Troopers 2016

Here's the last drawing that was posted here back in March.

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2101ebaade194a1a9027f75e2&id=6a93ffae5d

Looking at the drawing and the pictures posted, there are some differences. Look at the size of the epaulets on the finished product vs. the drawing. Also, the open piece at the bottom of the uniform looks almost squared in the drawing but comes across as more curved in the finished product.

in addiiton, the drawing has a buckle on the belt hanging below the jacket. Maybe they haven't arrived yet in addition to the gauntlets the drawing has.

I feel terrible for those kids that are now paying thousands of dollars to come off as the cast of Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World.

I wouldn't feel terrible for them, they'll be off enjoying everything a season of drum corps will offer. Surely they aren't so shallow as to be bothered by the trivial musings of some who might not be fond of a specific design choice.

• Like 4

Not a fan. I think a big piece of me just died a little. I hope they do well. I wish them all the best. If this is what it takes to be a modern drum corps, so be it. Man, I feel old...and disappointed.

bartender.... toss this guy here a refill. Its on me.

Edited by BRASSO

I wouldn't feel terrible for them, they'll be off enjoying everything a season of drum corps will offer. Surely they aren't so shallow as to be bothered by the trivial musings of some who might not be fond of a specific design choice.

And there are also many young and old who like the change IF it looks anything like the rendering. Often it doesn't though, no one is built like that..lol

So after studying it in detail versus my first 10 second glance in the parade.

I do think aesthetically there are some problems with it. For sure. Looks like 3 different uniforms pieced together. The cream torso, navy legs, and denimesque sleeves look like they're from three different uniforms. The bottom of the top looks like an untucked shirt the way it curves up and down around the legs/crotch/ect. The sleeves look really out of place. And the torso looks like it's trying to be an old school uniform with the gold fringe and...stuff. When I caught a glance, I thought it looked nice. Sitting and looking at it, yeah, some issues.

I'm not going to go so far as to say these kids should be embarrassed to wear the thing, honestly I think that's a ridiculous thing to say. I'll give it another chance when I see them live, if it looks really good from up top, I'll be okay with it. But it's not so bad that it's going to distract me from the show. Honestly, I'll probably forget about it completely once they start playing.

So in short, I definitely liked their previous iteration a ton better. But, it's a uniform, and if that's the most of their problems, there are some good things going on. Can't wait to see the show, that has not changed at all. Kinda reminds you about why we actually have a 3 day weekend......think it will be an emotional heavy hitter!

• Like 1

Dear marching arts uniform designers...

As the current and growing debacle that are the new Troopers uniform is showing, you guys need to learn that the design sketches sometimes do not work.

1) Real people do not have 19 inch waists.

2) Real people are fat, skinny, big-hipped, have boobs (note that the sketch is always a male figure), etc....what looks good on paper sometimes looks like a steaming pile in real life.

3) How about learning some 3D modeling to better get a grasp of how the designs might look on different body types? The software's out there.

Btw...that includes adding instruments in playing position. There's no point in having something elaborate on the chest if it's gonna be hidden by a mellophone bell.

Same could be said of simulating how the ensemble would look from the GE box.

Artistic expression is all well and good....but in our activity, it MUST bow to real life, not fantasy.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

I've never liked Troopers' uniforms (too plain and boring) and I still don't, but only for the fact that this uniform looks clunky. I think the color scheme works really well, but the execution of it was bad.

I LOVED the Troopers old uniforms, mainly because it looked so much like Ohio's 11th Infantry uniform (I'm from there!) and how classy they were. These uniforms aren't... Horrible, but I'm not gonna lie, I expected Buzz Lightyear to show up while watching the livestream of that parade.