Troopers 2016

let's just call a spade a spade: Troopers were not ever going to crack back into Finals with designs like the 2014 - 2015 shows.

So missing Finals in 2015 by 0.075 = they were "not ever going to crack back into Finals"? Not to mention getting the 10th best GE I and 12th best GE II scores?

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 3

I see both good and bad in these uniforms. First of all, I think they don't look quite as horrible as some people are bemoaning. Secondly, I think the color scheme is needed. One complaint we've heard a lot in the last few years is that the members don't pop off the field enough to have the drill and visuals be as effective. So it's a definite plus in that regard.

On the other hand, I can definitely see how they could be improved. My big thing is either make those sashes look like actual belts or ditch 'em quick. Ever since 2008 we have joked about the "curse of the baldrics," as we've tried a few times to add in a belt-looking baldric that never stays on and never looks right. I'm honestly kind of surprised they decided to try them again. It's the same reason they decided to ditch the neck scarves.

Overall, I honestly don't hate them. I don't LOVE them yet, but I still have yet to seem on a field and in context of the show.

• Like 2

So missing Finals in 2015 by 0.075 = they were "not ever going to crack back into Finals"? Not to mention getting the 10th best GE I and 12th best GE II scores?

Fair enough point. In my opinion, their close score at Semis was much more reflective of what I felt was a really weak Crossmen performance. Further evidence for a low Crossmen score and glitchy performance was their much closer gap to Blue Stars in Finals (the 1.6 Semis gap decreased to .1ish), and a more moderate gap from Prelims (right over a point between Crossmen & Blue Stars). Probably my opinion only, but looking over my notes from the Semis webcast last year, I remember Crossmen having a few odd timing tears, entrance issues, etc. But, point taken nonetheless. I guess the argument I'm trying to make is that Troop has had limited success these last few years trying to move forward while also trying to make a more conservative style of design work, and I am quite excited to see them move forward this year, both in terms of show design and the overall look of the ensemble.

Good point. I've always wondered what went down when Bridgemen changed their uniforms in the 70's. Was everything ok or did people react the same way - like Faye Dunaway in her role as Joan Crawford (Mommie Dearest) and someone put clothing on a wire coat hanger.

What was it like when Bridgemen changed their uniforms in 1976? With some it was the end of the world, far too radical. It's hard to say which bothered people more, the uniforms or what would have been considered an irreverent nod to drum corps traditions. It wasn't the innovation. This would have been the time of Blue Devils and "Channel One," and 27th's nonstop guard. I was only 13 at the time, but I can remember all kinds of comments positive and negative at the time. Now Bridgemen is a beloved old school corps. With the younger crowd, Bridgemen had a fan base similar to that of Crown or Bluecoats but traditionalists had issues.

• Like 1

It's been a good while since I have posted. During the off season I'm very busy with honing my bridge skills and playing in tournaments around town at the various homes. Also, I've found myself playing a lot of slots lately.

My plan entering this drum corps season was to reveal the kinder, gentler me. Y'all may not believe this but I'm actually a sweet woman, but this year has been a real test for me. For example, this dadgummed election cycle has me all twisted. I mean! Seriously, I could go to my local WalMart and randomly pick better candidates than what we're left with. Heck, I'd even vote for Mr. Hopkins over these buffoons if he were running. But, I digress.

With my ulcers flaring up, I decided to turn on this internet and read some drum corps news to brighten my day. Ha! Instead I came across this thread about the Troopers' new uniforms and I quickly realized this is one big elaborate ploy to lure me into being cranky again. My adult children are always telling me that I don't have a filter and I need to just keep my opinions to myself. I admit...at my age...that is very difficult.

I think it's late enough in the day to get a stiff gin and tonic.

• Like 5

Good point. I've always wondered what went down when Bridgemen changed their uniforms in the 70's.

Some liked it... some didn't. Its the same whenever a Corps changes their uniforms. There is no correlation by the way between the duds a Corps decides to wear, and placements. Corps have radically changed their traditional uniforms and colors and have moved up in placements, while others have quickly fallen back in placements, then disapeared altogether, and folded. Other Corps have kept their unifiorm styles and colors and moved up in placements, despite not changing their uniforms in the least. Others with no radical changes in their uniforms and colors fell back in placements, then disappeared. Bottom line ? Uniforms ( or costumes if one prefers ) has no relationship to upward or downward placements no matter what anybody tries to tell you. What moves Corps up or down in placements is the adult created show designs,, principally, the Visual/ Guard. With the Guards being so important, and Guards changing their costumes EVERY season, it really does not matter a wit what the snares are wearing or the tubas are wearing. As for the Troopers, they have changed their uniforms a lot over the recent years, and it has not changed their placements much at all. Troopers will move up, down, or sideways this seaaon in placements, but it won't have anything at all to do with their uniforms and guard costuming they decided to go with this season. Cadets were ranked in 2nd , 3rd place mid season when they scrapped their traditional colors for their uniform for the unprecedented black colors for Championships. They wound up in 4th place. The radical change in their traditional colors had them fall in placement after the change. Should the Cadets finish higher than 4th this season with the identical uniform and colors they wore at Finals last August, that same uniform and its colors won't have anything to do with the rise in placement either.

Edited by BRASSO

Whenever a Corps changes its primary style of uniforms and colors, it is assumed in some quarters that the change becomes a " modern look ". Whats that all about ? I may or may not like the Troopers uniform.. I'll decide that in its complete iteration that it will be once I see it live, on the field of DCI competition.... but if I ultimately decide I prefer it ( or don't prefer it ) over their previous uniforms and colors, it won't be because its " modern " or " not modern enough ".... or " not traditional Calvary inspired". or whatever. It will be based upon whether I see it as eye appealing as previous uniforms the Troopers have worn or not. I get the sense from reading sone posts on here however, that some like the uniform because its ..... " modern ". I frankly don't know what that means, when its denin, cream colors, cowboy, cowgirl hats, etc... things I've seen worn dozens of times with marching bands that have worn similar to this for many decades. So I really don't know what these few fans are referring to with this Troopers " modern look " biz comments. Oh well, like I said, I will reserve judgement when the final product of the uniform is seen in competition. Basically, I'm looking for a good show from the Troopers again this season. Something they generally provide to fans most years.

Edited by BRASSO

It's been a good while since I have posted. During the off season I'm very busy with honing my bridge skills and playing in tournaments around town at the various homes. Also, I've found myself playing a lot of slots lately.

Don't eliminate consideration of the Gerber Convention. It can be your friend...