Troopers 2016

Next up, Cadets with a uniform revamp that will make everything explode.

If The Cadets changed their 75+ year long classic and iconic cadet - style uniform for some artsy fartsy avant- garde uniform that would have them become essentially unrecognizable and indistinquishable from all the other Drum Corps, this just might go down as one of the dumbest uniform choice decisions ever in Drum Corps history, imo. It would puzzling enough to abandon their classic colors for black as they did right before Championships last season ( and got zero mileage placement wise for that decision ), but it would be really strange to see them change the traditional Corps colors AND the Cadet - Style uniform. If they did this, they should just go all the way and change even their Corps name from " Cadets" to something " more modern " to like... oh I don't know... to The Artistes, from Allentown, Pa. or some such. Thats why however the Cadets won't throw their iconic Cadet style uniform overboard any time soon, imo. As for The Troopers, I would hope most people would reserve judgement on their uniform change until we actually see the girls and guys in them on the field.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm new to DCP and have just skimmed this topic....It seems some might be under the impression that Michael Cesario designed the new Troopers uniform? Actually, the designer is Michael Raiford.

http://troopersdrumcorps.org/aboutus/educational-team/visual-coordinator

Then I apologize to Mr. Cesario, lead designer at FJM for so many seasons of our activity.

He's allowed an extra hour or two with his favorite Easter Chocolates in his basket.

• Like 1

I'm new to DCP and have just skimmed this topic....It seems some might be under the impression that Michael Cesario designed the new Troopers uniform? Actually, the designer is Michael Raiford.

http://troopersdrumcorps.org/aboutus/educational-team/visual-coordinator

No where in his bio does it actually say he or anyone else for that matter, on the Trooper design team, designed this new Trooper uniform.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

No where in his bio does it actually say he or anyone else for that matter, on the Trooper design team, designed this new Trooper uniform.

Nope, not in his portfolio link either as given in Troopers' cited announcement. Much of Urinetown, but none of Troopers. http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelraiford/sets/

Edited by xandandl

I've long since learned to not judge a new uniform until I see it on the field, and how it fits a particular corps' show/theme.

Man... when Crown dropped the cream unis a few years back for the multi-colored ones with the tall hats, my first reaction after seeing the promo photo was... well... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. :tongue:

But when I saw them on the field, those unis, to me, were a great fit for what Crown was trying to accomplish that year.

I can agree with that for almost all corps..... The Troopers (DCI) and The Caballeros (DCA) are two corps whose name describes an actual person's identity. Madison makes uniform changes, but always stay close to their "scout" look. The Cadets also stay close to their military school image.If you're going to be the 11th Ohio Regiment, then you should dress that way......I liked the new Cabs look, until the alumni corps followed them onto the field. And when the alumni corps and competing corps merged for the final, I wondered who that was out their with the Caballeros. Cabs and Troopers should leave uniform experimentation in the color guard..... why would the two corps with the most distinguishable look change from that look?

• Like 1

Here's a question to throw out about the Troop in 2016....their Percussion Caption Head is a female (Lauren Teel). How many times has a world class corps had a female as a percussion caption head? I can think of many techs over the years, but not many, if any, caption heads.

Edited by ibexpercussion

Here's a question to throw out about the Troop in 2016....their Percussion Caption Head is a female (Lauren Teel). How many times has a world class corps had a female as a percussion caption head? I can think of many techs over the years, but not many, if any, caption heads.

i remember when Sandra Opie made that big breakthrough with SkyRyders' brass and Shirlee Whitcomb with Stockton Commodores' visual. There may have been one DCI visual designer who was a woman but my mind is drawing a blank. Yes percussion head in DCI is rather unique for a woman.

i remember when Sandra Opie made that big breakthrough with SkyRyders' brass and Shirlee Whitcomb with Stockton Commodores' visual. There may have been one DCI visual designer who was a woman but my mind is drawing a blank. Yes percussion head in DCI is rather unique for a woman.

I suspect Sandra's "breakthrough" was actually with Argonne.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

I can agree with that for almost all corps..... The Troopers (DCI) and The Caballeros (DCA) are two corps whose name describes an actual person's identity. Madison makes uniform changes, but always stay close to their "scout" look. The Cadets also stay close to their military school image.If you're going to be the 11th Ohio Regiment, then you should dress that way......I liked the new Cabs look, until the alumni corps followed them onto the field. And when the alumni corps and competing corps merged for the final, I wondered who that was out their with the Caballeros. Cabs and Troopers should leave uniform experimentation in the color guard..... why would the two corps with the most distinguishable look change from that look?

I tend to think there just may be another...............

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ymkfNB3shbw/Sk_CUEosdkI/AAAAAAAAH78/fznv7DAG_WU/s400/p54.jpg