Troopers 2016

It won't surprise me in the least to see the sunburst appear on the final hit of "Fix You" late in the season. In fact, I'll bet that they have something up their sleeves to make it the old Troop sunburst in a new light. Purely a case of saving it 'till it counts most.

Nice thought, but no. You don't add a sunburst late in the season. It takes a complete season to get it right. Troop has never thrown one in at the final hour. There's a first time for everything, but the show they have now is enough of a visual beast to keep their complete attention right through August.

This show reminds me very much of Madison's 9/11 show (New York Morning).

Nice thought, but no. You don't add a sunburst late in the season. It takes a complete season to get it right. Troop has never thrown one in at the final hour. There's a first time for everything, but the show they have now is enough of a visual beast to keep their complete attention right through August.

Maybe not final hour, but Troop added a burst-like effect in the last month in 2009...

I wasn't saying START it at the end of the season. But it can be worked on...and reserved for later usage. We'll see.

A homer's quick thoughts:

Mellos!

Trumpets improved, too. Sounding confident.

Hard to get a real good read through a cell-phone vidcam, but the unis look fine from the seats. The "X" pattern to them projects a kind of cross-sabres look; hadn't really struck me before. The lighter jackets and white hats expands the visual impact; they look big, and the forms snap into focus more sharply than in the previous uniforms. The light look to the guard helps with this, too.

Sound quality through a condenser mic in a nearly-empty dome made drums almost impossible to read. Sad face.

First drum feature seemed long-ish; wonder if they'll tweak that around a bit or if there are bigger visual elements yet to be introduced.

You could see the kids thinking about their feet; that will improve of course. There is an overall visual confidence on display, however; the corps knows when and where to move. The quest for clean never ends, but they have a solid visual foundation.

There are some massive moments that will rock the house. In-between, some currently obvious transitions that, with refinement, will help link those moments more tightly.

Opening narration is nothing Blue Knights haven't done for several years -- to applause. I hope the sirens are dialed down a bit. Perhaps in person they don't pierce the ambient sound as much as they drilled through the mic on the vidcam.

Loved the red streamers in "fire." Very cool. Only a guess, but there seems to be room for more visuals, props, something to be added as the season progresses. But I really have no idea, of course.

Guard seems more on top of it at this stage than I recall in previous seasons. Again, just a greater sense of visual confidence.

"Fix you" is going to be one of the don't-misses of the year. The kids are really going to feel it, out there on the field. Could be one of the more powerful connection points between performers and audience in 2016. Beautiful arrangement.

Four hours of rehearsal in LOS capped by a solid dress-rehearsal run. Put this day in the win column.

• Like 2

"Fix you" is going to be one of the don't-misses of the year. The kids are really going to feel it, out there on the field. Could be one of the more powerful connection points between performers and audience in 2016. Beautiful arrangement.

The Boxer hit anyone?

Love the recap coffeeman, but I'm gonna have to disagree about narration not being any different than what the Blue Knights do. The narration BK uses is pre-recorded by a professional voice and the narration is typically discussing something philosophical or is using a singer. It's also edited in a way to make the voice sound ethereal. The narration Troopers used sounded amateurish and cringeworthy. It reminded me of Cadets 2007.

Don't get me wrong, this show is probably going to be one of my favorites this year regardless, but comparing this narration to BK's narration is doing a disservice to the Blue Knights