of the brass line goes up this year. I think that has to happen to capitalize on the momentum brass created and maybe leapfrog Crossmen or Boston's brass. And I still think with Rennick's writing and his protege Lauren Teel there, percussion can also overtake either Crossmen and/or Boston's percussion sections.

From Troopers site: "Turnout was strong at the most recent camp Jan. 15-17 in Mesquite, Texas, he said, and is expected to even stronger at the next camp, scheduled for Feb. 19-21, also in Mesquite. The average age and skill levels of the young people auditioning for a spot in the corps continues to increase from previous years, VanDoren said."

Yes! Not to brag but I called it!

New uniforms? Oh lord. Here we go. Head implodes in three...two...one. Speculations anybody?

The full January camp report, which appears under the headline "season preview," is here. In reality, a true preview isn't expected until February, according to the article. But interesting nonetheless.

Since in some areas of the country, a "hero" sandwich is referred to as a "sub"...and since DVD said "expect to hear music you wouldn't expect to hear from the Troopers.", I can't help but think...

Announcing the Troopers' 2016 Program, "Yellow Submarine." And the new uni will consist of attire from the album cover.

:sarcasm: :ninja: :sarcasm: :ninja: :sarcasm::ninja: :sarcasm: :peek: :peek: :peek:

Edited by HornTeacher

I don't think they would change the hat at all but I would predict a much sleeker, simpler uniform - maybe going with all dark blue / black for better visual scores?

• Like 1

I don't think they would change the hat at all but I would predict a much sleeker, simpler uniform - maybe going with all dark blue / black for better visual scores?

Personally, I'd LOVE a return to the all-black.

• Like 1

Wow! Looks like an excellent brass turnout! The Long Blue Line!!!!!!!

I am impressed by the size of the contra line although this does seem be the Year of the Tuba given the number several corps are sporting for the upcoming season.

DVD, although a soprano player by history, always produces horn lines with a full, rich sound with much depth. I can't wait to hear.

this does seem be the Year of the Tuba

no kidding. David Glasgow of the Bluecoats told me at the Canton camp back in November that contra was the second most competitive spot this year after snares. WTF? My son was auditioning on tuba and didn't make bloo so he tried with the Blue Stars. They had 25 people for 7 uncrontracted spots at the callback camp this last weekend. Happily for him, although contras were flush, bari-euphs were not so he took a spot as a euphonium player. I think he'd prefer tuba but as he says "I don't care, I'm marching World Class DCI". What's going on with tubas this year?